TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:01:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cycling to Cropredy 2005  (Read 54730 times)
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 12:27:45 AM »

You're right Nick it was 2003.

I remember seeing (and talking to) mike Jervis cause he was using one of the mobility scooters at the time.

Sorry but I cant find a web related page atm but I'm sure there is one somewhere. If not here then on the Show of Hands board (assuming I dont get barred for mentioning it  Roll Eyes Grin

MikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
jOhN
Lord of Time, Space & Beer
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sunny Nottingham

I bet you won't recognise me at the bar!!!!

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 08:11:17 AM »

Yes it was Mike & 2 friends from Sheffield (an accountant & a Vicar) they walked from Sheffield.

Wrong direction for you but they may be able to supply you with advice!!

I am Dyslexia of Borg, prepare to have your Ass Laminated!!!
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 11:36:09 PM »

Thanks to "Katy's Mum" who donated Sustrans maps and a book about cycling in England I can inform
you about the routing plans for the English part of my journey very soon. The company who manufactured by bike, by the way, has answered to my request by telling me they would have hundreds of requests like this each year, and they would donate to a charity thing once a year and nothing else. Okay ! I can live with it. But anyway I was a bit disappointed, as so many people (besides this forum) have supported me already.
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 12:22:15 AM »

Walter

I could possibly offer you a bed for a night in Oxford, jsut before your final 'push' to Cropredy.

Let me know when you expect to be passing through when you sort out your itinerary.

Sandra

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 09:11:25 AM »

Just caught up with this...  Mike Jervis along with John the vicar and Alan from Sheffield did the Cropredy walk in 2003... it was the HOTTEST week of the century (so far!).

They raised a lot of money.. but Mike knackered his feet!! Yes they did an online diary.. I will ask them how for you...  there was a website but I don't know if it's still on...  it was called 'Blistering Pace'.. very appropriate....

If you want to contact Mike about it you can get him through the Farnsfield Acoustic website..  at the bottom of this post.

Good Luck!!

Amy

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 11:08:24 AM »

Walter,
Maybe the issue of relieving yourself of the bicycle here in England before you fly home, could be resolved by auctioning off the bike. Having an auction will also be a good way of making more money for your cause as all proceeds can go to the Teenage Cancer Trust you are supporting.
Here are two possible suggestions, we could hold an auction in advance of your journey, with board subscribers bidding here, or we could wait and hold the auction at the festival. 
Best of luck on your journey from Stuttgart, I'll have a pint waiting for you at the bar.   Fez
Martin
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 11:42:57 AM »

Bit of a b*gg*r getting said bike home though.....! Grin

I'd be happy to store it here in Great Bourton for collection though..... Cheesy

I'll match Martin's pint, Walter! Grin

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 09:25:39 AM »

Are you coming in via Harwich? If so, you will pass close to several board members in Essex, at least one of whom will happily provide a pint en route.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 08:15:54 PM »

Would it be possible to get the ferry home?  That way you could take your bike back with you.
Walter has already stated that due to time restraints he will fly back to Stuttgart, that is why I suggested the auction as a way to dispose of the bike and at the same time, raise more money for the cancer charity.
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 10:12:11 PM »

Would it be possible to get the ferry home?  That way you could take your bike back with you.
I'm gonna fly back, and some friends are gonna carry the bike back home. Anyway, in planning my journey this is one of the things with less priority.
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 10:15:58 PM »

Are you coming in via Harwich? If so, you will pass close to several board members in Essex, at least one of whom will happily provide a pint en route.
My plans are not quite sure yet. I think I'll arrive in Dover from Calais at least 4 days before Cropredy starts. I will inform the forum about the route that I'm planning very soon. "Katy's Mum" had some editor made me send maps and I will check them out.
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 10:21:40 PM »

Walter has already stated that due to time restraints he will fly back to Stuttgart, that is why I suggested the auction as a way to dispose of the bike and at the same time, raise more money for the cancer charity.
As the company who has manufactured my bike doesn't seem to want to support me, I'm prepared to travel with my "old" bike, 25 years old, but in the best of conditions as a repair service told me today, with only 5 gears to improve the going on. Therefore I
m thinking about donating this very old bike for the Hokey Pokey Charity Raffle (in case anyone would like to win this prize).
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2005, 01:05:42 PM »

Good news ! I've got an 18-gear bike now thanks to my colleague Angelika Reber.
It's much easier now to get "over the next hill".
May I draw your attention to my photographic report of the cycling tours I do
when rehearsing for the big trip in August? Everybody can share some wonderful
sights with me, cause you can see places that others wont in case they're driving by car.
www.foreveryoung-germany.de
Click "Forever Youngs Cropredy Warm-Up".
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2005, 01:40:35 PM »

Thanks for putting that link up Forever Young, such absolutely stunning scenery, I was entranced by it all.
I wish all the very best as you cycle to Cropredy, and very much looking forward to meeting you there!!!! Smiley
If I was a hundredth as fit as you are............it would be a VAST improvement Grin

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
ArmandFrvr
n3wb

Loc: sunny Banbury

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2005, 07:47:58 AM »

Hey! This is awesome! More converts! I cycled to Cropredy from London last year. This year I'm flying into Paris, biking to Calais and ferrying over to Dover. I just ordered the Sustrans' map last week in fact. Last year I used their maps for the Thames Valley Cycle Route and found them to be extremely helpful for the most part. At one point I came to a rail bridge that was closed off, and had to figure out how to get around it without the GPS map, since I hadn't loaded the maps for that section! All in all though they're pretty good maps, unless something has changed the roads within the last year or so.

The biggest disadvantage of the NCN route was the entire day in which I saw nothing but fields full of sheep. Baaah.

Still trying to decide whether to buy a bike here or in Paris. I'm NOT taking my $50 Wal-mart bike with me, and the one I had last year got stolen last October. Sad

How long do you think it will take you to get from Germany to England? I haven't really looked at the maps of France yet to get a sense of the distances; I'm just going in plenty of time, and if I find myself near London too soon I'll just spend a few days wandering there or maybe Oxford. There was a wonderful wooden toy shop in Oxford that I didn't get a chance to go into last year...
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2005, 10:02:25 AM »

Hey! This is awesome! More converts! I cycled to Cropredy from London last year. This year I'm flying into Paris, biking to Calais and ferrying over to Dover. I just ordered the Sustrans' map last week in fact. Last year I used their maps for the Thames Valley Cycle Route and found them to be extremely helpful for the most part. At one point I came to a rail bridge that was closed off, and had to figure out how to get around it without the GPS map, since I hadn't loaded the maps for that section! All in all though they're pretty good maps, unless something has changed the roads within the last year or so.

The biggest disadvantage of the NCN route was the entire day in which I saw nothing but fields full of sheep. Baaah.

Still trying to decide whether to buy a bike here or in Paris. I'm NOT taking my $50 Wal-mart bike with me, and the one I had last year got stolen last October. Sad

How long do you think it will take you to get from Germany to England? I haven't really looked at the maps of France yet to get a sense of the distances; I'm just going in plenty of time, and if I find myself near London too soon I'll just spend a few days wandering there or maybe Oxford. There was a wonderful wooden toy shop in Oxford that I didn't get a chance to go into last year...
Good to hear of your plans to cyle as well ! I'm gonna start my trip here in Stuttgart either on the 29th or the 30th July. So I have 13 or 14 days for 1.000 kilometers approximately. Have you got any link for the GPS maps to download? What maps can you recommend for France?
See you at Cropredy and have a drink !
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2005, 01:13:14 PM »

Hi all !
I've planned the route now ! Cheesy Check it out at www.foreveryoung-germany.de
Everybody who wants to join me when cycling from Dover to Cropredy, or who wants
to meet me up on one of the evenings for a drink is very welcome. Tongue
If you can recommend B&Bs or camping sites let me know, please !
My route can differ +/- 10 miles on each day, of course, because you never know .....
Yours, Walter !
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2005, 11:00:25 AM »

Hello, all of you Cropredians !
You might have thought my trip won't come true. But everything is well planned now, and the rehearsals are going on well. The itinerary of my 14 days journey is complete now. Only 17 days left now before I will leave Stuttgart. Check out my website www.foreveryoung-germany.de for the details (and lots of photographs as well). I will arrive in Dover by boat on the early sunday afternoon (August 7th), hopefully. Sandy on this forum has kindly offered me a bed in Oxford for the night before the final push to Cropredy. The 5 stages I will travel in England are roughly planned, because I haven't booked any B&B or camping. If anyone on this forum wants to join me or meet me up, please let me know ! Does anybody know why "Katy's Mum" isn't on this forum anymore? She had kindly donated Sustrans cycling maps and 2 books abouth the british cycling net which were were helpful for my plans.
Look forward to hear from you, and finally to arrive in time for Tickled Pink !!!!!
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2005, 11:18:17 AM »

Go Walter Go!!!!!
Best wishes for your journey.
If you arrive for 12.00 noon, head straight to the Pavillion for a resounding welcome and as much beer as you drink!  Failing that, 6.00 pm at field bar  Grin  Fez

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2005, 11:45:40 AM »

If the weather is anything like now, you'll need a drink!

Good luck for a safe journey.

Malcolm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: