TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:35:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Folk Festival 2005  (Read 28719 times)
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« on: May 14, 2005, 09:06:01 AM »

The festival had a successful first night.

Whapweasel were excellent and had a lively ceilidh.

On the second stage French accordionist Norbert Pignol was a surprise star, who played with a style I have never heard before. I have heard of 'aspirating' (ie playing in a style that makes the instrument breathe, but never seen it done. And he was a jolly nice chap. He is on again today in the main Hall.

Our own David Hughes played to a small but select and very appreciative audience. He too is on the main stage today.

The beer seemed to go down well, and Nick, as ver, was an appreciated beacon in the crowds.

Off to day two soon.

Sandra
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 09:16:54 PM by sandy » Logged

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 10:16:31 AM »

Day one sounded excellent Sandy - enjoy day two, looking forward to the next installment  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 08:12:18 PM »

Thanks for the report Sandy, good to know that it is all running smoothly  Smiley
That Nick eh? what would we all do without him Grin
Looking forward to 'day 2', even at this distance Wink
That French accordianist sounds interesting, I've never heard that style of playing either, sounds complicated to my non-musical fingers. Is he appearing anywhere else in the UK?

Mic - all the best to the Oxford Fest Grin

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 09:18:21 PM »

I've just come home from spending time and money (gorgeous necklaces) at the Oxford Festival. I spent rather too much time talking rather than listening (ooh slap wrist) but David was, as ever, brilliant.

As for Songs from the Blue House, well I told them they were absolutely hilarious and they looked a bit worried. 'Didn't mean to be funny' they said.

But they played and sang wonderfully as well. I recommend them .18/10

Dynamo Sandra and Chris were slaving over a hot bar, well sticky anyway, and it was all a total hoot

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 03:22:52 AM »

Home ever so slightly later than Jude.

Had a wonderful second day. Much music heard, beer consumed, and laughter had (particularly when the bar exploded - you had to be there) Nice shirt, Nuts! Excellent sets by the lads (and lass) from the East. Oh, and thanks Jude for picking up on a new Custom Title for James...

One more day tomorrow, starting with the Warrinor Rants - Go Ollie!

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 09:23:20 AM »

Tell us more then about the exploding bar?!!!  Huh

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 10:15:37 AM »

Tell us more then about the exploding bar?!!!  Huh

Yes please do! It was all right when I left............

Jude

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 10:56:38 AM »

Sounds like a brilliant time is being had... if we were nearer and not tied ip we'd be there too...

Good luck for the rest of the weekend...

Love  Amy and Bob!! Wink

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 06:18:22 PM »

I have retired home early from the fray in order to preserve some semblance of domesticity at Kirk Central, however I must say that Warriner Rants were marvellous! Very good, even without use of the phrase 'for their age'. A couple of faces to look out for there, certainly. I thought Mr Hughes kicked up a storm on the 'unrecognised' set on sunday morning. The bar looked suitably gaffered back to immobility too. Mmmm Brewer's Gold, how convenient! Great to finally put some bodies to avatars too. Thanks for the coffee and toast Sandy, the queueing timing and expertise Nuthouse (nice beard, Sir!), and use of Cocker's sunday morning paper!
Cheers
Skirky

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 08:07:36 PM »

Quick message from Oxfest Central (Sandy's house)...

Oxford Folk was a great success. The bands played, people came and people left with smiles. Great stuff from DH, from SftBH and from the Rants. Add to that the committed work from Sandy, Chris and Chris and Sterling support from Nuts, Anji and Jude and I think Talkawhile deserves a major pat on the back for making the festival such a success.

The beer's been mopped off the ceiling, the Town Hall is clear. On to the Hollywell Rooms next (after Pizza hopefully) for the final fling. Back to normal on Monday.

As Anji says: Later, Punks

Cheesy

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 08:11:09 PM »

Thanks Nick for the update, it all sounded great and wished I could have been there but what about the exploding bar?!!!!  Cool

James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 08:24:44 PM »

JJ, there was a brief beer/gravity interface involving a slightly dodgy stillage, dislodging some 6 or so casks out of the 24 odd on dispense. Several good men and true worked tirelessly to get them all back up again, braving wet feet (well wet everythings really), sticky floors and a not insignificant flood. Just as the last cask was being put back up, it all came down again again, but this time about 12 casks bit the dust! Bang, crash, fizz. That was the soundtrack.  I was there, a mere 6 feet away and I saw the whole thing. Most tumultous! I'm pleased to report that the beer pretty much all behaved itself and was fine again by morning.

PS Olly's mob were a real eye-opener, and I must echo Skirky's comment that it's a nailed-on certainty that we'll be hearing more from them as time goes by. Really very good and extremely refreshing (not unlike a good beer shower). The twins, having slept through our set (again... Angry) had a blimmin' good bounce while Olly and co. were on and thoroughly enjoyed it, as did their mum and dad.

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 10:14:37 AM »

They don't half make a bang when they hit the floor them barrels, eh! It was after the first cascade was restored that all hell broke loose. Shook the town hall that did. Yes, the Crouch Vale "Essex Boys" was back to tasting splendid by morning. Must remember to rephrase my reply to questions from Banjo Barnes, the brewer, like: "What did you have last night?" Answer: three Essex boys. (It just creates unnecessary confusion.)

Let me add my endorsement. Getting up early on Sunday and leaving the Sports Section on Sandy's table to go and see Warriner Rants was more than worthwhile. They were fantastic! Well done Olly and his mates!

Old Bates was doing stirling work, too! Blimey! I didn't see him once in the front row for anything AND he never got his camera out, either!

ollythedolly
Grownup
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

One more time with feeling

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 04:34:55 PM »

Smiley thanks, it was a pleasure to play there and have a roadie/pa man! might have got 2 more gig's out of it as well!..............
olly,
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 05:42:53 PM »

Smiley thanks, it was a pleasure to play there and have a roadie/pa man! might have got 2 more gig's out of it as well!..............
olly,

A person with your own roadie eh Olly?

There'll be no stopping you now.......

Jude

Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 08:09:18 PM »

Well done Olly and Co Smiley pleased to hear that it went so well......I'll catch up with you one day, by then you'll be so famous I won't be able to get your autograph Wink Wink

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 12:37:25 AM »

Thanks all for coming.

Thanks to those who played. You were all stars.

Olly and his band certainly seem to have made an impression in the Oxfordshire folk scene, and I am glad that it gave you the chance to show off what we knew you could do. It was a pleasure meeting your parents as well. Olly.

Helen and James with the lovely twins was a pleasure to behold. I think I can tell them apart now. SftBH deserved a bigger audience, but those who were there thought they were great. Chris is certainly a big fan now, and he did not even see them, but decided that on the strength of their CDs.

David was, as ever a star. I felt so proud on Saturday to see him on the stage and think "I know him". I have been humming his songs all day. Strange how the lyrics stick in your head.

Stuart (Nuthouse) was also a star in a different way. Having volunteered to help out behind the bar he ended up being general dogsbody and factotum, a role he undertook with exceptional good grace and willingness. A huge thank you. sir.

Nick, Jude and Anji, representing the audience aspect of Talkawhile, seemed to enjoy themselves. It was just a shame we did not all have more time to get together.

I cannot give you a proper review of many of the other bands, as I did not get to see many.

Some that I did see that stick in the mind was the wonderful Norbert Pignol again, Jaune Toujours who took the roof off the Cellar Bar on Saturday night. They went down with everybody from the geriatric to the young offenders - what a band for Cropredy!

Juan Martin and Quinteto Fabuloso were just that - fabulous, and the Demon Barbers, as ever, never cease to amaze. They were dancing in the Cellar bar with millimetres to spare between their somersaulting feet and the ceiling.

Les Barker made me cry with laughing, as always.

Thanks for all who have supported us. Going by the comments I have received to date it was a huge success. We hope to see you next year.

Sandra

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 12:42:06 AM »

Any reports from the songwriting workshop? People befuddled by the dropped 'd' tuning? More epics ahoy about how nice Essex is?  Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 12:43:32 AM »

I only went to that I could gaze lustily at the Stevie Nicks lookalike and her mate on the candle stall  Grin

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 12:46:38 AM »

No reports from that, but we have had compliants from the Museum of Oxford, which is underneath the second stage, about the noise we made, especially the clog dancing workshop (actually, that was probably just me landing heavily - wait till I get the clogs!).

Sandra

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: