TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:59:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Humour Belong at RT gig?  (Read 14099 times)
zygon

Hail King Monkey, great sage, equal of heaven.

« on: February 12, 2006, 02:22:51 PM »

No, I'm not talking about his wit and humour between songs - he's a funny guy.  Nor am I talking about the dry, dark humour of the likes of Cold Kisses (excellent) and Jonny's far away. I'm talking about the likes of 'Hots for the smarts' and 'don't sit on my Jimmy Shands.'  Personally I don't like them, I only like the serious stuff.   
Am I alone in thinking this way?

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 02:30:43 PM »

Speaking as someone who, on the last tour, heckled for RT to play Smiffy's Glass Eye and Two Left Feet, I enjoy the humour  Smiley

RT has tought me all anyone needs to know about Mummies, Alexander Graham Bell and Kenny G and for those nuggets I'm very thankful.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:31:33 PM »

Am I alone in thinking this way?

Probably not.... but I will hold the Colours for the opposing camp.

As for only liking the serious stuff... well that's a different matter entirely isn't it. No right or wrong there.... but a bit of light stuff id welcomed by the Nuthouse camp - I particularly enjoyed the Britney Spears cover  Grin

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »

There is a fine deviding line between what many class as serious & not serious, tbh, a lot of RT's stuff is full of humour, but most of Irony & its that Irony in his lyrics & the way he plays which I love about his work

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 03:23:02 PM »

Bloody hell, if all RT played was the serious stuff, half his humanity would be stripped away.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 03:40:10 PM »

Bloody hell, if all RT played was the serious stuff, half his humanity would be stripped away.

I think that's what I meant to say.....here, hold these colours a while I need to go for a Jimmy (Riddle though  Cheesy)

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 03:49:22 PM »

I can remember a time in the past when RT was far too serious, but he has lightened up a lot recently, which I prefer. I remember a few years ago at Cropredy, it was wet and cold, and we had just sufferd the ISB. RT hit the mood correctly, and lifted everybodys spirits. And yes it did include my Daddy is a Mummy, and his Britney Spears cover.

Paul

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 07:33:54 PM »

Most succinctly put - and spot on, Andy.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
ollythedolly
Grownup
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

One more time with feeling

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 07:48:44 PM »

RT has tought me all anyone needs to know about Mummies, Alexander Graham Bell and Kenny G and for those nuggets I'm very thankful.

and what (.)(.) are for........ Tongue
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 09:47:59 AM »

I enjoy humour and irony; Richard is the sort of person who really draws me into his songs and makes me believe them.  If a gig was only full of serious depressing songs then the chances are that I would come away feeling really miserable.  I'd also draw the conclusion that Richard was a miserable sod too!  And we all know that this is definitely not the case Smiley
anne

Loc: hadrians wall cumbria

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 09:21:20 PM »

Was at the Perth Gig and everyone enjoyed singing along to the "fun" songs, also my daughter did not like RT untill she heard "Hots for the Smarts" - now she has listened to the more serious stuff and thinks hes great!!! As a smart girl then maybe this song appeals to a certain type of person.......Anne
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 09:57:22 PM »

I think most of his stuff is pretty funny....or at least.....somewhat..... if relative to a grand comedy of sorts.  Even "End of the Rainbow" is funny......in a gloomy sort of way. 

Then again. I have always wished they'd make WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? into a weekly sitcom!
peterryb

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 10:47:59 PM »

I enjoy humour and irony; Richard is the sort of person who really draws me into his songs and makes me believe them.  If a gig was only full of serious depressing songs then the chances are that I would come away feeling really miserable.  I'd also draw the conclusion that Richard was a miserable sod too!  And we all know that this is definitely not the case Smiley
To really show humour is to somehow know tragedy and sadness, and to go beyond those parts that are safe to go beyond,(not all ) and to be able to laugh at them.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 06:36:39 AM »

Yes, humour does belong at RT gigs. He is a well rounded individual, singing of comedy and tragedy. The recorded versions of Madonna's Wedding and Dear Janet Jackson had me laughing out loud while driving, and there is lots of more subtle humour.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
suzip
n3wb

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 07:41:24 AM »

I  am a new member although I ve been a Fairport Fan since I went to Cropredy in 1977 as a 18 yr old (accompanied by my 8 year older ,wiser husband who was lucky to attend most of the music festivals 1967-1975 ) he initiated my interest in Fairport, Grateful Dead and other bands too numerous to mention.

All that aside I  felt I had to join in this discussion about RT's concert humour.
When he played Adelaide last year he did a cover of a Kylie Minougue song I am still not sure if it was 'tongue in cheek'.
 I am seeing him on 6/3/06 in Adelaide and if anyone is interested I can report on his humour or lack thereof
Susann

Suzip
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 08:01:28 AM »

Yes that Song is on the 100 years album. Was humerous but was to prove a point he had also.....

Anyone interested go listen to it & you can see him intertwining humour with a message  Cool

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 11:47:44 AM »

Hi Susann, welcome to the board. Yes, there are many here who'd welcome a report after 6th March as to how the ol' boy is bowling along.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 03:38:21 AM »

Absolutely yes

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
suzip
n3wb

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 10:50:18 AM »

Hi I am  a new member but felt I had to put my 'pennyworth in'

I must admit we saw RT in Adelaide 2004 ( and are seeing him again on 6 march 2006) and he made a few noxious comments re 1967 Muswell Hill, Nth London about Fairport members thinking it was hilarious to partake of illicit substances whilst playing British Folk music my husband found it funny I still am working on it...
One thing I did get was his cover of a Kylie Minogue song. I think you had to be there to understand some of his one liners unfortunately I was born in the 1960s.
suzip

Suzip
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: