TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:05:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honorary graduand: Richard Thompson OBE, Composer and Musician  (Read 10625 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 05:25:13 AM »

He's reported as being on fine form!

Unfortunately, a household emergency kept me away from Dartford. Bum.

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 07:36:21 AM »

R.T. OBE was in concert at The Orchard Theatre in Dartford last night. First time I've seen him in a theatre atmosphere, it was fantastic. Third song in and all the house lights came on. The fire alarm had been activated and we all had to stand outside in the car park...you've guessed it, it was pouring with rain!!

Once the concert resumed, like the professional he is, he continued with the 3rd verse of the song he was part way through.

To top it all he played a magnificant Vincent Black Lightning....very apt!

Dartford is home town to Mick Jagger so he played a medley of Stones songs too.  Smiley Smiley Sandy's 'Who knows where the time goes' was a tear jerker.

What a range of emotions he portrays through both his work and his guitar. I am converted!  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »

Dartford last night......I thought you might be there JJ, so looked out for you, but didn't see you anywhere!  I quite enjoyed the impromptu  'open air'  interval...bit damp though.  Never had that happen before, especially having to wait for the fire brigade to turn up, presumably just to press a button of some sort, before things were allowed to continue.

On stage...one man + one guitar = absolute magic!    An utterly undefinable equation.  The sounds created from that lone guitar, were just remarkable.  At certain points in the performance, if you weren't actually looking at the stage, it seemed as though at least three people were playing.   Then add in the RT's amazingly strong and (at times) rather strange voice = total brilliance! ...... Extremely glad we went  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: