TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:52:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson and the late Ivor Cutler  (Read 5170 times)
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« on: April 17, 2006, 06:06:22 PM »

I got a bit confused recently (errr...more than I usually am).  Roll Eyes

I always thought Richard Thompson wrote music & lyrics for Wheely Down, which is on the Henry the Human Fly album.  However some website or other has credited the song to Ian Kearney and Ivor Cutler.

Presumably this has happened because Ivor and Ian performed the song on that RT tribute album whose name escapes me. But it did make me crack up because Richard don't half sound like Ivor on his original recording (with a bit of 1970's period M*rt*n C*rthy mixed in).

What the **** is the song about anyway?  Had Richard been watching The Wicker Man while drinking Adnams?  I think Wheely Down is in Hampshire, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Can any of you erudite people shed light on all this?

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:37:19 PM »

i always thought it was a Thommo original, i havnt checked the lp
 (edit  3 mins later)i have just checked my old lp and all the songs are thommo originals
 so hed better get the lawyers onto this

Ivor did the song on the bbc proramme about him a couple of weeks ago

The Dude abides
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 06:59:21 PM »

I think I can clear this one up. There was a Hokey Pokey charity album called The World Is a Wonderful Place on which various artists performed songs by Richard Thompson. Ivor Cutler and Ian Kearey performed Wheely Down on that album.

Unless someone knows better. . .
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 08:15:40 PM »

Thanks for that guys, I think it was probably some anal retentive making a genuine mistake.

Mind you, still don't know what Richard was on when he wrote it! But it's very atmospheric and reminiscent of Keith Roberts' wonderful science fiction novel Pavane (now we know a song about Pavanes don't we!)

Cheers - Ed

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
x

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 08:41:29 PM »

hi ed,
wonderful song is wheely down.very reminiscent of childhood holidays. mill on the floss perhaps?
An absolute doddle on the guitar. i just play an open G with an additional C on the B string. sounds awful on its own but it suits the song perfectly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: