TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:11:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Bellowhead, Cambridge  (Read 16598 times)
Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« on: April 24, 2006, 10:43:34 AM »

Wasn't that a brilliant gig!. Two new tunes as welll (not that I can remember how they go..!) and some grand re-arrangements of stuff we're familiar with. As usual I danced so much my feet are still sore... Grin

Cheers

Fi
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 10:53:17 AM »

You are in for a real treat, then!
You were not wrong  . I was a Bellowhead virgin --not knowing what to expect.  I thouroughly enjoyed that gig . What made it all the better was meeting AnnieD  and partner ,Ethans Gran and her 2 lovely friends , Nick,Fi,and their friends AND of course JJ and Hubby. A great night all round .  Fez

You are what you eat !!!
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 11:34:54 AM »

Great gig. Cambridge Junction could do with a stage though. The band were on the same level as the audience. It wasn't until she sang that we knew for certain whether Rachel the cellist was there!

I like the fact that they are still arranging and re-arranging the songs as the tours go on. Several familiar pieces sounded very different as melodies and counterpoints were passed around the band - different even from having seen them only a couple of weeks ago.

This is a very inventive and talented band and definitely still the best live band on the scene right now.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:48:39 PM »

Bellowhead were absolutely superb in Bury on Saturday evening - Pity it was an all seated gig though.  Sad

Is now a good time to mention the Thursday headlining spot at Cropredy 2007……………………

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 04:57:54 PM »

Bellowhead were absolutely superb in Bury on Saturday evening - Pity it was an all seated gig though.  Sad

Ditto in Southport the week before, would love to see them in a venue I could move about in  Grin

Happy mainly.
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 07:42:13 PM »

I really enjoyed last night, I think it's the best gig I've ever seen them do.  At first I hated the brass, now it all seems to fit together so well, and they all seem to be having such a good time. And so many great tunes.

(I STILL hate Flash Company though)

And listening to Radio3 on the way home, that was great too.

Lovely to see Fi and Nick, and to meet Pastieboy! (see you at Leicester)

Nick I agree with you about the stage, and you're tall!!
I still rather be down there on the floor than up in the seats.

I even didn't grizzle about going out on a Sunday night.

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Ethans Granny (Carolyn)
going off to join the circus

Loc: Banbury

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 08:34:56 AM »

I came back from Cambridge yesterday having stayed the night in the same Travelodge as the band   Shocked

The gig was terrific, and the only fault was, as Nick said, the fact that there was no stage - we didn't even get the full effect of Jon Boden chucking his jacket off.  I can't belieeeeeve how hard they work, specially John and Jon.  How wonderful it must be to be so creative (envious smiley).

Lovely to see Nick and Fi again, and to meet Pastieboy, JJ and Mr JJ, and AnnieD (from a distance).  See more of you nex time.

Carolyn

Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 09:43:18 AM »

I came back from Cambridge yesterday having stayed the night in the same Travelodge as the band   Shocked

Hi Ethans Granny, sorry I didn't get to say hello, I'm amazed at the distances people travel to see the band!

Did you have breakfast with them?  Sleepy

My highlight of the Big Session last year was breakfast with the Oysterband (well, we were in the same room!)

Anne

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Ethans Granny (Carolyn)
going off to join the circus

Loc: Banbury

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 10:05:20 AM »

Hello Annie.

No - I scuttled over the way to Bella Pasta.  I'd love to have the nerve to stand my ground - they're only people, after all, and nice ones at that - but ....  no   Roll Eyes  One day I'll be big and brave, but until then I'll carry on being me.

Carolyn
vikki rose
Sleeves rolled up

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 09:21:05 PM »

I can't believe how many of you were at Southport! I was on the look out for the tiara/fez brigade but didn't spot anyone (mind you i didn't know I was going till the day before, when i got home & my middle brother made a suprise presentation of the tickets). They were fab though, although I got mildly distressed at not being able to dance. Kip really enjoyed them too especially Pete doing his drum & bass interlude (no accounting for taste). Brilliant, really really brilliant & I've nearly completed a review from OFF. Will stick it up when its done.
Vikki xx

Friends of the Oxford Folk festival. F OFF in the nicest possible way......
www.oxfordfolkfestival.com
www.oxfolk.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: