TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 02, 2024, 10:23:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peggy's 60th birthday bash  (Read 127824 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2007, 07:41:08 PM »

Will you be there Goaty??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2007, 08:11:55 PM »

Chauffeur permitting Roll Eyes

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2007, 11:27:32 AM »

Anyone any idea what time the show might finish ?  Any particular recommendations for car parks ?  

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2007, 11:30:02 AM »

To everyone going to the celebration tonight,
Just to say have a safe journey and enjoy what is sure to be an excellent event Smiley Smiley

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2007, 11:37:41 AM »

Sorry to butt in here, but I'd just like to wish all who are going a BLEDDY MARVELLOUS TIME!  Wish I could go too, but stuff doesn't always work out the way one would like (if it did, one would be a right spoiled git!)

Reviews toute suite (if not sooner) please!! Smiley

Just my feelings too!

Enjoy & celebrate & post!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Scousertommy (Ian)
Talking a good game

Loc: Stockport

« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2007, 12:41:40 PM »

setting off early- just seen that the M6 is closed southbound
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2007, 03:26:48 PM »

And we're there too!   Quite a bit cheaper than the Crowne Plaza Smiley

And those in the Crowne Plaza might just have some very interesting company there too....

Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2007, 12:39:46 AM »

Well that was fun! Great show all around, despite some sound problems...

Methinks Tiny Tin Tull Lady Dancing had been on the drink!

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2007, 01:35:03 AM »

What a great show! Just got back from Brum to Chesterfield having managed to get three returned tickets by 'phone at 4pm today and just banging down in time.A mighty near three and a half hour set and whilst,as noted above,there were a few minor sound problems,given the astonishing array of performers and changeovers involved,these were really irrelevant.A super refurbished venue-a bit on the posh side perhaps but a superb auditorium with a fantastic ceiling and great lights.
I won't get everyone but after a hurdy-gurdy intro and a trawl thru Dave's early beat and blues groups,including Martin Barre, he was joined by first Swarb and then Ian Campbell,with Simon and Gerry.Swarb led on a brilliant,energetic  Hen's March thru the Midden/Four Poster Bed and seemed sprightly and full of fun throughout which was great to see. Gerry Donahue also played on this and generally played lots of superb Tele throughout. I've been listening to Close to The White Bear all week so great to hear these tunes! Roger Hill and a possibly tired Steve Gibbbons joined Dave for a rambling talking blues which ended up eating into the timescale as Gibbons totally stiffed and forgot his words-on several occasions-possibly prompted by his inability to get his guitar to work. Poor lad-you had to feel for him but everyone saw the funny side-well he was let back on later anyhow! Other guests in the first half included PJ who played some duo stuff and was generally on hand to help out,Maart who variously played bass and piano and AnnA Ryder.Current Fairport made an appearance with a spirited Wait For The Tide To Come In with a wicked solo from Ric. Ian Anderson,Martin Barre,Doanne Perry and Clive Bunker joined Peggy for the first half climax of Bouree and a not-too-quiet Locomotive Breath. Ian was in great voice both playing and singing and we even got some one-legged action!
The second half was astonishing in terms of music and performers-Steve Ashley,Steve Tilston,Beth Neilson-Chapman,who sang a sublime Solo and Dan Ar Bras,ditto with Rising For The Moon. Ralph McTell added to the who's who before Steve Gibbons led The Dylan Project into Like A Rolling Stone and nearly remembered most of the words this time! A great Best Wishes led by its author was the first encore followed by a nearly full cast(Mssrs Anderson and Barre were missing)Meet On The Ledge.
I've missed out LOADS of detail and songs but hope the above gives a feel.Peggy sure has a lot of friends! A once in-a-lifetime show and Cropredy included,one of the biggest family get-togethers for years,I would imagine.
Cheers Peggy. Happy birthday mate.

Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2007, 04:45:03 AM »

Thing review...
Grin

Sh it! It's time for breakfast Shocked alreadyRoll Eyes

« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 05:03:24 AM by Thing » Logged

Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2007, 07:41:14 AM »

What a great show! Just got back from Brum to Chesterfield having managed to get three returned tickets by 'phone at 4pm today and just banging down in time.A mighty near three and a half hour set and whilst,as noted above,there were a few minor sound problems,given the astonishing array of performers and changeovers involved,these were really irrelevant.A super refurbished venue-a bit on the posh side perhaps but a superb auditorium with a fantastic ceiling and great lights.
I won't get everyone but after a hurdy-gurdy intro and a trawl thru Dave's early beat and blues groups,including Martin Barre, he was joined by first Swarb and then Ian Campbell,with Simon and Gerry.Swarb led on a brilliant,energetic  Hen's March thru the Midden/Four Poster Bed and seemed sprightly and full of fun throughout which was great to see. Gerry Donahue also played on this and generally played lots of superb Tele throughout. I've been listening to Close to The White Bear all week so great to hear these tunes! Roger Hill and a possibly tired Steve Gibbbons joined Dave for a rambling talking blues which ended up eating into the timescale as Gibbons totally stiffed and forgot his words-on several occasions-possibly prompted by his inability to get his guitar to work. Poor lad-you had to feel for him but everyone saw the funny side-well he was let back on later anyhow! Other guests in the first half included PJ who played some duo stuff and was generally on hand to help out,Maart who variously played bass and piano and AnnA Ryder.Current Fairport made an appearance with a spirited Wait For The Tide To Come In with a wicked solo from Ric. Ian Anderson,Martin Barre,Doanne Perry and Clive Bunker joined Peggy for the first half climax of Bouree and a not-too-quiet Locomotive Breath. Ian was in great voice both playing and singing and we even got some one-legged action!
The second half was astonishing in terms of music and performers-Steve Ashley,Steve Tilston,Beth Neilson-Chapman,who sang a sublime Solo and Dan Ar Bras,ditto with Rising For The Moon. Ralph McTell added to the who's who before Steve Gibbons led The Dylan Project into Like A Rolling Stone and nearly remembered most of the words this time! A great Best Wishes led by its author was the first encore followed by a nearly full cast(Mssrs Anderson and Barre were missing)Meet On The Ledge.
I've missed out LOADS of detail and songs but hope the above gives a feel.Peggy sure has a lot of friends! A once in-a-lifetime show and Cropredy included,one of the biggest family get-togethers for years,I would imagine.
Cheers Peggy. Happy birthday mate.

Ian Campbell was great... Does he still perform?

I wondered why Tull were missing from "Meet on the Ledge"

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »

do you know if it was recorded?

The Dude abides
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2007, 08:42:53 AM »

Peggy told us last week that it was.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »

Glad you all had a great night. Can't wait for the CD/DVD release. Was Percy there?

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2007, 10:03:18 AM »

oh good, thanks

The Dude abides
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #175 on: November 04, 2007, 11:15:31 AM »

Pedant alert.

Recorded last week?

Was there several complicated dance routines which rendered the performers unable to sing?

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #176 on: November 04, 2007, 11:27:36 AM »

Percy wasn't there. But it was a good night. Highlights for me: McTell, The Hen March melody, DH opening the second half with a song written for Peggy and Beth Nielsen Chapman. Big grins in our seats. Happy Birthday DP.

Loving it
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #177 on: November 04, 2007, 01:51:30 PM »

Indeed - what a gig, what an after-show! Ian A had left by the time MOTL came around, and Martin B probably felt rather abandoned to do MOTL with him. Doane Perry also sat out MOTL I think.

Poor Steve G though - the best stiff I've seen in a long while, and generated plenty of guffaws. Cused the cutrting of one track in the second half - The Swirling Pit - that track had no guests assinged to it, being a straight FC number.

The was a single video camera set up by the sound desk, so whether a full DVD will be fdorthcoming is debatable, but yes, I think the intention maybe to release a CD of the event - but only if you all buy Peggy's box set first - there's a fair few left!

Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #178 on: November 04, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »

Forgot Dan Ar Bras. Rising For The Moon was just sublime.

Loving it
Scousertommy (Ian)
Talking a good game

Loc: Stockport

« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2007, 06:24:40 PM »

A cracking night. Hvaing got down to Brum rather late due to the M6 problems, booked into the hotel. Really enjoyed the gig. Comedy highlights for me :

The dancing to Tull behind the stage, Steve G's complete mindbender.

The downside :

the fire alarm going off at some god awful hour in the ETAP due to some drunken git. I sat up in bed so fast I hit my head on the bunk bed above me!

Not sure they followed the rules though, some little man running up and down shouting false alarm!!!!!!

Anyway. Rather excellent evening. Next stop Ralph McTell at the lowry - and I will be buying Tull tickets for the Lowry next year!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: