TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:50:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitarist's Forum  (Read 333385 times)
Pete in Oxney

Loc: Wittersham, Isle of Oxney, Kent

I will be a better musician one of these days ...

« Reply #580 on: December 18, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »

Pete, no offence mate.

None taken Al. Your post did take me aback for a few seconds then I burst out laughing - it's been a while since anyone gave me a swift kick up the backside as a form of therapy. To be fair I worded my post badly and I was musing out loud, I should have said that left handedness possibly rather probably had an effect on my playing. In any case it's just something that passes through my mind from time to time and I'm certainly not obsessive about it, at 56 I'm hardly likely to start learning all over again just to satisfy my curiosity!

When I get my hands on the tab book I'll give ragtime a go again. I've left the guitar alone for a goodly while now and that sometimes gets you out of a blind alley and allows you to approach a playing problem with an open mind.

No doubt I'll be back to pick your brains.  Wink

I am the writer in sand
Al

Loc: Reading

Take it easy

« Reply #581 on: December 19, 2009, 01:07:12 PM »

Pete, no offence mate.

None taken Al.

Sincerely hope so  Smiley

The tab book is excellant, am sure it will infuse you enthusiasm anew - or have you throwing your guitar away in despair - please let us know which after a little while  Grin

Meanwhile, here's me playing a little Crimbo music for folk to enjoy ( hopefully ! )  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/user/houndheadhenry#p/u/0/BpXgOK77gfM

http://www.youtube.com/user/houndheadhenry#p/u/1/yJXTSf4BGxA

Happy Christmans everybody  Grin

Pete in Oxney

« Reply #582 on: December 19, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »

have you throwing your guitar away in despair

Oo, nay lad, here's two of the four... (if I've figured out how to post pics properly that is!)

[attachment deleted by admin]

I am the writer in sand
Al

Take it easy

« Reply #583 on: December 19, 2009, 06:12:13 PM »

how old is that Tama - thats what it is right ? I used to have one way back, it was great, lovely deep bass, nearly as rich as the Martin D-35 I used to have :-)

Have had lots of different guitars over the years, but nowadays only play my own handmade ones - adds a certain something to the experience  Smiley
Pete in Oxney

« Reply #584 on: December 19, 2009, 06:59:35 PM »

I bought the Tama new circa 1975/6 and it still plays well but is a bit hard on the fingers, I never fancied messing with the action because it's such a loud and proud beastie. I play the Balladeer more often now, Ovations aren't popular with some players I know but I've loved it since the day I bought it.

Here's a picture of the Washburn parlour guitar alongside my partner Sally's Ovation classical which we bought second hand a few years ago, it was originally owned by John Williams when he was in Sky, sold at auction for charity (it came with a hand written note from the man) and it's a belter!

Do you make guitars only for yourself Al?

I am the writer in sand
Henrik
I live in the wrong place - BEEEP !
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Oh, hands of Ralph - how you can play !

« Reply #585 on: December 19, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »

Pete, no offence mate.

None taken Al.

Sincerely hope so
The tab book is excellant, am sure it will infuse you enthusiasm anew - or have you throwing your guitar away in despair - please let us know which after a little while  Grin

Meanwhile, here's me playing a little Crimbo music for folk to enjoy ( hopefully ! )

http://www.youtube.com/user/houndheadhenry#p/u/0/BpXgOK77gfM

http://www.youtube.com/user/houndheadhenry#p/u/1/yJXTSf4BGxA

Happy Christmans everybody  Grin

Nice jobs, Al :-) - I must practice more - lots more  Roll Eyes

Merry Christmas everyone - or "Ględelig (joyful) Jul [yul] *)" as we say over here  Cool

Henrik

*) Yes, as in "yule-tide"  Wink

Don't know when we'll meet again ...
All I know is .... that we will.
Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #586 on: December 19, 2009, 08:20:38 PM »

Hello Henrik, thanks for the reply. I'm well used to most of the left hand tricks, thumb over the top for F, short barre etc and I play dropped D a lot, it's my favourite tuning in fact. Rhythm in the right hand is the problem when it comes to playing rags and I'd love to play Blind Blake's Rag, it's an all time favourite.

I've got the tab book on my Christmas list and I'll be stupidly pleased if someone buys it for me, if not it will be an early New Year purchase.

So why do I have right hand picking problems? Probably because I'm left handed but play standard right hand guitar. When I started playing as a youngster off the shelf left handed guitars were unheard of and custom build wasn't an option financially. I'd had a couple of years of piano lessons so my hands could already think for themselves and act independently, chording wasn't a problem and basic picks like Travis (clawhammer) came with a bit of practice.

I seem to hit a wall when it gets to syncopation and I've often wondered if I would have been a better guitarist picking with my left hand which is still pretty dominant. The fact that I play other instruments doesn't help much either because I've hardly touched the guitar in the last couple of years. Hopefully a new tab book will rekindle my interest and spur me on.

I use the Amaj6 (or A6 as I would call it) in Streets and Clare to Here (I seem to remember it being the opening chord of the intro to First and Last Man too, which is where I think I first came across it) so I'll give Time After Time a go before long. I've got a few extra days off over Christmas so I'll dust off the Tama and get my fingers good and sore!

Pete.  Grin

Well, it does sound as if you are quite experienced then, so I really don't think ragtime stuff should be that to difficult for you to
pick up (no pun intended Roll Eyes) once you get the hang of the idea. In many ways I think it's act. more "natural" or "easier" to
play that way, as it gives you a chance to add more stuff between the musical notes (when you have the time for it). So don't be
"afraid" to experiment!
For instance I will often play ordinary songs/ tunes that I know well in a ragtimish style - even though they normally have nothing
to do with ragtime at all -  just for the fun and practice of it. "Greensleeves" seem to work particularly well as a ragtime tune for
some strange reason Roll Eyes - Waltzing Mathilda is another one - and Ralph's version isn't that far out of reach - just a few clever tricks
really.

Another good trick which can be used in all sorts of tunes - halfway on the way to ragtime  Roll Eyes -  is to just let the notes that would
normally be played simultaneously to emphasize the tune part in a non-ragtime tune, according to the tab-notation, be played slightly
apart - ie. the bass note just before the "tune note" on the higher string. It produces a more interesting effect than just faithfully
playing them at exactly the same time all the time - like it's creating some kind of more exciting tension as to which note is going to
follow. As Al described very well playing ragtime is "merely " a question of overdoing this effect ( the "boom-chick" thing). So I imagine
it's really more a question of letting yourself loose, so to speak, than some kind of a left vs. right problem. I would suggest you try
playing the songs/ tunes you play well really sloppy on purpose and see, if you can reach that "raggy" feeling. After a while it will
probably seem very natural for you to play like this - like some automatic programme you can turn on and off at will.

Btw. I think you meant Fmaj6 there, didn't you? If not, I am really confused LOL
It's act. one of my favourite chords, which seems to pop up in all sorts of tunes - also in "Moonlight Shadow" btw. - ,
if you want them to sound that little bit extra. Many people will play a D7 or a Dm in SoL for instance, but I think
you will agree that this chord sounds better - especially when fingerpicking. ( and it is indeed the one that Ralph plays! Cool
most tabs out there are wrong with respect to this detail ).

So did you manage to figure out "Time After Time" yet? There are also the chords G, Em and Am/ Am7 in it ,
if memory serves me right.

Btw. this "left vs. right" thing is really odd in a way, I think. Why would I as a "righty" be doing all the
hard work with my left hand? When you think about it, we "righties" really ought to playing the opposite way Roll Eyes
But now I would be really put of to even think about starting from scratch to teach my right hand to do the
things my left hand is able to do, if someone suddenly placed a lefty guitar in front of me.

Well, I think you will be able  to learn far more than you give yourself credit for. It's mostly a question of
patience and determination, and then suddenly one day those previously difficult chords, moves and riffs will
just start flowing and simply become second nature to you - and make you wonder what on earth the problem was
in the first place. Personally I have improved a lot in the past couple of years this way - inspired by people like AL
and Lee and several others on YouTube - , so I am pretty sure you can do that too. Just keep on challenging yourself
and try expermenting - look for new variants of chords and alternative ways of fingering them (or just parts of them!).

I used to have a lot of trouble playing barred chords in songs like "First Song" - so I would cheat and just finger &
play a couple of the strings. "Hotel California" is another good one with several barred chords ( starting in Bm - 2'nd fret),
which used to give me an aching or cramping hand, because I used way to much force, but now I have a pretty good version
(the intro - both sections (try finding out how to play the bass driven section one octave higher, harmonised and with extra
fills ) - and the tune as well ) going of this famous song and can play it without any hand problems, which I had never expected.

Yes, so just carry on - and on! - and let us know how you improve, please.

Henrik
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:46:36 PM by Henrik » Logged

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #587 on: December 19, 2009, 08:39:28 PM »

have you throwing your guitar away in despair

Oo, nay lad, here's two of the four... (if I've figured out how to post pics properly that is!)

You have some nice looking guitars there, Pete - you make me drool Roll Eyes

Btw. I forgot to add that the tabbook "Songs for Six Strings" also contains a really
good trick on how to string your guitar in a way that will prevent the strings from
moving and thereby allow it to stay in tune for far longer. So whenever I pick up my
guitar up these days it's nearly always in tune or just needs minute adjustments.
I just really wish, I had known about this clever, but simple trick much earlier, when I
think of how much time I have been wasting over the years on tuning over and over,
simply because I had never learnt to string my guitar "properly" and was just using my
own homegrown "method", naively thinking that that was how things were supposed to be.  Roll Eyes

H.

Al

Take it easy

« Reply #588 on: December 20, 2009, 10:29:46 AM »

I bought the Tama new circa 1975/6 and it still plays well but is a bit hard on the fingers, I never fancied messing with the action because it's such a loud and proud beastie. I play the Balladeer more often now, Ovations aren't popular with some players I know but I've loved it since the day I bought it.

Here's a picture of the Washburn parlour guitar alongside my partner Sally's Ovation classical which we bought second hand a few years ago, it was originally owned by John Williams when he was in Sky, sold at auction for charity (it came with a hand written note from the man) and it's a belter!

Ah, my tama was similar age, a good year as they say  Grin I had Balladeer for while too, I quite like the crispness of the tone, sounded great for some things although not everything. My real issue with it was the depth of the body and it seemed to keep sliding off my knee !

Yes, I am only making them for myself a the moment, they sound great, play great and look great, but close up have too many flaws to consider asking money for them and I still feel like I have no idea what they are going to turn out like as instruments until I string them up for the first time. Although I had a very enlightening conversation with an extremely well-known luthier when i went to visit him and he said the very same thing to me - so I felt a bit better about that ! Although I have made one a gift for my brother, one for my father-in-law and one is with a friend on a semi-permanent-ive-got-no-room-for-it loan  Grin

I've always found it interesting and slightly amusing how proud guitarists, in particular, are of their instruments, and how attached we get to them. I'm no different to anybody else, so here's a picture !  Grin

It shows two of my previous efforts, one a 00 size body with a Stauffer style neck with carved headstock and banjo tuners, as Martins used to have at one time, and the other is my favourite to date, a slightly mis-shapen OM style in Cedar and Mahogany that is s light as feather and sings like no other guitar I've ever played - and everyone who hears it wants to take it home ! If I knew how I did it I'd be making dozens of them  Grin

Al  Smiley

Al

Take it easy

« Reply #589 on: December 20, 2009, 10:30:37 AM »

and here's my current work in progress.. a Martin OM style in sitka spruce and Mayan Walnut, with a band of lighter sapwood that made a beautiful natural stripe down the back when I joined the two halves together. I've put a lot of care into this one and am making a neck with a maple bound fingerboard, work has stopped until the Summer because I have to do my sanding outside, can't wait to finish it and say 'Hello'.

Pete in Oxney

« Reply #590 on: December 20, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »

Btw. I think you meant Fmaj6 there, didn't you? If not, I am really confused LOL

Yes I did mean F6 not A6, sorry. I'd been messing about with an online chord finder and went off at a tangent, confusing myself in the process!  Roll Eyes One of the books I lost in the fire was my chord dictionary, I suppose I should replace it at some stage but have never really felt the need to do so as chord windows and tab are so common these days.

I will look out for the stringing tip when I get the tab book, every little helps.

Your guitars look really good Al, and if you used them for your youtube clips they have a fine tone too. The finer points of finishing will come in time I'm sure. I look forward to hearing the new one when it's finished.

I am the writer in sand
A french fan

« Reply #591 on: December 20, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »

I have find to day a video of the song Zimmerman blues, on youtube
I think it is played by one member of this forum , Henrik ( a very impressive writer...).
I try to find, since a long time, an old chords book, with  all the old songs of Ralph Mctell.
But it is very difficult to find it, even on ebay.
SO, does somebody can give me the chords of this song
Thank you in advance

And Merry Christmas to all of you

Pascal

SteveK
No load, always skip

Loc: London

It's a long way up from down here

« Reply #592 on: December 20, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »

I think it is played by one member of this forum , Henrik ( a very impressive writer...).
I try to find, since a long time, an old chords book, with  all the old songs of Ralph Mctell.
Thank you in advance

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Zimmerman blues is in the "Streets/Easy/Not till Tomorrow" 1976 songbook - They do come up on ebay occasionally.

The chords are very simple
G/Am/F/C/D7
G/Am/F/C/D7
C/D/G
C/D7/G/C/D7

Em/C/D7/G/Em/C/D7/G

Enjoy!

Merry Chrismas to you as well.

SteveK

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #593 on: December 20, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »

Thank you in advance

Pascal

'ello, Pascal Grin

Did you mean this fellow by any chance?   Wink -  Leon Mitchel aka Lee ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQs0IkLcVTk

Yes, he is excellent  Cool
But I don't think he is a member here - yet LOL

"Zimmerman Blues" is also in that new Ralph tab-book called
"Songs for Six Strings" ( www.ralphmctell.co.uk )

H.

A french fan

« Reply #594 on: December 20, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »

thanks Henrik for your answer,
But I have bought this book "songs for Six Strings" and Zimmerman blues in not in this book...
Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #595 on: December 20, 2009, 06:29:42 PM »

thanks Henrik for your answer,
But I have bought this book "songs for Six Strings" and Zimmerman blues in not in this book...

Ah, so sorry about that - I just assumed it was there, since it contains
"all" his best songs. How odd that they "forgot" about that one.

But like Steve Said. it's pretty straight forward with basic chords.
Add a G-bass (with your pinky) to the Am as you descend to the F.

And add a G on the 6'th string ( on and off - with your pinky as well ),
when you play the D7, just before you come to the Em ( ie. the chorus part ).

Hope this helps Wink

H.

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #596 on: December 20, 2009, 06:48:52 PM »

Yes I did mean F6 not A6, sorry. I'd been messing about with an online chord finder and went off at a tangent, confusing myself in the process!  Roll Eyes One of the books I lost in the fire was my chord dictionary, I suppose I should replace it at some stage but have never really felt the need to do so as chord windows and tab are so common these days.

I will look out for the stringing tip when I get the tab book, every little helps.

Your guitars look really good Al, and if you used them for your youtube clips they have a fine tone too. The finer points of finishing will come in time I'm sure. I look forward to hearing the new one when it's finished.

OK, so I am not confused anymore Roll Eyes

Hints:

http://i46.tinypic.com/25g8hs0.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/akx2s8.jpg

Hope they are big enough to see properly? This clever trick did wonders for my guitar & me Cool -
Now, why didn't I think of this ?!?!?! LOL - it's so obvious - afterwards! - that you need to
lock the strings in their "positions".

H.

A french fan

« Reply #597 on: December 21, 2009, 05:39:31 PM »

I' m sorry SteveK ,
I have just seen today   Shocked,
 that yesterday afternoon you have post the Chords for Zimmerman blues,
before the Henrik' s message. So I have answered To Henrik but not to you  Embarrassed

Thanks a lot to you  ,
now I can try to play this song...

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #598 on: December 21, 2009, 07:26:05 PM »

I' m sorry SteveK ,
I have just seen today   Shocked,
 that yesterday afternoon you have post the Chords for Zimmerman blues,
before the Henrik' s message. So I have answered To Henrik but not to you  Embarrassed

Thanks a lot to you  ,
now I can try to play this song...

So when can we expect to see the finished version up on YouTube, Pascal?  Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes Cool

Al

Take it easy

« Reply #599 on: December 23, 2009, 10:05:48 PM »

So when can we expect to see the finished version up on YouTube, Pascal?  Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes Cool

More to the point, when are we going to see you on YouTube, or have I missed something :-)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: