TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:35:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cycling to Cropredy 2005  (Read 54296 times)
forever young

keep on rocking

« on: April 02, 2005, 04:13:38 PM »

Hi all !
This is an official declaration that I will travel to Cropredy by bicycle this year from Stuttgart, Germany. The idea for it came up at last year's event when I promised this to some friends in case Cropredy 2005 will take place. As my local football club www.tsvgruenbuehl.de has been supporting a childhood cancer trust with a young player's tournament the last few years I decided to do this as well. More information on my website www.foreveryoung-germany.de ! I have started to organize the whole thing already. Everybody who can help me with some good advices, especially planning the route from Dover to Cropredy, is very welcome !
I reckon that my journey will take between 10 and 14 days (1.000 kilometers from Stuttgart to Cropredy). In case the company where I got my (25 year old) bike from will sponsor me with a new bike I will donate it for the Hokey Pokey Charity Raffle, because I will have to go back home by plane. My office won't allow me to go on holiday for 4 weeks. Smiley Simon-Full I'm looking forward to your feedback !!!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 04:47:53 PM »

Good luck, Walter! Grin

Sustrans www.sustrans.org run a National Cycle Network & you might want to invest in the regional maps from their website - you can plan online, but only town by town & it'll take an age.

These routes cover roads & off-road, so you can alter the view from your bike. Wink

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 04:59:01 PM »

All good wishes for your trek Walter.

You should come and have a cup of tea if you're passing.....

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 05:22:24 PM »

Good luck Walter and I hope the rain stays away for you!!

AmyJen Smiley Wink

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 07:06:16 PM »

Good luck for a very good cause  Smiley

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 08:19:43 PM »

All good wishes for your trek Walter.

You should come and have a cup of tea if you're passing.....

Jude
Thank you !!! I'll probably prefer a 6X.
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 08:21:09 PM »

Good luck, Walter! Grin

Sustrans www.sustrans.org run a National Cycle Network & you might want to invest in the regional maps from their website - you can plan online, but only town by town & it'll take an age.

These routes cover roads & off-road, so you can alter the view from your bike. Wink
Thanks a lot. I'll check it out
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 08:25:03 PM »

Go for it Walter.  I admire your determination.  1000km!  I cycle to the school where I work - about 3 miles - and that's enough!  No ly-cra, you understand - I've got a Dutch roadster, sit up straight type of bike, the kind you can wear a skirt to ride.

You might like to check out Josie Dew's website at http://www.josiedew.co.uk/  She's done a lot of long distance cycling and written several books about her adventures.  They are very entertaining reading.

Good luck and I hope you manage to get that new bike. Smiley

P.S.  I had to write ly-cra like that, otherwise it did this:  L***a.  Can't imagine why!
Thanks a lot for your good wishes !!! I'm thinking about trying to go by bike wearing a skirt tomorrow. The guys of my local football club will find it very funny. I'll check out your friend's website. I like entertaining books a lot. Thanks again !
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 10:27:59 PM »

Walter good luck!

The Sustrans maps are the best for cyclists. You ought to get The official guide to the National Cycle Network by Nick Cotton and John Grimshaw (Sustrans) ISBN 1-901389-23-5 MY COPY COST £9.99

The detailed route maps are very good. They are availble directly from Sustrans as Chris says and also from Waterstones a national network of bookshops in all larger cities in England.

Josie Drew's books are great and include very useful sections on equipment.

Puggs

forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 09:19:45 AM »

Walter good luck!

The Sustrans maps are the best for cyclists. You ought to get The official guide to the National Cycle Network by Nick Cotton and John Grimshaw (Sustrans) ISBN 1-901389-23-5 MY COPY COST £9.99

The detailed route maps are very good. They are availble directly from Sustrans as Chris says and also from Waterstones a national network of bookshops in all larger cities in England.

Josie Drew's books are great and include very useful sections on equipment.

Puggs
Very helpful. Thanks and cheers !
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »

Walter

As a bit of a cyclist myself, I'm impressed. Good luck with the ride.

Unfortunately, I live north of Cropredy so can't offer any en-route help unless you are seriously lost. However, if you publish a list of requirements we can hopefully arrange pick up points on the way up from Dover.

Clive

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 11:59:38 AM »

Walter..

Once you have your route organised let us know. Then, if you would like, as you pass through the UK countryside anyone who was close to your route could join you for a little while to keep you company on your way...

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 02:40:19 PM »

Another point I'm sure you are doin, get some practice in!

There are some awful uncomfy bikes/saddles/positions out there....

Puggs  Angry

johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don“t mention the war

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 09:07:35 AM »

Hi Walter,
your first night could be in Worms (is it possible to cycle 130 km in one day Huh). My sofa and a good bottle of wine are waiting for you.

Cheers
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 09:52:05 AM »

I just had another thought, Walter.

You could keep an internet diary of the journey and post it on your website / on this board / or even on FC's website, if they would let you.  Why not email the webmaster?  The address is on the site.  Maybe Simon Nicol could advise.  I think he visits this board from time to time.  If you are listening Simon.........?
Good idea !  I thought about an internet diary already. But I would have to find an internet cafe every evening, as I don't have a laptop. Anyway in case I had one I think it wouldn't be possible to carry it because there will be some luggage on the bike. Is Simon Fairport's webmaster? As we know each other I think he will let me. Won't you, Simon?
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 09:54:34 AM »

Walter..

Once you have your route organised let us know. Then, if you would like, as you pass through the UK countryside anyone who was close to your route could join you for a little while to keep you company on your way...
I'd be very keen to have some people join me. For my german route some friends have already asked me as well.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 12:12:29 PM »

Is Simon Fairport's webmaster? As we know each other I think he will let me. Won't you, Simon?

Email Andy Farquarson......

forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 11:39:42 PM »

Good idea !  I thought about an internet diary already. But I would have to find an internet cafe every evening, as I don't have a laptop. Anyway in case I had one I think it wouldn't be possible to carry it because there will be some luggage on the bike. Is Simon Fairport's webmaster? As we know each other I think he will let me. Won't you, Simon?

I think what you need is something called a palmtop - possibly?!  I don't know how one accesses the internet with such a thing.  I'm sure there are some technically minded people on this board who can answer that one.

I'm almost certain that Simon Nicol is not the webmaster for FC's site.  Where would he find the time?  But you can email the webmaster directly through the site.  Click on the 'Contacts' tab. 
I've done this already. Thanks ! The palmtops thing sounds very interesting. You may be interested that in German language bringing someone on a palm's top means you've made him very angry. One of the teachers of mine many many years ago once said, that in case we'd bring him on the palm top he'd throw coconuts on us.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 12:06:31 AM »

Weren't there 3 folks who walked to Cropredy last year on behalf of Teenage Cancer Trust and kept an on-line diary?

Maybe they could help or those who remember could provide some ideas

mikeC  (who cant remember any more details sorry)

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 12:18:49 AM »

That was 2003. I remember board member Mike (Mike Jervis) was one of the walkers. Apologies that I can't remember the others. Puggs and Amy will no doubt recall.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: