TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 04, 2021, 12:15:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show of Hands - On Tour and with a new Album 'Witness'  (Read 45161 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 09:36:16 AM »

Catch the right gig & it's already available!

Picked my copy up on the Feast of Fiddles tour, when Phil guested....!

Shame Phil didn't have any with him when I saw them.. Sad

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 12:51:22 PM »

Catch the right gig & it's already available!

Picked my copy up on the Feast of Fiddles tour, when Phil guested....!

shall get a copy on saturday when we see them Grin
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 01:04:43 PM »

The CD is already available on the SoH website.

I've had it over a week now and, apart from one track, it is superb - Possibly their best yet!

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 01:31:49 PM »

I've had it for a couple of weeks and for me it's the best studio offering since Lie of the Land.

Knightley's writing gets better, more pointed and biting with every album, but there's a sophistication behind the polemics here which marks a real departure, and the music has moved forward too, with production by Simon Emmerson and some interesting beats as a result.  It's evolution rather than revolution but it's good to see them taking risks when it would be all too easy to relax.  MP3's on the site, try Witness and Roots for starters.

I'm really looking forward to seeing them live again tomorrow night in Canterbury.

The studio stuff is always excellent but see them live and they are a revelation.  I defy anyone not to become a fan for life after a SoH gig.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 01:34:16 PM »

I defy anyone not to become a fan for life after a SoH gig.

I know someone who isn't!!

Not me.. I am..  Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2006, 06:13:50 PM »

The tracks on the website sound great..  so let me ask those of you who already have heard the album, are these tracks failry representative of the rest??  ..and how much of it is uptempo and how much is morose?   I cant do too much morose  Undecided

Thanks,
Issy  Tiara

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 07:06:21 PM »

The tracks on the website sound great..  so let me ask those of you who already have heard the album, are these tracks failry representative of the rest??  ..and how much of it is uptempo and how much is morose?   I cant do too much morose  Undecided

Thanks,
Issy  Tiara

The sample tracks are pretty representative of the rest of the CD - There is about a 50/50 split between the uptempo and the "morose" on witness.

Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 04:04:40 PM »

I'm going to see Show of Hands tomorrow at Henley.  First time seeing them in Concert (apart from croppers but i don't recall much of that, I wonder why Grin)

Should be good, hope to hear a few songs from Witness as I have just purchased the CD and it is great.

GOD BLESS THE BROKEN ROAD THAT LED ME STRAIGHT TO YOU
david stevenson
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »

I'm going to see Show of Hands tomorrow at Henley.  First time seeing them in Concert (apart from croppers but i don't recall much of that, I wonder why Grin)

Should be good, hope to hear a few songs from Witness as I have just purchased the CD and it is great.

Sian

Saw them for about the 200th time at Canterbury last weekend and it was tremendous - the live versions of the new songs from the CD come up fresh and different - Innocents Song, which is pretty chilling anyway, was even better, and Union Street works better without the piano.  I could (and probably would) go on and on, but suffice to say you will absolutely love it.  Miranda Sykes has toured with them for the last few years and her work on double bass and vocals adds an additional dimension in performance.

Enjoy!

david

- STILL MY CITY
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 06:41:52 PM »

Sian...Hope you enjoy "Show of Hands"!.I'm also at Henley Kenton theatre on Thursday.It will be my friend Alice's first "Show of Hands"concert,although I've seen them many times over the past years.I've not heard the new CD yet, but they are a wonderful live experience,and seem to get better every time! Have a great evening!.........
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2006, 08:12:04 PM »

I've always thought they had the potential to sound bigger, and it does them no harm at all, drums, piano, bass, women, drink, all fine by me  Smiley

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 04:37:14 PM »

Has anyone seen Sian and does she have a report on the Henley extravaganza? 

Peel
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 05:14:31 PM »

A wonderful evening had by all at "Show of Hands" Henley Kenton theatre.A large part of the set consisting of material from new album "Witness".Very rich and atmospheric,with some clever use of percussive echos on the mandocello in"The Dive".Lots of earlier material mixed in as well.Fine versions of"Tall Ships" "Cousin Jack" and a very beautiful "Crow on the cradle".Amazingly the first visit by SOH to the Kenton,a wonderful little theatre,with a lovely intimate atmosphere!...Great stuff!.............
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 05:32:04 PM »

here i am  Grin
I enjoyed SoH very much and will write a more in depth review tommorrow as I am of out again tonight to see That'll be the Day 60's 70's 80's show.

Bye

Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 10:07:37 PM »

Well, what a night it was.  the theatre was lovely and the sound was excellent.

My first SoH gig I must say was really good.  They did a lot of songs from Witness which was good for me as it's all I know,ROOTS was a highlight for me, what a powerful song, really enjoyed Cousin Jack as well.  Phil Beer has a great voice and so does Miranda Sykes who wowed the audience with a solo jazzy number, and of course Mr knightleys voice was brill.  The 3 harmonies were spot on and stirring.  the musicianship fabulous, and some songs were performed in a dramatic way using the lighting and echoes, the between song banter highly entertaining.

I have to say I am a SoH fan now and will try to get tickets to see them again soon.

x

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2006, 10:15:34 PM »

and now for something completely different,
had the privelage of seeing SofH at the warwick festival in 2004. superb.
they speak my language. i might just buy their latest album if their spot on mike hardings folk on 2 is anything to go by.
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2006, 04:45:40 PM »

Many thanks to Glenn and Sian for the review of Henley. 

And you're right, Vinnie.  Show of Hands push the buttons, somehow.

I believe a few of us Northern types will be gathering to see them shortly.  I let you know how we get on.

Peel
spinnersue
n3wb

Loc: Nr Portsmouth, Hampshire

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2006, 11:39:08 PM »

Hi, I am a fan of Show of Hands too and have seen them a few times now, though not recently.  My fave songs of theirs are Blue Cockade and Tall Ships.  I would like to see them live at the Eden Project sometime.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2006, 01:14:57 PM »

Have I blown it big time!
First tour I've missed in years! Tried to buy tickets for Brighton direct from the venue, but they had problems being redecorated or something, tried over the phone, no response, tried by e mail to discover I was too late. Cry   Cry
I'm really pleased they are building up the following they deserve, but I miss them coming to my small local venue where I could always get tickets in good time.
Anyone got Albert Hall tickets yet?
david stevenson
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 01:41:37 PM »

One of the many things I like and admire about Show of Hands is their policy of two tours a year, one big venues, the other small - Steve reckons it keeps the audience dynamics sharp and keeps them in close contact with their fan base.  Saw them last year in the village hall at Haddenham in Cambs with just over 100 in the audience, just brilliant.  They can hold any audience in any size venue - two sellouts at the Albert Hall amply demonstrate that.

No sign of tickets for the Albert Hall yet, but I'll post here as soon as I know.

David

- STILL MY CITY
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: