TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:10:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review for Bert Jansch and Davey Graham in Oxford?  (Read 15824 times)
ulrika

« on: December 08, 2005, 09:51:29 AM »

Hello All, 

Haven't had a chance to be on this board at all over the past few months (work, ho hum!), but heard of a gig in Oxford the other night with Bert Jansch and Davey Graham; was anyone there who'd be happy to write a review?  I also understand that Graham Coxon opened for them... 

Hope everyone's well! 
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 10:46:36 AM »

I went.

It was a very 'intimate' gig. No PA, no lighting apart for a couple of standard lamps (like your gran would have in her front room).

Bert Jansch played a couple of excellent slots, one in each half of the concert. Mainly folk, but with some great blues numbers in there as well. He apologised for being unused, now, to playing without amplification, and at times his speaking voice was a little low for where we were sitting. Singing voice was great, however.

Davy Graham also did two slots. Most of the first consisted of some very difficult and well played classical numbers on a Spanish guitar. The second lot were more folky/bluesy. He encouraged Bert to stay on stage for the last three numbers, which had a very much 'jamming' quality. It was like watching two very good musicians playing in your living room.

Graham Coxton played at the beginning of the second set, but as we were a few minutes late (breathless from interval drinks at the pub) we missed the start. What we did hear was excellent though.

I also went to see Davy Graham with Martin Carthy last night, but I will let others do a full review of that. I will say, however, that Martin was excellent.

Davy Graham's playing ion both nights was erratic to say the least. Sometimes it is brilliant, sometimes painful, but I suppose for what he has been through its amazing he is playing at all. As a friend said, he is the Sid Barrett of the folk world.

Sandra

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:17:54 PM by sandy » Logged

Curt

Loc: Forest Hill, SE London, England

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »

I really enjoyed the Davy Graham, Duck Baker and Martin Carthy gig - I hope these gigs can revitalise Mr Graham because flashes of his reputed brillance were on show with some more erratic playing (I would add that Peter Green was like this when he came back with the early days of the Splinter Group).  Duck Baker was highly humourous and played celtic, some great Americana as well as an outstanding version of Davy's 40 ton parachute.  Mr Carthy, well he played the 7 Yellow Gypsies and the Princess Royal (which to me is all I need to hear) and was outstanding.

Not bad for a tenner; its a shame work intervened to make me waste my ticket for the night before. 

I did feel that the Holywell Music Room had a Salem Church like quality - It certainly revived memories of my Presbyterian youth  Smiley.

I also saw some of you lot but being shy I couldn't bring myself to say hello - so hello retrospectively
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 10:03:16 AM »

Hello retrospectively Curt!

Holywell Music Room gigs are always extraordinary. It's the oldest purpose-built music room in existence, it doesn't tolerate amplification (it doesn't need it!) and it frequently plays host to pin-drop moments of scerene music. No crowd-surfing here.

The downside is that it has no bar. Not a problem in itself as the Turf Tavern is a few seconds away but the Turf is a good pub and its easy to let time slip away - witness the inevitable stream of people who shuffle in slightly embarrased after the first song of the second half.

It was great to see Martin Carthy as always. Duck Baker was a good find - though it's nagging me how I've managed to miss him before now. Davy Graham was, as you say, erratically great. He was not fully there on the night and there was a sense that he was playing because of his past and not his present. He did at least show how good he had once been and I hope he is able to come back fully to the folk scene.

More things coming up at the Holywell in the next few weeks: Magpie Lane, Martin Simpson, Oxford Waits... See you there?

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 12:25:49 PM »

I did feel that the Holywell Music Room had a Salem Church like quality - It certainly revived memories of my Presbyterian youth  Smiley.

I can see what you mean, it reminds me of a methodist chapel in fact!, and, funnily enough, a lady came up to us last night (Sandy and I on raffle ticket touting duty for the O.F.F at Coope, Boyes & Simpson - & Simpson & Fraser & Freya - ) to ask us to settle an argument she was having with her parents, as they were convinced it must have been a chapel once. But no, it's the "oldest purpose built concert hall in Europe".

Cheers

Fi
Jim Jeffries
n3wb

Loc: Fareham, Hampshire

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 10:41:16 PM »

Wow!!!!

That must have been a wonderful experience!  I adore Bert Jansch's early albums, but haven't heard much of Davey Graham's music, other than a few pieces here and there..

Does Bert or John Renbourn ever visit this forum?

I went.

It was a very 'intimate' gig. No PA, no lighting apart for a couple of standard lamps (like your gran would have in her front room).

Bert Jansch played a couple of excellent slots, one in each half of the concert. Mainly folk, but with some great blues numbers in there as well. He apologised for being unused, now, to playing without amplification, and at times his speaking voice was a little low for where we were sitting. Singing voice was great, however.

Davy Graham also did two slots. Most of the first consisted of some very difficult and well played classical numbers on a Spanish guitar. The second lot were more folky/bluesy. He encouraged Bert to stay on stage for the last three numbers, which had a very much 'jamming' quality. It was like watching two very good musicians playing in your living room.

Davy Graham's playing ion both nights was erratic to say the least. Sometimes it is brilliant, sometimes painful, but I suppose for what he has been through its amazing he is playing at all. As a friend said, he is the Sid Barrett of the folk world.

Sandra

...a troubled wind has chilled my heart..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: