TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:54:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport film  (Read 37462 times)
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 01:02:38 AM »

You have a great attitude. But we are very much different creatures. I am a avid collector. I respect artists, but that doesn't include not getting more more more. The author of this thread is 55 and has never seen FC. I doubt that FC has any plans on officially releasing said footage. He could very well leave this mortal world before the footage is officially released. So I am happy that he has it. I think that Jude's view of horrible performances (are we talking about the same footage? You are fine in the video I saw.)  is understandable. But these performances were on tv.  I also understand Maart's view of unreleased not for public material. But I doubt I will change my collecting ways. It is my nature. I am not disrespecting artists. I would rather have official releases. Next is a fair trade. But I do pay for bootlegs, which does provide a black market with mullah. Its not evil, but it is not good. I think it is a grey area. I do have a need to posses. I am not as nice as you. Again, I respect you and everybodies viewpoint. I guess I am selfish.

ps I love Hammil on Fripp's solo  Exposure. His voice is so unique.

Hm. There's something about respect here.

Because I love much of Peter Hammill's stuff ENORMOUSLY, from time to time I'm offered bootlegs
(some free, some affordable, some not affordable)

and I turn them down, even when they've been of gigs which were wonderful.

Because I don't actually have the need to possess all the work he's done,

especially when he's said that some of it is not to be released, for whatever reason.

And I choose to respect his wishes over my desire to have.

And that applies to all.

I suddenly feel very old fashioned.   Grin

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2006, 08:39:50 PM »

This issue of ancient films, bootlegs etc. is so difficult!

I must admit that I did illegally download one of those Fotheringay vids which surfaced recently - frankly the quality's rubbish, but it's great to see Sandy and Trev again.

Waited for the Sandy bit on Folk Britannia with bated breath - 30 plus years on I was really worried that she might not be as good as I remember her. But she was....pity they chose the wrong song......

We can hope that with the increase of interest in folk music, we may be vouchsafed more rare material via official channels like the BBC , but I ain't holding my breath!

There is an entire documentary about Ashley Hutchings from the late 1970's mouldering away somewhere. It's has (or had) Shirley Collins on it singing The Bonny Labouring Boy in the National's production of Lark Rise - lots of Albion stuff - John Tams - Martin Carthy - etc. etc. Wonder if Tyger himself has a copy? Thought not.

And what about all the wonderful traditional stuff that people like Doc Rowe have amassed? Let's hope it is all accessible via a mouse click one day, but again I doubt it. But miracles happen - who would have thought that three programmes about an obsolete system for making colour films would be a hit on TV? (Yer know, the Friese Greene thing)

Cheers - Ed

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2006, 09:27:18 PM »

whilst we appreciate your interest in the fairport thing
the downloading of illegal material cannot be condoned
so its the hair shirt for you young fellow me lad
oh and the barbed wire grundies

seriously,this stuff is out there and hopefully will surface one way or the other
so why dont the fairport family get together find out what is available or what they have in the vaults and
do us all a favour while making a few bob for themselves

The Dude abides
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2006, 09:56:12 PM »

The actual cost in terms of hours spent & licencing fees far outstrips any potential 'few bob' unfortunately.

There are several people out there who have seriously looked into it & walked away...

Mark Donmall

Loc: Tunbridge Wells

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2021, 11:46:26 AM »

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but have done a search and this is the only thread I can find. The 1977 film 'in One End' about Southwold and Adnams ale featuring Fairport can be viewed on the BFI Player website for free at  https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-in-one-end-1977-online.

As has been mentioned in the posts from 2006, it features Simon, Peggy and Bruce but no Swarb, an unknown female player on fiddle instead. A full version of 'John Barleycorn' and an adaptation of 'All Things Bright and Beautiful' in praise of Adnams. Also tunes from Chris and John Leslie.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2021, 11:56:59 AM »

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but have done a search and this is the only thread I can find. The 1977 film 'in One End' about Southwold and Adnams ale featuring Fairport can be viewed on the BFI Player website for free at  https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-in-one-end-1977-online.

As has been mentioned in the posts from 2006, it features Simon, Peggy and Bruce but no Swarb, an unknown female player on fiddle instead. A full version of 'John Barleycorn' and an adaptation of 'All Things Bright and Beautiful' in praise of Adnams. Also tunes from Chris and John Leslie.

Not unknown...the link above explains that it is Ursula Smith (best known as Cellist with the Third Ear Band).  Thanks for the prompt though!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2021, 02:45:23 PM »

Corking idea, Greglin.

How about a mini marquee near the top of the field to show Fairport and related films in (time to get the 16mm cine projector and Betamax VCR out Peggy  Grin ) just in case the weather turns inclement - or maybe even if it is clement.

It would need a bit of organisation, but maybe it could be run by a local charity and have a donation box for satisfied punters.

There would be more than a few happy people reminiscing if it was possible. Failing the marquee, maybe a room in the pavilion.
This comment was before we had the screen on the stage. It could be done now!!  Cheesy  

Roll up Roll up - the Cropredy Odeon Huh Peanuts and popcorn and Peggy with a torch shouting " That's not allowed in the back row"  Huh

Not sure how it could be done, but I'm sure there is a lot of footage out there that people would like to see. Obviously there would be logisitical problems, but as a charitable exercise - send / lend your footage for viewing with an appropriate donation? Or maybe the guys have enough of a headache organising this year already................

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2021, 04:45:09 PM »

Thanks for the link Mark  - I noticed that Simon has a Dennis the Menace fan club badge on his guitar strap.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2021, 04:46:35 PM »

Is 15 years between posts in a thread a record?   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2021, 05:00:43 PM »

It's a really interesting film...both subject matter and musically

So, am I right - it's topped and tailed by the two Fairport tracks (which appear to be mimed to - but still re-recorded versions - 'produced by Dave Pegg'), and the other material between them is all by 'John & Chris Leslie and Nigel West'?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2021, 09:49:37 AM »

Who is the narrator? It's a very familiar voice...

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2021, 10:03:00 AM »

Who is the narrator? It's a very familiar voice...

I thought that, but I didn't get any further.  It doesn't say in the credits I don't think.

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2021, 10:48:28 AM »

Surely it's Tim Turner? If not, it should be!!  Wink

Definitely familiar, to be serious, but I can't quite place it...

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: