TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:48:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT on Later  (Read 9343 times)
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« on: November 09, 2007, 03:27:22 PM »

Tonight. Jools Holland. Richard Thompson.

Will Jools mention what a fab time he had at Cropredy?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 03:31:06 PM »

And also Crowded House so old acquaintences will be renewed. I have somewhere a great recording of RT playing with CH at, I think, the 100 Club in the early 90s. Much bonhomie.
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:20:57 PM »

Will definitely be recording - two of my favourite acts in one show. But what kind of a sub-genre is "mathrock"? The Observer TV guide refers to Battles, one of the other bands on Later, in such terms. Even my 13 year old cannot enlighten me!
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 07:26:54 PM »

Mathrock, via the good old Urban Dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mathrock

Sounds very interesting avtually Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 07:40:22 PM »

Mathrock, via the good old Urban Dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mathrock

Sounds very interesting avtually Cheesy

Sounds like good ol' fashioned Prog' to me  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ollythedolly
Grownup
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

One more time with feeling

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 09:28:03 AM »

did any one get a recording of it? We are still living in the last century and don't have sky+ or any other reliable source of recording - I set the video for it last night.....but it has recorded b*?!er all:(
Otherwise i will be waiting for a repeat!
Olly,

p.s.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/series30/episode02/# Just found this on the BBC site.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 02:21:09 PM »

I have a nice copy of the whole show capped straight of digital TV.

I may put the RT clip on Youtube at some point but until then, if you want a copy, drop me a PM.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 08:05:37 PM »

RT was excellent; Crowded House did what they do very well; and I was disappointed with Battles - having read much about them, I was expecting - well, I don't really know - but somehow they just didn't do it for me.

And the others were just there really.  Not impressed with Roisin Murphy or Angie Stone, I'm afraid, and Kurt the singer had a great voice, but again, I couldn't engage wth it.  Perhaps it was just me.  

Flobbadob!
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 03:35:34 PM »

Thanks for the definition of mathrock - think I will stick to englishrock! Some of the vocals in the Battles piece were eerily reminiscent of Pinky and Perky. As for Roisin Murphy, I can only assume she left the coat hanger in the first dress she wore in order to distract from the blandness of the song. And since I'm being horrible to everyone, I think Neil Finn's singing was terribly flat for the first two Crowded House numbers. However, it is still the best music show around, because, as Michael Stipe said to Jools Holland, it is one of the few where people get to play instead of lip-synching.  
rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 03:50:12 PM »

Thanks for the definition of mathrock - think I will stick to englishrock! Some of the vocals in the Battles piece were eerily reminiscent of Pinky and Perky. As for Roisin Murphy, I can only assume she left the coat hanger in the first dress she wore in order to distract from the blandness of the song. And since I'm being horrible to everyone, I think Neil Finn's singing was terribly flat for the first two Crowded House numbers.

Agree with all the above, thought the Battles 'piece' was never going to end and Neil Finn's vocals were weak as well as flat, RT and co were excellent though. What a line up they are, only problem is you don't know who to watch
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 03:57:51 PM »

Have watched the show a couple of times now - well OK watched it once and have listened to it via the BBC website since - and the whole show left me cold.

There is a Richard Thompson acoustic performance on The Later with... website which is more watchable than the programme itself although it is only three and half minutes long against an hour for the show.

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »

I'm sure its been raised before but what chance of Fairport appearing on Later at some point? I reckon the band's profile is as high as it's been for some years so now would be a good time.They'd have to play a "classic" to pander to the audience(Matty maybe,picking up on the L&L reissue vibe) and then a new tune-something a bit edgy.It'd be a heck of a lot better than Battles last week ,thats for sure! Where do we sign up to the campaign?!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 01:39:58 PM »

Thanks for the definition of mathrock - think I will stick to englishrock! Some of the vocals in the Battles piece were eerily reminiscent of Pinky and Perky. As for Roisin Murphy, I can only assume she left the coat hanger in the first dress she wore in order to distract from the blandness of the song. And since I'm being horrible to everyone, I think Neil Finn's singing was terribly flat for the first two Crowded House numbers.

Agree with all the above, thought the Battles 'piece' was never going to end and Neil Finn's vocals were weak as well as flat, RT and co were excellent though. What a line up they are, only problem is you don't know who to watch

Strange about Neil Finn. Have seen Crowded House live and this is not usually a problem. Quite the opposite in fact but the whole performance on Later was a bit lacklustre. I think he must have been ailing.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »

Maybe, just maybe, Jools and/or his producers might be able to persuade King Crimson to appear when they next reconvene (next year?)  Rumour has it that any gigs will be Stateside only...  Sad

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 03:12:45 PM »

Maybe, just maybe, Jools and/or his producers might be able to persuade King Crimson to appear when they next reconvene (next year?)  Rumour has it that any gigs will be Stateside only...  Sad

What?  With the cameras rolling?  Never...that would suck all the power out of the performance for sure  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 09:39:48 PM »

I'm sure its been raised before but what chance of Fairport appearing on Later at some point?

Zilch, I understand, as the producer ain't keen. & their word goes.

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 01:32:58 PM »

As long as the Old Goat (his own words btw) didn't KNOW the cameras were rolling...

Flobbadob!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: