TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 16, 2024, 05:01:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport news from 1979  (Read 5569 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« on: July 16, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »

While going through a box in the attic looking for old concert programmes I came across some old editions of music papers including a copy of Melody Maker from November 1979. It cost all of 20p! The reason I kept it was that one of the cover stories was about Monty Python and their new film, Life of Brian. But on pages 54 and 55 there is a Folk section featuring some familiar names. I've scanned other sections about Swarb planning a club tour and Richard & Linda playing at the Newark Festival but they're too big to post here. I can upload them to my own web site if anyone's interested in having a look at them.

But here's what Fairport were up to...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »

Going to have to do this in 2 more parts for the Swarb story. Under the heading "Swarbrick plans club tour"...

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »

Cont...

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »

Farming, eh?  I wonder what he grew.... Lips Sealed  Cheesy

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »

Farming, eh?  I wonder what he grew.... Lips Sealed  Cheesy

Sheeps and chickens ?  Wink  Huh

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:06:49 AM »

While going through a box in the attic looking for old concert programmes I came across some old editions of music papers including a copy of Melody Maker from November 1979. It cost all of 20p! The reason I kept it was that one of the cover stories was about Monty Python and their new film, Life of Brian. But on pages 54 and 55 there is a Folk section featuring some familiar names. I've scanned other sections about Swarb planning a club tour and Richard & Linda playing at the Newark Festival but they're too big to post here. I can upload them to my own web site if anyone's interested in having a look at them.

Was the single ever released?
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:12:18 AM »

Was the single ever released?

Yup - http://www.musikfolk.co.uk/expletive-delighted/index.html  

It'd be nice if the chaps did it at Cropredy this year as a tribute to Mike. I can see it working well with the current line up.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:14:06 AM »

You beat me to it Ollie.

It was also included as a bonus track on the CD issue of the Farewell Farewell album.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 07:04:07 AM »

I think possibly the first time I ever heard any Fairport (other than Si Tu Dois Partir which charted when I was four years old, so probably didn't register much), was hearing this on Radio One's Newsbeat feature one evening while waiting in the car for my dad at Cannock bus station, with Richard Skinner talking to the band about the singles' release and maybe something about the band appearing at Knebworth with Led Zeppelin.At the time,I'd probably have been more interested in the Zep reference more than FC song which TBH, wouldn't have inspired me to check out more of the bands' back catalouge.However, this is only a vague memory and I may even have imagined the whole thing.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 07:31:25 AM »

It'd be nice if the chaps did it at Cropredy this year as a tribute to Mike. I can see it working well with the current line up.

Yep!  I know it's a 'silly' song, but I really like it, especially the original version....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: