TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 09:19:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So how did YOU get into Fairport?  (Read 139873 times)
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2005, 12:40:46 PM »

Got dragged along to Cropredy some time around mid / late 80's by some friends, was blown away by what I heard and, well, this year will be my 11th and I can't wait.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2005, 12:44:33 PM »

Fairport Convention are just completely addictive Grin
Maybe they should carry a health warning?
"Warning...Fairport Convention can seriously Brighten up your life!!"

Mic Wink

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
leafbyniggle

Loc: Leicester/Durham

Rugger is the tops, a game for men they say

« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2005, 03:11:27 PM »

Lovely post Suzanne! At the first gig I went to that wasn't Cropredy both Ric and Chris asked me loads about my violin playing (which isn't very good!) and were so nice to me that that was the main reason I decided to go to the next tour! And the rest is history...

*looks at bank balance* Yep, I know what you mean!

"Middle shmiddle. If you're not squashed up the front with a load of drunken men who are a foot taller than you it's not Cropredy."
London Refugee
n3wb

Loc: Pickering, North Yorks

« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2005, 08:03:01 PM »

This is my first official (non-test) posting and I hope it’s not too late for this topic.

I first heard Fairport Convention ‘live’ on the radio probably in late ’67 on one of the David Symonds/John Peel shows, thinking is really my kind of music (Beatles/Byrds/Lovin Spoonful/Jefferson Airplane) – and I thought Ribbon Bow was quirky and unusual.   Then the line-up was mentioned…on drums, Martin Lamble…..goodness, I was at school with him (year above) and he was always distinctive in his Parka riding a Lambretta.

Forward a couple of months and I got a Saturday job in Golders Green, and I’m taken by meeting Helen (C) and she happens to know Fairport Convention.     She asks me to go along to one of their concerts but I reluctantly decline (probably cos my Mum wouldn’t let me).

Well, I bought the first single and album and Helen became a good friend; and she persevered and eventually around mid-68 I went along to the Country Club, Haverstock Hill with a schoolmate, Roy Deane, to see them – my first live gig!   It was the ‘Holidays’ line-up and there couldn’t have been more than about 50 in the audience –initially seated uncomfortably on the floor in the dark, the concert was beyond my wildest expectations.   LIVE music - I was mesmerized and HOOKED!   

Then Helen C starting ‘going out’ with Martin and I got to know him more than I had at school.    I saw Fairport a half-dozen times in the next year and each time was a thrill and a delight.    Looking back, it’s remarkable to realize……just how unique Fairport was and……considering the quality of the music, to realise just how young they were – Richard was prodigious, Sandy was, and remains, the finest British singer and Martin was a very fine drummer – versatile and sensitive – and a lovely young man.   After the crash, I went to University and Sandy left and things were never the same again.   

In 35+ years of watching and photographing concerts NOTHING compares to that very first concert - halcyon days.

Anyone for a North London/FC get together?

Neil

PS   Judy, would you kindly e-mail me, I have a favour to ask?
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2005, 09:35:19 PM »

Neil...

Hi there... never to late to add your twopen'orth  Wink

There is a personal message option which relays messages between folks on the TalkAwhile Board which avoids the need to communicate directly via e-mail and disclosing addresses - obviously, this retains privacy while giving the opportunity to pass more personal messages... I am sure that you will understand the sense in this.

Anyway.. good to 'meet' you, and watch out for Sir Robert and his tray of limp crudites and schooners of sherry. ! You'll see what I mean soon enough, I am sure  Grin

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Bryan

Loc: Caterham, Surrey

« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2005, 01:43:49 PM »

Fairport Convention are just completely addictive Grin
Maybe they should carry a health warning?
"Warning...Fairport Convention can seriously Brighten up your life!!"

Mic Wink

I think they should Mic, I was just counting up over 50 vinyl and  50 cd albums that can be directly attributed to my
hearing Unhalfbricking thats an awful lot of Brightening, how dull life would have been without 'em.

Bryan

Bryan
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2005, 01:49:31 PM »

Absolutely Bryan.........actually, maybe Fairport CDs should be available on free prescription from the GP.     
Thank goodness they are still going strong......long may they reign (and if RT is around long may they rain....sorry I'll get me coat Wink )

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2005, 02:33:56 AM »

After being enthralled with "Fog on the Tyne (pre Gazza - 1989) - my first foray into Folk Rock, I took "What we did in our Holidays" out of Central Library, St Helens.  This was followed a week or two later by Red and Gold.

"Bloody hell - sounds nothing like the other one!"

By then hooked............

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2005, 11:28:50 PM »

Anyone for a North London/FC get together?

I think in this context it is traditional for one to say "Respect"... Not many as old as me on this site I don't think and I guess few who hung out at Middle Earth and UFO (when it was in Tottenham Court Road)... However lovely and endearing the latter day Fairport are I too adored those early days... I still have not heard any outtakes of Richard Thiompson stretching out on Paul Butterfield's "East West".... "Morning Glory"... sigh... I'd give a lot to see one of those gigs again... Magnificent band... FC were one of the absolutely seminal Underground bands... and no, Munchkins, I do not mean Mornington Crescent...

Get in touch... I'd love to trade memories of 1968... although (heavens forfend!) it looks like you beat me to FC... In  fact I didn't see them until Sandy had just joined them in mid 1968... New Fan, huh?

So we beat on. boats against the current...
jamesc

Loc: staffordshire

« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2006, 10:23:34 PM »

My mates dad used to knock around with Sandy Denny in the years she used to play the folk clubs , and as, we as kids ,were there we followed her to Fairport and the rest is history so to speak jamesc
Keith E Rice

Loc: Harrogate

"It's alright...it's only witchcraft!"

« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2006, 11:05:11 PM »

Hey, Jack, I think I might be even older.

Like so many of the stories in this thread, it was an Island sampler that started it - can't remember which. The one that had 'Meet On The Ledge' on it...?

I was big into the West Coast sound at the time - Mamas & Papas, Jefferson Airplane - and it really struck me how Sandy sounded at times like Grace Slick at her more restrained - eg: 'Triad' off 'CROWN OF CREATION'. So bought the first two albums and was so absolutely wiped out by the breadth of styles they managed to integrate into their own. I was hooked!

Didn't think 'UNHALFBRICKING' was quite as cohesive and I missed Iain a lot. The plunge into trad; arr with 'L&L' really shook me - loved trad folk rocked up but devastated by the loss of such a broad stylistic repertoire. Then 'FULL HOUSE' and 'ANGEL DELIGHT' left me desperate for a singer who could really *sing* like Iain and Sandy could. Didn't take at all to Swarb's idiosyncratic style at all - though I've revisited it since and come to appreciate just how inventive and unusual his singing is. (No great range and the breathing's all wrong but such emotion at times!)

Of course, Sandy's return drew me back and I thought 'LIVE' was just tremendous - Jerry proved such a worthy successor to Richard he took my breath away - and still does! What I've come to really appreciate down the years is the way Jerry throws in lots of little 'Richardisms' - effortlessly! - yet is totally his own man. A real master of the instrument. However, 'MOON' seemed such a wasted opportunity - and the prospect of the Vertigo albums never appealed to me in the slightest.

I next caught up with FC at the end of the 80s, having missed most of the gradual re-emergence of the band. 'IN REAL TIME' was my first purchase. I was iffy about the retreads but loved 'Hiring Fair' and 'Close To The Wind'. From there I discovered 'GLADYS' - an album that, for me, remains *the* closest the revived band have got to the sheer genius of their earlier incarnations.

The love of 'GLADYS' - and especially the transformation in Simon's singing from nasal joke to master of a certain kind of ballad - led me to investigate and reappraise much of what I'd been missing - hence the re-evaluation of Swarb's singing (especially poignant given the last few years!) - regular purchases of the new albums (terribly uneven but usually a couple of corkers) and journeys to several Cropredys.

It's an awful long way from 'If I Had A Ribbon Bow' and they've probably disappointed as much as they've astonished - but the high points are so high I don't regret my fanship of this band for one second.

And I will be there hollering my lungs out in mid-August 2007!

INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED!
'KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU: an Integrated SocioPsychology Guide to Personal Fulfilment & Better Relationships'  ISBN 1-4120-8291-9 (Trafford Publishing, 2006)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2006, 11:37:23 PM »

It's an awful long way from 'If I Had A Ribbon Bow' and they've probably disappointed as much as they've astonished - but the high points are so high I don't regret my fanship of this band for one second.

And I will be there hollering my lungs out in mid-August 2007!

You've said it perfectly Keith...thanks for that... Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2006, 12:02:58 PM »

Seeing as this thread has been resurrected I had a quick look through...

There are SO MANY posts by people who never post any more  Sad

I wonder what's happened to them all... Huh

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2006, 12:21:21 PM »

I was thinking the same the other day Jen- maybe we should have a where are they now thread Roll Eyes
some of them used to post quite often then suddenly stopped.
Zith for instance and Vickie ah and Steve JW, Paul JM Uk etc etc

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2006, 12:27:52 PM »

They've been sacked.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2006, 12:58:52 PM »

Good idea Tasha.. and there was Otts too of course.. what happened to him?

Sacked.. Oh dear... Shocked

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2006, 01:24:59 PM »

Otts started acting the goat....

mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2006, 01:40:39 PM »

You're kidding  Shocked

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2006, 01:44:08 PM »

So he was baaaad then was he Huh

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2006, 03:00:25 PM »

After being enthralled with "Fog on the Tyne (pre Gazza - 1989) - my first foray into Folk Rock, I took "What we did in our Holidays" out of Central Library, St Helens. 

That'll be the same copy that I got out, at around the same time! My dad had the Plainsong LP (Iain Matthews, Andy Roberts and others) which I really liked and so this led me to Fairport. Got WWDOOH, Unhalfbricking and Leige and Lief out of the local library and was blown away, especially Nottamun Town, which seemed so eerie and otherworldly. Really powerful.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: