TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:10:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Patrick Spens question (Simon!?)  (Read 17213 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 09:09:59 AM »

Last night I was listening to several Fairport versions of the song and thought "why was it not on L&L?". I was about to ask when I found this thread. I do like both versions (L&L and FH) but I do believe if they had really refined it with Sandy it would  have been great. I have also listened to the BBC version and this is better than the L & L one. Is it true that the L&L one is just a rehearsal version?

I still can't believe it was left off, it was surely only a gnat's away.  Agree about the BBC version.  It has more oomph.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »

probably because they knew it would sound better by the full house line up Roll Eyes

...except it doesn't.  Maybe it's because I heard the Sandy version first, but I much prefer the earlier versions.  Now I love Swarb, I'm a big fan of his vocals, but not many people could live up to Sandy's way with a song.

Jules

I'm the same. I was familiar with the L&L version some while before I bought Full House so the Sandy version still always feels like THE version to me.

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 09:09:11 PM »

I understand there are supposed to be mistakes on it but I love the live version on Farewell Farewell, it just has a marvellous energy to it and love the vocals.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »

Stupid thing to say (and I hope everyone knows I'm no sexist), but (and probably because of which version I heard first) it really doesn't sound right sung by a woman to me...  

I love the Full House version, and I also adore any version sung by the post-'76 4-piece as well.....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »

I was listening to the version with Sandy and suddenly felt a bit sad that she died so young and that there are just a couple of her albums and listening in that mood I appreciated it more. I wished I could relive that 1969 concert again and now knowing all the songs of L & L could tell what they played that night. I knew the songs of the first three albums but I don't think they played any from these.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »

Stupid thing to say (and I hope everyone knows I'm no sexist), but (and probably because of which version I heard first) it really doesn't sound right sung by a woman to me...  

Tommy rot!  You could say the same about The Deserter.  Sandy sings both superbly.

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »

You could say the same about The Deserter.

You could, but I didn't.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »

What I always thought would have been an even more interesting telling of it  would  be to have a voice for each part-a narrator part, the king, the bonny boy, Sir Patrick, and the mermaiden. The Fairport version is probably too quickly paced to have done that, but in the full ballad version, one could accomplish that quite nicely.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 10:40:30 PM »

I like both versions, but am a little confused by the lyrics in the FC versions..why does someone "prank" Sir Patrick by recommending him as a skilled sailor to the King; why doesn't the King know already that Sir Patrick has no nautical abilities?  I can't recall the lyrics of the recent version by Martin Simpson save that they made a lot more sense!

Thank Drunk I'm God
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 06:08:07 AM »

What I always thought would have been an even more interesting telling of it  would  be to have a voice for each part-a narrator part, the king, the bonny boy, Sir Patrick, and the mermaiden. The Fairport version is probably too quickly paced to have done that, but in the full ballad version, one could accomplish that quite nicely.

I always wanted to do that with Steeleye's Dark Eyed Sailor - the narrator, the sailor and the wife.

Jules

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »

Shouldn't Swarb be asked what he thinks about this question. We don't want any inaccuraacies do we?

DW Wink
trewin

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »

Did sandy ever sing this live when she returned to the band?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »

MY 14 year old son is currently putting together a Lego movie to go along with Sir Pat's adventures.  Is there a 'proud Father smiley' somewhere? Smiley

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »

Smiley That's really cool. Let us know when it is done.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: