TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:23:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour reviews and photos  (Read 119333 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2006, 12:40:02 PM »

And a couple to finish of with - smaller to save space!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2006, 01:05:54 PM »

Lovely photos Chris.  Chris Leslie one is really nice and Peggy ! Grin

Not been for a while
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2006, 10:19:11 AM »

Lovely photos Chris.  Chris Leslie one is really nice and Peggy ! Grin
Hear, hear!
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2006, 10:28:13 AM »

It was a superb night in Oxford last night and a stonking end to what has been a superb tour. Grin  Everybody was on superb form - including poor PJ who went down with the lurgy three days ago but still managed to deliver a great set.  Thank you to everybody on the tour for their hard work, efforts and for entertaining me every time I saw the show.  I will never tire of "Sir Patrick Spens" or "Rocky Road". Grin

It was also great to see so many Talkawhile members there and in Far From The Madding Crowd before the show too.  Bentley Ben says "hello" to you all as well.  He's lucky today: he's fast-asleep at home now whilst I am struggling to stay awake at work.

Now what am I going to do until the Acoustic tour starts? Huh
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2006, 12:47:07 PM »

Listen to "Off The Desk"?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2006, 01:32:11 PM »

It has to be said that I did not know what to expect last night, as there have been mixed reviews, but in the end it was one of the best sets I have ever seen Fairport do.

WKWTTG was particularly wonderful, even though it did leave me in tears. It was great to hear the songs from Liege and Leif, and even quite nice to have Matty back when attacked with the vigour with which it was last night.

A fitting last night to the tour, I would have thought, in just about the right size theatre that was packed out.

Nice to see so many Talkawhilers. Shame the traffic delayed Adrian and Mic and prevented them from getting to the pub.

Sandra
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 04:13:12 PM by sandy » Logged

Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2006, 03:25:59 PM »

Nothing really that I can add to what's been said already about last night, other than to agree that it was fantastic Grin
It was great to see the Talkawhile crew Smiley and a great shame that roadworks/solid traffic stopped Adrian and I fron getting to the pub beforehand.   (you've never seen anyone elbow their way through to the bar in the interval, like I did last night... girl with a mission! Wink)

mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2006, 03:58:39 PM »

Just to say I thought last night was fantastic, highlights for me were Red and Gold and Matty.  The sound in the Playhouse I thought was very good indeed.  I was sat two rows behind Frank Skinner!  He seemed to be enjoying it all.

Lovely to meet Mix ,Paul , Adrian,Martin Driver (who I got mixed up with someone else Embarrassed)  and lovely to see Sandy, Nick, Fi and Tony, again.

Thanks to Suzanne and her Mum who let me tag  along with them (Talkawhilers are such nice people.)

Not been for a while
Suzanne

« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2006, 04:18:12 PM »

One thing I didn't get a picture of last night were the stage crew (who have also been brilliant) waving flags at regular intervals.  Oh and Frances' wonderful pink hair for the night which certainly attracted people to the merchandise.

Simon missed the final verse of "Crazy Man Michael".  He nearly solved it by starting "Rocky Road" with the final verse of "Crazy Man Michael".  "Tam Lin" nearly blew my eardrums out (that's what sitting next to a speaker does) and Gerry walloped that cymbal like mad.

Sian: it was a pleasure to have you along for the evening; I hope the family aren't too dysfunctional for you.  It makes a gig so much nicer when so many friends meet up and there was a great group last night which was fabulous. 

Meanwhile: I shall resort to exhausting my copy of "Of The Desk" and start sorting out pictures from the tour.  And start counting down the days to Nettlebed on 15 May (I can't wait *that* long Shocked ) and an acoustic evening.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2006, 10:17:47 PM »

Meanwhile: I shall resort to exhausting my copy of "Of The Desk" and start sorting out pictures from the tour.  And start counting down the days to Nettlebed on 15 May (I can't wait *that* long Shocked ) and an acoustic evening.

You can always take a couple of days off & head for Keswick on Monday March 20.....

And no pix of Tommy Cooper yet?....mine are still on the camera!:-)

Not much to add to the reviews of last night that hasn't already been said - but to congratulate the lads (both musos & crew) for what I can only describe as the best Wintour for at least 5 years. They got the mix of the music spot on, I reckon. And off the desk broke records, I would think....

Suzanne

« Reply #210 on: March 08, 2006, 05:54:37 PM »

There are 11 of my pictures now in my Talkawhile gallery.  Please note (and admire) Bentley Ben's rather spectacular new head gear. Grin  Many thanks to Mix for the instructions and to my mum for actually assembling it (I just provided the materials and the bear).

For the record: it is Bentley Ben's very own Talkawhile fez and has nothing to do with Tommy Cooper (in spite of what a certain red-shoed fiddler thought). Tongue
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #211 on: March 09, 2006, 09:35:41 AM »

Thank you Suzanne  Kiss
The photos are brilliant.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #212 on: March 09, 2006, 01:53:18 PM »

I especially like the line-up shot....

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2006, 05:48:44 PM »

Just finished sorting mine.....

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2006, 05:55:19 PM »

And l final three - two boardsters in the final one - I think they enjoyed it!

issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2006, 06:15:37 PM »

Great picture of Tony and Martin  Grin

Issy Tiara

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
mikemush

Loc: Harlow,Essex :-(

"In his forties,and still unusual" H.Rawlinson

« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2006, 06:37:23 PM »

Great picture of Tony and Martin  Grin

Issy Tiara

And no sign of a shotgun!

"Aha! As I anticipated,things have gone wildly beyond my control"  Professor Nebulous
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #217 on: March 18, 2006, 06:41:10 PM »

[    And no sign of a shotgun!
Shotguns haven't been invented yet - I use a matchlock musket  Wink

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2006, 09:21:53 AM »

Terrific pics Chris. Especially the line-up shot. And the solo pic of Chris. And of Peggy. Oh and all of them really Roll Eyes  Thanks!

Gower Flower

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2006, 06:13:05 PM »

Sorry to be late with this review of the Warrington gig 2nd March, but I flew to the States 10:00am next day and I'm only just back. Oh, the jet lag...

Enjoyed PJ - looking forward to his slot at Cropredy.

Now to the lads - have to admit to being a bit concerned about the lack of interaction between band members. This was my hubby Mike's 3rd FC gig and he noticed it immediately Sad Didn't help that the 1st time he saw them they were exceptional (at the 100 Club in London 2004 which is a top venue with space to dance & jig to your hearts content - and we did!) but there was very little of the usual banter. Peggy looked almost miserable at times (OK I know he's had problems recently, but according to the programme his life's on the up) and Simon seemed, well, just a bit short-tempered Angry That said, Chris and Ric were superb and totally saved the day for me (love the new song, Chris). The two appear so comfortable playing together and their two-fiddle duets are a joy. Plus of course GC who is a brilliant drummer and should be on a little hydraulic revolving stage, with flashing lights, just like Carl Palmer... er, on second thoughts maybe that's not his style!

Can't remember the full set list (I believe it's been posted elsewhere anyway) but Crazy Man Michael stood out for me, as well as Red & Gold & WKWTTG, I'm Already There (goosebumps!), Chris's new song, Tam Lin (bl00dy brilliant) and Anything Ric Does. Good to see the old intro to Matty is back - brought a nice smile to Peggy's face  Cheesy

Sorry if any of this sounds a bit negative. I really enjoyed the gig and can't wait for Croppers (only 142 days!!). Oh, and the beer was cheap at Parr Hall. And the new album is great. And Chris needs a haircut...

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: