TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:43:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Bargain Bin  (Read 135976 times)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #280 on: June 01, 2023, 07:56:54 AM »

Jethro Tull A - A La Mode.

3 CD, 3 DVD all set in a nice lavish book like the other sets.

£12.99 !

There are NEW copies available for around 15 quid all over the place at the moment.

Not one of the most regarded Tull albums, but with Peggy and Eddie Jobson together in the live concert footage, my Fairport and Zappa fetishes are satisfied.

If only the Passion Play set (only 2 CDs and 2DVDs) was that price, and not between £100 and £300!)

Well I never did..
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #281 on: June 01, 2023, 10:22:12 PM »

£12.99 !

There are NEW copies available for around 15 quid all over the place at the moment.

Not one of the most regarded Tull albums, but with Peggy and Eddie Jobson together in the live concert footage, my Fairport and Zappa fetishes are satisfied.

If only the Passion Play set (only 2 CDs and 2DVDs) was that price, and not between £100 and £300!)

You're supposed to tell us where you snatched your bargains, so others among us can benefit from your good fortune

The Dude abides
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #282 on: June 01, 2023, 10:37:10 PM »

£12.99 !

You're supposed to tell us where you snatched your bargains, so others among us can benefit from your good fortune

Sorry....I did say all over the place, but mine was on eBay..purchase not auction. I've seen them at around fifteen in other places too.

Well I never did..
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #283 on: June 21, 2023, 05:48:02 PM »

£1 charity shop purchase: "Music of The Good Hope" by No.47 - Chris Coe, Alan Dunn, Charlie Hart, John Tams, Clare Taylor, Graeme Taylor, Keith Thompson.

A 17' 22"  EP of 7 Tams pieces from the National Theatre production from 2001-2.

"Dedicated to all fishermen and their families".

Flobbadob!
PJayBe

« Reply #284 on: June 21, 2023, 06:12:57 PM »

£1 charity shop purchase: "Music of The Good Hope" by No.47 - Chris Coe, Alan Dunn, Charlie Hart, John Tams, Clare Taylor, Graeme Taylor, Keith Thompson.

A 17' 22"  EP of 7 Tams pieces from the National Theatre production from 2001-2.

"Dedicated to all fishermen and their families".

Got the CD version.  Truly great stuff.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #285 on: June 24, 2023, 02:56:53 PM »

Yep - it's a CD EP. Should have made that clear...

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2023, 04:09:52 PM »

What's the significance of the band name...do we know?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2023, 07:15:52 PM »

If anybody want a last (unless you're very lucky) chance to get something signed by Nic Jones, then...

https://twitter.com/penguineggs/status/1674084703488409600

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #288 on: July 18, 2023, 01:53:01 PM »

Bargain Prog magazine....6 issues for £9.99 from Sept (normally £14.50 for 2 issues) from Magazine Direct (it's on Page 3 of this list - lots of other cheap magazine there too - music and otherwise)

https://www.magazinesdirect.com/promotions/categories/summer23/?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20230718_XMD-X_MAR_ACQ_SUMMER_SALE_UK_E5_SALE_EXTENDED&utm_content=20230718_XMD-X_MAR_ACQ_SUMMER_SALE_UK_E5_SALE_EXTENDED&utm_term=6533181&m_i=40lm6iEuBgzZ8k%2B7Ln2d15KjLBfSZuJ1kAM5kzEj18MOkJyQwkubWt4KKJAnlgNr%2BA8A3FM%2B2G8S7U2lxOBuopqbDna5s_U44O&lrh=a7a2d9558639d06fbcb6febbc90638e69fcf566edcf4f61f2d001291b5c2e675&M_BT=21342236378041

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #289 on: July 28, 2023, 08:43:08 AM »

What's the significance of the band name...do we know?

The only tenuous link I spotted: "In 1847, the Band of Hope was founded in Leeds, with the stated aim of saving working class children from the perils of drink".  Sounds like the sort of thing Tam would be well aware of.

Meanwhile, I picked up recently: "White Noise - An Electric Storm" (2007 remaster) and "Johnny Boy Would Love This - A Tribute To John Martyn" (2011 2CD set) - £4.99 each

Flobbadob!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #290 on: July 28, 2023, 09:52:49 AM »

The White Noise album, being a collaboration between Delia Derbyshire, David Vorhaus and Brian Hodgson, was highly innovative and still sounds very modern, in some ways. Absolutely love "Here Come The Fleas"!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2023, 11:15:51 AM »

The White Noise album, being a collaboration between Delia Derbyshire, David Vorhaus and Brian Hodgson, was highly innovative and still sounds very modern, in some ways. Absolutely love "Here Come The Fleas"!

I have a CD of  (The)  White Noise  : An Electric Storm  which i picked up at a record fair some years ago.  Never been able to get into it, even though it's regarded as an important recording.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2023, 07:48:45 AM »

Rough Trade online has a limited number of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass boxed sets. Just ordered the 6 CD box for less than £50,incl p&p.

Flobbadob!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2023, 09:42:13 PM »

I’m on Operation Downsizing so won’t be buying any new boxsets & might even get rid of a few…

Well, that’s the idea   Undecided

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2023, 10:42:59 PM »

Rough Trade online has a limited number of George Harrison's All Things Must Pass boxed sets. Just ordered the 6 CD box for less than £50,incl p&p.

George wasn't always best served by his producers in my opinion, despite the praise heaped on ATMP. Some of the songs for me were lost in the big sound that Spector loved so this set with many demos looks wonderful. The fragile voice, fab guitar playing, is where I think George really shone.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #295 on: August 09, 2023, 06:28:32 PM »

George wasn't always best served by his producers in my opinion, despite the praise heaped on ATMP. Some of the songs for me were lost in the big sound that Spector loved so this set with many demos looks wonderful. The fragile voice, fab guitar playing, is where I think George really shone.

Haven't managed to listen to it yet - too busy preparing for Cropredy! - but while out buying last-minute provisions this afternoon, the charity shop next door to the Co-Op had Joanna Newsom's "Have One On Me" 3CD set for 50p. I've never knowingly heard anything by JN, so whatever she sounds like, it'll be a surprise.  I must remember to put ATMP at the top of the pile if I buy any media at the festival....

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2023, 05:05:04 PM »

There have been a few ludicrous FC related bargains on eBay recently, but I think this takes the biscuit...I'm annoyed at myself for not going in for that one!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354985714350

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #297 on: September 08, 2023, 12:30:22 PM »

Realised to my horror that we are going to Cornwall in the van for a couple of weeks and, with the nights drawing in, and needing our TV and DVD, and there will be an unnecessary amount of egg chasing for the grossly overweight on our screens. No problem 6 DVDs for a quid in total from a charity shop.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #298 on: September 08, 2023, 09:34:13 PM »

Sain 50 3CD set for a quid. A selection of tracks from the Welsh label.

Flobbadob!
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #299 on: September 08, 2023, 10:22:25 PM »

Realised to my horror that we are going to Cornwall in the van for a couple of weeks and, with the nights drawing in, and needing our TV and DVD, and there will be an unnecessary amount of egg chasing for the grossly overweight on our screens. No problem 6 DVDs for a quid in total from a charity shop.

Alongside basic Freeview TV, DVDs are actually still my viewing media of choice, recently slimmed down using paper storage sleeves.

It does however come as a bit of a shock, knowing how much I have spent over the decades on DVDs, and then realising just how little they are actually worth now! Grin
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: