TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:24:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't say I didn't warn you!  (Read 38944 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« on: July 28, 2008, 04:28:36 PM »

With new members joining all of the time, I thought it would be a good idea to explain some of TAWs 'unwritten rules'. Some more serious than others.
This will be added to when people remind me.

Member Profiles
These contain a Custom Title that can only be changed by admins. We try to find something appropriate. If you ask for one it's unlikely that you will get one. If you're asking for one you will.
We will also remove broken links to avatars, invalid locations and links to pages with paid advertising (ie PPC). We also do not allow animated avatars, or graphics or 'hot linked' content in signatures.
And
Your displayed name must include your real first name, or the name people down the pub know you by (you know what I mean). You can still use your Internet 'handle', but then add the real name, maybe in brackets.
It must also all be pronouncable (a-z,0-9,(), space). We do allow exceptions to this, if given good reason.
The same sort of thing will apply to avatars. They must be a photo of yourself, or not have one.

Announce abuse
I know that the Announce topic says 'blatant advertising by boardmembers' , but key word there is 'boardmembers'.
Meaning that you join in, not just rush in and do a spot of flyposting. People who join the board with the apparent intention of just promoting themselves will be treated with suspicion. Repeat, or really blatant offenders will be banned.

Inserting Images
Images (and other files) must only be inserted to posts using attachments. (Which is in 'Additional Options')
This prevents huge photos, broken links and other nasties being hot linked. Unfortunately the tag that allows images to be inserted in the text can not be removed, because it's used for other board functions.
And don't just link to a page full of photos. Select the best and post them here.
Which brings me to Hotlinking. That is inserting images from external sources into your post. It's not allowed.

And I'm not coming back!! {slam}
You can't delete your membership and you will not be allowed to make a dramatic exit. If you decide that you don't want to participate in the board any more, just stop logging on and you will soon slip out of sight.

Horrible plastic shoes
You know the ones. Any posts mentioning these will probably be edited by the moderators, with the intention of ridiculing them and their wearers.
There are other unexpected words that are banned, mostly for long forgotten reasons.

Links
With the link there must be some explanation of what you are being directed to and why you would want to go there.
For example it's not enough to post in Announce "Have a look at my web site here". The post should explain who you are and why it's relevant.
Also the link must not be an affiliate, go to a PPC page, generate popups, or anything similar.
And please don't use anonymous redirecting services. People like to know what they are clicking on.

Oh $#@! what have I said!
After posting you have 30 minutes to edit what you have written. After that it's there forever. This is done to prevent people changing the meaning of a post, when it has been replied to.
Only under really exceptional circumstances will it be changed, if you ask a moderator and doing this only draws attention. So it's best to leave it and let it be forgotten.

Privacy statement
Evidently it's a good idea to have one.
The only information that members of this board provide that is not on public display is your email address. This will never be passed on to any third parties, or used for any purpose other than the maintenance of the board. (You must have a valid email address or you may not be able to log in.)
Please read this about personal messages.
And in case you wondered, this board is exempt from the Data Protection Act, for several reasons.

It's for Charity
Promoting an event on TAW they will occasionally be allowed. However:
You must ask me first and accept possible refusal without taking it personally.
It must be something that you are doing personally, not friends, family, etc.
I really like charities that support people directly.
You must be a 'Folkcorp Guru'.
Donations must use a recognised charity web site.
The topic can only be posted in 'Announce' three days before the event and will be locked three days after.

j002
Unlike other Forums, we are not in the least bit bothered by incorrect grammar and spelling.  Such things are overlooked and should not commented on, usually.  It's what you say, not how you write it, that counts.
However it is courteous to use the spell checker provided. Also please DON'T SHOUT, use font sizes over 20pt, l33t or text message style abbreviations.

Off topic posts
These always go in the 'Corporation Arms'. However that is still part of a music based bulletin board and the discussions in the Arms should be in line with what you would expect at a friendly bar. So no campaigning and nothing specifically about current affairs, religion or politics.
Generally any topic that looks like it's going to turn into a fight will be locked.
(Some more specific topics are discussed in the Arms 'child' topics.)

Alias
Members will only be allowed more than one account (an alias) if there is a good reason and they ask an admin first. Normally this will be because they are an artist who would like to use their own name for official posts and an alias for general chatter.
The admins have several accounts in order to be able to see the board as different member groups.

Long term weather forecasts  (over 5 days) are banned.
If there is time DREDD will drop by and sort out offenders, otherwise posts will just get deleted.
Why?
Because these forecasts are total wild speculation. At festivals the next days forecast often turns out to be totally wrong, let alone next weeks.
This board is read by over 1500 people a day and pages of gloom laden weather serve no purpose, apart from possibly putting people off booking.

Free
If you have tickets, CDs or anything else that you want to give away, it must be done on a first come basis. No draws, raffles or similar.

Bootlegs, Torrents, etc.
The public trading of bootlegs is not allowed on this board, without the specific permission of the artist involved.
It is difficult to know where exactly the draw the line, because strictly almost everything on Youtube breaks a copyright law. So please don't be too blatant.

Lastly don't test the limits
The moderators really hate having to deal with people who deliberately see what they can get away with, for their own amusement. It's called trolling and wastes our time.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 07:05:47 PM »

Another reminder
The rules (above) say:

Links
With the link there must be some explanation of what you are being directed to and why you would want to go there.
For example it's not enough to post in Announce "Have a look at my web site here". The post should explain who you are and why it's relevant.

This applies particularly to the Arms, where large numbers of posts seem to ignore this and it makes the replies equally meaningless.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: