TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:39:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Requested - Songs and Tunes for the Autumn Tour.  (Read 60081 times)
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2005, 02:21:35 AM »

Lord Marborrough
Bonny Black Hare
Doctor of physics
Polly
Spanish Main
Adieu adieu
Flowers of the forrest
yee mariners all
battle of the somme
sailors alphabet

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2005, 02:39:42 AM »

Lord Marborrough
Bonny Black Hare
Doctor of physics
Polly
Spanish Main
Adieu adieu
Flowers of the forrest
yee mariners all
battle of the somme
sailors alphabet

Crackin choices, yeah I'd probably add one or two to that, but there's not a weak one amongst that list. There are a few trad songs I'd love Fairport to do as well.

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2005, 11:36:40 AM »

Roll on Thursday and the arrival of Broadband, so I can ask Himself if I can get to the Grays gig...

Seems odd Anna, why dioes the latter rely on the former?

Wink Extra negotiating power when I show him the excellent post about the gig from (sorry can't remember name) the guy who set it up.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2005, 11:50:10 AM »

Songs like Romarys sister, Summer before the War, Ginnie etc, we really can do without, they are fairports version of Margarita time as far as I'm concerned. They've been done to death over the last lord knows how many years & they are not Fairport, let alone they are not Folk, they are just MOR dirges.

Hmmm, a little harsh but also I think a little inaccurate. I can't recall ever hearing Summer Before the War or Ginnie ever being played live, let alone "done to death". Rosemary's Sister is a fine song IMHO, streets ahead of the other two you mentioned, but one that Simon tends to hold for Cropredy.

BUT, all three songs are Fairport, part of the bands output, AND without wishing to reopen a debate which I know has occured here in the past are Fairport really a folk band anyway?

Jackdaw
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2005, 11:57:10 AM »

Songs like Romarys sister, Summer before the War, Ginnie etc, we really can do without, they are fairports version of Margarita time as far as I'm concerned. They've been done to death over the last lord knows how many years & they are not Fairport, let alone they are not Folk, they are just MOR dirges.

Hmmm, a little harsh but also I think a little inaccurate. I can't recall ever hearing Summer Before the War or Ginnie ever being played live, let alone "done to death". Rosemary's Sister is a fine song IMHO, streets ahead of the other two you mentioned, but one that Simon tends to hold for Cropredy.

BUT, all three songs are Fairport, part of the bands output, AND without wishing to reopen a debate which I know has occured here in the past are Fairport really a folk band anyway?

Jackdaw
Fairport Convention = a bunch of talented guys who play a wide range of musical styles.  No labels required.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2005, 12:40:49 PM »

Rosemary's Sister is a fine song IMHO, streets ahead of the other two you mentioned, but one that Simon tends to hold for Cropredy.

Wasn't it added to the Wintour just gone?....

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2005, 12:43:05 PM »

Rosemary's Sister is a fine song IMHO, streets ahead of the other two you mentioned, but one that Simon tends to hold for Cropredy.

Wasn't it added to the Wintour just gone?....

Yes, it was certainly in the set for the Anvil and the Brook.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2005, 12:56:17 PM »

One tour does not equate done to death in my book!

I stand by the fact that it has not been a key song in the FC sets in the way that, say, Hiring Fair has been.

Jackdaw
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2005, 01:06:23 PM »

I didn't agree with that statement! I quite like "Rosemary's Sister",

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2005, 01:23:03 PM »

I stand by the fact that it has not been a key song in the FC sets in the way that, say, Hiring Fair has been.

Not in the way that the Hiring Fair has, but very few songs have had that sort of longevity in the set. It probably has featured more than you would imagine though - it was a regular inclusion (i.e. every night) for a couple of years in the late 80s, and it was also a staple of the 2003 set, plus as has been mentioned, it's in the repertoire at the moment.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2005, 01:26:06 PM »

Okay, okay,I stand corrected. I would be happy if it was played every night cos I think it is a great song.

Jackdaw
SteveK
No load, always skip

Loc: London

It's a long way up from down here

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2005, 07:57:13 PM »

It's taken me a long time to choose a few, but here we go....

If I had to choose just one song, it would have to be Rosemary's sister - No contest.

A few others in no particular order
 - Summer Before the War
 - My Love is in America
 - The Deserter
 - John Gaudie (Ric and Chris have to go head to head with fiddles at least once in the set!)

A couple that were introduced to me by the excellent "Acoustically Down Under" album, and that deserve to be bought back to the fore:
 - Lalla Rookh
 - There Once Was Love

I thought hard whether to include Matty. My view is yes, it should be in the set, but maybe with a different lead-in to that which has been used recently (on which I feel Ric overdoes the effects). Let Ric save his energy for an epic finale by reinstating the Rutland Reel as the Matty follow on.

SteveK
Kris

Mandolin owner...

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2005, 08:34:57 PM »

Western Wind.  One of my absolute favourite live songs.
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2005, 08:37:09 PM »

Oh yesGrin

Not bad on CD either   Wink  Grin  Grin  Grin

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Kris

Mandolin owner...

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2005, 08:39:30 PM »

Oh yesGrin

Not bad on CD either   Wink  Grin  Grin  Grin

I play it, close my eyes and I'm at Cropredy... Sometimes I get really drunk and stand under a cold shower, just for the full effect  Cheesy
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2005, 12:19:41 AM »

I would love them to do"one night as I lie in my bed"  ands what do you do with a drunken sailor.  Smiley

Lord Marborrough
Bonny Black Hare
Doctor of physics
Polly
Spanish Main
Adieu adieu
Flowers of the forrest
yee mariners all
battle of the somme
sailors alphabet

Crackin choices, yeah I'd probably add one or two to that, but there's not a weak one amongst that list. There are a few trad songs I'd love Fairport to do as well.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Taliesin

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2005, 07:34:10 AM »

Jackdaw

The times I've had to listen to that song Rosmaries sister at the cropredy festival is unreal, its a horrible song.

Taliesin

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2005, 07:38:20 AM »

Jackdaw
Fairport Convention = a bunch of talented guys who play a wide range of musical styles.  No labels required.

No labels may be required its true, but I certainly know thay can do better than some of the non folk style lyrics that seem to end up, these MOR lyrics like Rosmaries sister, just is too sickly sweet. Lets have something that rock out or has something that uses their brilliant abilities far better.

Taliesin

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2005, 07:47:48 AM »

I would love them to do"one night as I lie in my bed"  ands what do you do with a drunken sailor.  Smiley

It would be interesting hearing a heavily distortion laden guitar & fiddle version of Drunken Sailor, in Drop D of course, as all the song is is:

Dm ///// C///// Dm///// F/ C/ Dm/, have tried that one myself with the Tele through the Marshall, on mildly overdiven crunch settings & it can really Rock, as you can then explore the fretbord a little further as the tune developes.

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2005, 08:04:14 AM »

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this discussion as Fairport's first Autumn date is this evening in Holland.

Anyone going?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: