TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:11:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Talkawhile Live Hits Ipswich!  (Read 5873 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« on: May 13, 2005, 12:57:04 AM »

Mr Hughes did a marvelllous radio session (Blue Car & Jelly Babe) and followed it with an exemplary set at The Steamboat. Regular fans, casual listeners and bootleggers alike will be pleased to hear that the entire set was minidisc'd, including a splendid stand-up comedy intro by MC Simon Talbot with references to "the sinister organisation known as the 'folk corporation' - a shadowy movement devoted to getting young people to listen to Ralph McTell" as well as references to Hughes' upcoming appearance on Channel 5 flagship show "Celebrity Proctology" and a topical reference to the pulp conspiracy/ventiloquism bestseller 'The DeCourcey Code'. There was also a very moving Ammanford-related dedication for 'An Ordinary Life'. I'm playing it now.....  Cry
Thanks Mr Hughes for taking time out to play for us, and thanks to all the Talkawhilers who came out tonight - Fat Billy, Anji, Cocker, Mix,
MrsSkirky, your medals are in the post.  Kiss
Shane

ps there were flashbulbs aplenty tonight. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the evidence.... Wink
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 01:35:10 AM by Skirky » Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 08:42:58 AM »

As young Shane said a great night, pictures will be forthcoming.
SftBH where at their top form, I have heard them play better but not often, couple of new songs which were nice and some old favorites ("special kind of mother f***ing love" indeed shane!!)
And as for david hughes....well!
now some of you may know that i have to be in the right mood for david, and last night I was, and by heck so was he.
he played a superb set and sitting a few feet away I got to inspect his guitar technique, My word thats some talent.
I really enjoyed davids set last night even though I now feel like giving my guitars away and taking up needle point.
Those of you going to Oxford this weekend are in for a rare treat, both SftBH and David are on top form....Enjoy.

On a personal note, how nice to meet Mic and Anji in the flesh at last, what lovely ladies every bit as nice as they appear on these pages.
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 03:17:37 AM »

OK....
as has been noted on this board previously I don't memorise set lists Embarrassed so what I will give you is an atmosphere and excitement review (with the odd title lobbed in to prove I was really there, and not totally out of my brain)
The Steamboat is a smashing pub, intimate for live gigs, which was fine by me as the action was up close and personal. We arrived early as Shane had to transport lots of gear. The sun was shining and a breeze kept us cool in the beer garden. The effervescent Anji was an absolute joy to meet again (wearing fantastic shoes, I might add!!) Furthermore, I can recommend the chicken curry (yum yummity yum  Tongue)
Anyway, it wasn't too long before the magicians of music began to arrive, David Hughes, what an absolutely lovely man!!!. Bill, arrived and again, a lovely fella (with camera) however, I discovered that he too is photogenic (evidence to follow in due course).  Hannah, is the sweetest live wire you could ever wish to meet. SftBH started to arrive in force then, James and Helen (fresh from the twin's bathtime) and once again my point was proved......only the nicest people frequent this board (and the most talented) Helen looked absolutely radiant, and James? well what a poppet!!! Can't leave out Mr Kirk now can I, I will ruin his street cred forever...nice, kind, lovely and makes a cracking cup of tea Cheesy

Ok OK the music.  SftBH opened with Don't Ever Let It Go.... Barnes had a new toy (techy stuff) and it seemed to want to join in itself with a bit of buzzing....which Barnes never heard the end of; Shane and James ribbed him mercilessly, and we all laughed......poor lad, but he took it in good part, and sorted himself out. The set continued...Helen sang Not That Kind of Girl, her voice, crystal clear and somehow managing to sound innocence itself but earthy as well (well I mean, how do you describe a beautiful voice?)......onward and Strange Kind of Love was dedicated to our Bill.
Later in the set, tribute was paid to Ces, the song was lovely, but I was a bit emotional and I didn't get the title I'm afraid, but it was a fitting tribute to Ces. Fragments brought the set to the end, and whilst I was eager to hear David Hughes, I could have gone on listening to the lads forever.

Right then.....here I crave your forgiveness, unlike the vast majority of members, David Hughes was known to me only by reputation prior to this night, so Titles will be missing from the following...
At last I can fully join in with the fullsome praise often seen on this board, because now I know what you have all been raving about!!!!!! the man is just awesome. That one figure, seated, guitar in hand, can have so much power over an audience, if there is anyone else left here who hasn't seen DH perform live....don't put it off any longer, 'this' you have got to see and hear.
Never needing to shout his words, his words exude a quiet authority, a power that comes, not from volume, but from the heart. Humour is in plentiful supply, but there within lie serious points, all made with a grace that is often missing from 'mainstream'.
I loved the rap songs, not something I ever thought I'd say, but, they were different, he took the genre, shook it well, turned it on it's head and made music out of it......and you could hear every word Wink  As I said, this 'review', for want of a better word, isn't the kind you are used to, I can't remember the list.....but I hope it will serve as the thoughts of one who, until Thursday night, had never been priviledged to hear the music of David Hughes.
I've tried to show, the impression that came on first hearing and seeing......I said he was awesome, and I meant just that; I was completely in awe of the man and his music.

I am now the proud owner of Recognised, which DH was kind enough to sign for me, a lasting momento of the most fanatastic night, and the germ of a whole new CD collection.

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: