TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 11, 2026, 12:49:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 98094 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 3143
Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS


Merry Hell have been


« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2026, 01:32:21 PM »

I recently went to a film and talk about Hollywood at the local museum. There was quite a bit of Dead in it including an interview with Bobby. Mrs Reg and The Amazing Beatleman produced a multimedia box set of th festival as part of a business project by a special needs clsss, all with proper licenses. It was a while back but I sourced the Dead audio for them from The Live Music Archive.
Logged

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 12883
Loc: Caer



WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2026, 05:31:08 PM »


I recently went to a film and talk about Hollywood at the local museum. There was quite a bit of Dead in it including an interview with Bobby. Mrs Reg and The Amazing Beatleman produced a multimedia box set of th festival as part of a business project by a special needs clsss, all with proper licenses. It was a while back but I sourced the Dead audio for them from The Live Music Archive.


This one, Nick?

https://www.discogs.com/release/5539560-Grateful-Dead-Grateful-Dead-At-The-Hollywood-Festival
Logged

Link to my Raissa Page book via the web button on left
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 2838
Loc: Gloucester



« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2026, 06:09:00 PM »

Ah, Ozit-Morpheus Records... I have a Beefheart album on that label - "Merseytrout - Live in Liverpool" - I bought it because I attended that very gig, which was in a nightclub (I think called Bailey's or Romeo & Juliet's by then, but had been the Top Rank Suite).  Happy days/daze indeed.

(Incidentally, the album title is loosely connected to the Liverpool term "Mersey goldfish" - aka a jobbie). However, the album is far from sh!te.
Logged

Flobbadob!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 3143
Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS


Merry Hell have been


« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2026, 06:12:06 PM »



I recently went to a film and talk about Hollywood at the local museum. There was quite a bit of Dead in it including an interview with Bobby. Mrs Reg and The Amazing Beatleman produced a multimedia box set of th festival as part of a business project by a special needs clsss, all with proper licenses. It was a while back but I sourced the Dead audio for them from The Live Music Archive.


This one, Nick?

https://www.discogs.com/release/5539560-Grateful-Dead-Grateful-Dead-At-The-Hollywood-Festival
That looks like a bootleg. The school one contained a cd, a dvd, a T shirt, posters etc etc and sold for about £40. . Really wish I'd  got one.. The presentation was interesting but inaccurate and contained some footage from non festival gigs. I was the only one in our group who watched it who wasn't there due to exams. The parents of. Phil Mason of Alfa Nine were at the presentation and speak in the film. A lot of people I know who went haven't been to a festival since!!!
Logged

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 2838
Loc: Gloucester



« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2026, 06:14:32 PM »

Saturday 8th & Monday 10th August...

https://www.picturehouses.com/movie-details/004/HO00018378/grateful-dead-meet-up-at-the-movies-2026?filter=

Come celebrate the 35th anniversary of an iconic Grateful Dead show as it makes a high- energy return to the big screen! On August 8th & 10th, join Dead Heads in your neighborhood - and around the world - for the 2026 Grateful Dead Meet-Up at the Movies. This can’t-miss event features the complete June 17, 1991 concert from Giants Stadium. The performance launches with a shocking "Eyes Of The World," finding the band in peak form from the very first notes. The setlist continues, seamlessly blending beloved classics like "Truckin’" and "Uncle John’s Band" with rarities such as "Saint Of Circumstance," "Might As Well," "New Speedway Boogie," and "China Doll." The major highlight of the night is the continuous teases of “Dark Star” edging its way in and out through the evening at six different points before finally exploding into the full song. The Dead capped off the spectacular night with The Band’s “The Weight,” a perfect song to send the crowd on its way. Considered one of the greatest shows of the band's final decade of performing, 6/17/91 offers a unique auditory experience as one of only two shows captured on 48-track tape. Enjoy a masterful surround sound mix by Jeffrey Norman and multi-camera visuals, featuring a rare cinematic appearance by both Bruce Hornsby and Vince Welnick. As a bonus, this extraordinary screening will also feature an exclusive sneak preview of the legendary “Shakedown Street” from the upcoming Merriweather 6/30/85 release, and a special introduction by Grateful Dead Legacy Manager and Audio archivist, David Lemieux. Join us, won’t you?
Logged

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 2879


« Reply #165 on: Yesterday at 09:44:21 AM »

Tonight's R4   Archive Hour is entitled:

The Grateful Dead are More Important than the Beatles.

Some  folk will know I have no time for Beatles, so I can afford a little smile.
Logged
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 12883
Loc: Caer



WWW
« Reply #166 on: Yesterday at 12:05:20 PM »


Tonight's R4   Archive Hour is entitled:

The Grateful Dead are More Important than the Beatles.

Some  folk will know I have no time for Beatles, so I can afford a little smile.


Stupid attention gathering headline but it's actually quite an interesting programme I think (or looks like it will be given a news article I was reading about it yesterday).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0032qmb

Here's the article (unpaywalled) https://archive.is/CB3sZ

Hopefully, one day, somebody will answer as to why so many (particularly American) Deadheads are right wing.  I suspect it's that RW/Utilitarian crossover point, but what do I know...

I literally don't know what to do with the "I have no time for the Beatles" bit.  It's utterly meaningless to me.  I bet a large percentage of the people whose music you have time for had an awful lot of time for the Beatles themselves?  
Logged

Link to my Raissa Page book via the web button on left
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 2879


« Reply #167 on: Yesterday at 01:01:41 PM »



Tonight's R4   Archive Hour is entitled:

The Grateful Dead are More Important than the Beatles.

Some  folk will know I have no time for Beatles, so I can afford a little smile.


Stupid attention gathering headline but it's actually quite an interesting programme I think (or looks like it will be given a news article I was reading about it yesterday).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0032qmb

Here's the article (unpaywalled) https://archive.is/CB3sZ

Hopefully, one day, somebody will answer as to why so many (particularly American) Deadheads are right wing.  I suspect it's that RW/Utilitarian crossover point, but what do I know...

I literally don't know what to do with the "I have no time for the Beatles" bit.  It's utterly meaningless to me.  I bet a large percentage of the people whose music you have time for had an awful lot of time for the Beatles themselves?  


Thanks for the article- will definitely read later.

I don't understand America,  and its politics  are equally baffling to me. I have noted  reactionary tendencies  in elderly hippies in our own country and I can't work it out either.  Something to do with  extreme individualism  in outlook. There are libertarian s of the left  and I  think I might be one,  and there are libertarians of the right. I'll leave it there.

The Beatles thing has become my joke on here,  and I think I should stop.
I know what you mean about the influence- Ian Hunter- now there's a rocker I admire - said people who don't  understand Dylan don't understand rock.n roll.  He is entitled to say what he likes of course, I shall continue to enjoy  my Mott the Hoople records. Dylan i shall not understand/continue to ignore   till I feel.like  hearing him  if ever.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:12:03 PM by Alan2 » Logged
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 3143
Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS


Merry Hell have been


« Reply #168 on: Yesterday at 01:33:38 PM »




Tonight's R4   Archive Hour is entitled:

The Grateful Dead are More Important than the Beatles.

Some  folk will know I have no time for Beatles, so I can afford a little smile.


Stupid attention gathering headline but it's actually quite an interesting programme I think (or looks like it will be given a news article I was reading about it yesterday).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0032qmb

Here's the article (unpaywalled) https://archive.is/CB3sZ

Hopefully, one day, somebody will answer as to why so many (particularly American) Deadheads are right wing.  I suspect it's that RW/Utilitarian crossover point, but what do I know...

I literally don't know what to do with the "I have no time for the Beatles" bit.  It's utterly meaningless to me.  I bet a large percentage of the people whose music you have time for had an awful lot of time for the Beatles themselves?  


Thanks for the article- will definitely read later.

I don't understand America,  and its politics  are equally baffling to me. I have noted  reactionary tendencies  in elderly hippies in our own country and I can't work it out either.  Something to do with  extreme individualism  in outlook. There are libertarian s of the left  and I  think I might be one,  and there are libertarians of the right. I'll leave it there.

The Beatles thing has become my joke on here,  and I think I should stop.
I know what you mean about the influence- Ian Hunter- now there's a rocker I admire - said people who don't  understand Dylan don't understand rock.n roll.  He is entitled to say what he likes of course, I shall continue to enjoy  my Mott the Hoople records. Dylan i shall not understand/continue to ignore   till I feel.like  hearing him  if ever.
Hunter is the King of rock n roll.
Logged

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.208 seconds with 20 queries.