TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:19:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Albion Band Beginner  (Read 128597 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »

Grin Grin

The thing that stunned & surprised and delighted me is the way the album seems to acknowledge the influence of L&L on the likes of Led Zeppelin & Jethro Tull, picks up their ball and throws it back at traditional song again.

I am completely bowled over. I don't know how I wasn't aware of this before. You certainly wouldn't guess at it from the later Albions albums that I have been exposed to.
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 10:12:43 PM »

When 'Rise Up...' was reviewed in music press (I think it was in Sounds), it was given 5 stars, and the headline read "You just can't give five stars to a folk album...".  At the end of the review it said "If you never buy another folk album in your life, do try and hear this one".  I've still got the cutting!

I've decided I don't do forums any more... see you elsewhere!
:-)
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 10:18:08 PM »

This is a terrific thread. I have so much catching up to do, as far as the Albion Band is concerned. I think it's going to be expensive. Tongue Undecided

That's not dirt, it's patination!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »

When 'Rise Up...' was reviewed in music press (I think it was in Sounds), it was given 5 stars, and the headline read "You just can't give five stars to a folk album...".  At the end of the review it said "If you never buy another folk album in your life, do try and hear this one".  I've still got the cutting!

But therein lies the problem with labelling music. Calling it a folk album probably put off as many people as the 5 stars attracted. There is as much rock on the record as there is folk. Or at least, there is bagloads of electricity and rhythm and it is the adventurous spirit with which it combines those elements that appeals to me so strongly.
DavidG

Loc: Bucks, UK

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 11:44:52 PM »

another definite would be 'Shuffle Off!'

Don't worry - not another recommendation! Just a note that 'Shuffle Off!' is available on CD as the second disc in the 2-CD 'Dancing days are here again' set by the Albion Dance Band - Talking Elephant TECD106. It's simply titled 'Studio recordings 1983' for some reason ...
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2008, 12:40:36 AM »

So, I got to listen to Battle Of The Field & Rise Up today for the first time while I was on the train to London. Quite enjoyed the former. Some good stuff on there but patchy. I need to listen to it again.

Have to agree re Battle..there is some good music on there but I find the "standard" folk accent vocals a little odd.  Reminds me of a review of the first Sandy Denny box set when it came out where the reviewed pointed out that Sandy was one of the first folk singers to avoid adopting the cod enunciation prevalent with much trad material, making the point that it (the accent) is as contrived as the standard yokel/Yorkshire accent used by the bit comedy roles in Shakespeare tragedies..

Thank Drunk I'm God
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2008, 07:42:27 AM »

Calling it a folk album probably put off as many people as the 5 stars attracted. There is as much rock on the record as there is folk. Or at least, there is bagloads of electricity and rhythm and it is the adventurous spirit with which it combines those elements that appeals to me so strongly.

Yes, the label probably did put off as many as the 5 stars attracted, unfortunately.  

During the 70s, most of my friends were absolutely not interested in that thing called 'folk' (I was seen as a bit weird for liking that stuff, I think), so I'd never have got them to listen to things like Rise Up Like the Sun (5 stars or not!).  However, every single non-folkie friend that I persuaded to come to the National Theatre to see The Mysteries (well, at the time it was just The Passion), was completely bowled over by the music.  On the (rather embarrassingly) numerous occasions that I went to see that production, I was always amused at the way you could almost see the shock on people's faces as the first bars of 'Uncle Bernard's' (which was originally always the opening number) hit them between the eyes/ears.  Anyway, after that, I was never short of people to accompany me to Albion gigs (well, until Tams/Taylor/Gregory etc left, anyway)!

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2008, 08:59:43 AM »

I don't know whether it has any bearing on the "Rise Up" debate, but Ashley Hutchings has admitted that because of his workload, this was John Tams as musical director rather than himself.  I presume that this has a major influence on the finished project.  I think Hutchings is a genius ..... but I think Tams is too!  Grin

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2008, 09:17:45 AM »

I don't know whether it has any bearing on the "Rise Up" debate, but Ashley Hutchings has admitted that because of his workload, this was John Tams as musical director rather than himself.  I presume that this has a major influence on the finished project.  I think Hutchings is a genius ..... but I think Tams is too!  Grin

I think JT's role in the theatre productions grew and grew over the years (i.e. from the original production of 'The Passion' through all the revivals).  Hutchings was certainly the musical director at the very, very beginning (early 1977).  

I agree... JT is a genius!

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2008, 09:19:15 AM »

I reckon it's the last great hurrah of English folk-rock.. It's folk, and it rocks, and to be frank 99% of what people talk of as 'folk-rock' made since, well, doesn't.

I have got to hear this album!!!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2008, 10:45:35 AM »

I reckon it's the last great hurrah of English folk-rock.. It's folk, and it rocks, and to be frank 99% of what people talk of as 'folk-rock' made since, well, doesn't.  IMHO, of course.

I'd go one album further, to the Home Service' "Alright Jack" but I think we're still on the same page.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »

I reckon it's the last great hurrah of English folk-rock.. It's folk, and it rocks, and to be frank 99% of what people talk of as 'folk-rock' made since, well, doesn't.

Jules

Well it had passed me by too until now but I am an instant convert. Not to diminish anybody else's contribution (particularly that of John Tams) but it is the sound of a lost Fairport line up comprising Hutchings, Nicol, Mattacks & Sanders. Simon brings his electric guitar to the party throughout. It is every bit as exciting to listen to as that promises.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2008, 11:39:24 AM »

I don't think there has ever been a band which was just a moniker for so many different groups (way more so than Fairport for whom this applies too). You just can't compare Albion Band albums. The music released under that name is incredibly varied. But it's odd if you'd set out and buy 2 Albion albums without prior knowledge - for instance, get Rise Up and Acousticity - and there's 2 different bands, 2 different forms of music, you may love one but hate another.
If you like Rise Up Like The Sun, you can see this as the centre album with various albums in its immediate orbit with much overlapping personnel - Prospect Before Us (Albion Dance Band), Home Service, The Mysteries and (especially) Alright Jack (Home Service), Son Of Morris On and Kickin' Up The Sawdust (Hutchings and company) and the other Albion Band albums Lark Rise To Candleford, BBC Radio One, BBC Sessions and Live At Cambridge plus various tracks scattered here and there on archive releases.

I would agree that this line up family made the last great innovative folkrock (not to say there weren't good albums released afterwards of course!). As far as the Albions are concerned, I find their 80s output disappointing overall, with absolute glimpses of greatness (most notably the non-Albion Hutchings album Gloucester Docks) - but then, I was never a fan of Cathy Lesurf and she's all over these albums. I had only been into the wider FC family for a few months when I read somewhere that Cathy had left the band and I was quite happy to hear that. And the next album was Give Me a Saddle I'll Trade You a Car which I liked very much, as with 1990 - with Phil Beer (co-)fronting. Great line up, but as with others it didn't last long. Then they took the U-turn and became an acoustic completely new line up with a series of albums (Acousticity I think is the best) before going electric again with a completely new line up. Of these albums it's Happy Accident I really like although not sounding very much as a unit - this because they were recording the album when Kellie While left and they got Gillie Nicholls in. Before Kellie returned again and years later the Albion Band stopped (but not for Christmas).
Geeze, Pete Frame should make a family tree of that.

Going back to Rise Up Like The Sun, I think that 70s folkrock heyday torch was given to Little Johnny England later on, a band which I think is bloody magnificent. Any of their 3 albums is great, Mercs And Cherokees probably the best. Such a pity they seem to be in limbo for years now - they've had a new line up for years (inc Trevor Foster, former Albion Band drummer, and Show Of Hands' Miranda Sykes) but they haven't recorded anything and their live performances are few and far between. So, that's high on my wish list - a LJE album, a new one. I assume I don't have to hold my breath for this one.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2008, 12:23:24 PM »

Jules

Well it had passed me by too until now but I am an instant convert. Not to diminish anybody else's contribution (particularly that of John Tams) but it is the sound of a lost Fairport line up comprising Hutchings, Nicol, Mattacks & Sanders. Simon brings his electric guitar to the party throughout. It is every bit as exciting to listen to as that promises.
Richard and Linda made significant contributions as well.
Did you get the "extended" version with the bonus tracks? Very nice version of Rainbow over the Hill.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2008, 12:30:33 PM »

Jules

Jules

Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2008, 01:51:33 PM »

Jules

Jules

Yes, you really should Grin

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2008, 03:05:19 PM »

OK, the albums to buy list is growing once again....

Hey I tell you what I'd really find useful.  Everyone to post their Top 10 Folk Rock albums, so I can see what I'm missing out on....

But that's a job for another thread methinks....

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »

Blimey! That'd be a challenge!

Start the thread Jules. I'll start scratching my head!
RichardH

Loc: London N19

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2008, 03:25:37 PM »

It may be going off topic in relation to the Fairport aspect of the Albions, but the John Tams present century trilogy of "Unity" "Home" and "The Reckoning" is magnificent and includes a lot of Graham Taylor.

And, in passing, Alright Jack, a response to Thatcherism really does have present day resonances, esp the Bullingdon-like toffs picture with the scarecrow!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2008, 05:18:06 PM »

Jules

Jules

Here's a taster - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCKBhmK95q4 Gresford Disaster

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: