TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:11:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Bargain Bin  (Read 135852 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #260 on: December 22, 2022, 11:36:14 AM »

A pristine as new copy of the Steve Tilston Free Reed box set...£15 off Discogs.

Talking of which, are Free Reed still in existence?  Because if they are and the prices on their website are correct...then new copies of the box sets through them are mostly all cheap as chips..

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #261 on: December 22, 2022, 03:14:39 PM »

A pristine as new copy of the Steve Tilston Free Reed box set...£15 off Discogs.

Talking of which, are Free Reed still in existence?  Because if they are and the prices on their website are correct...then new copies of the box sets through them are mostly all cheap as chips..

The company was voluntarily struck off in 2016. It looks as if they are trading as an unincorporated business from a private house in Belper, Derbyshire.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #262 on: December 22, 2022, 03:20:28 PM »

The company was voluntarily struck off in 2016. It looks as if they are trading as an unincorporated business from a private house in Belper, Derbyshire.

Hmmm...interesting.  Thanks.  I've dropped them an email...will see if I get a reply.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #263 on: December 22, 2022, 08:55:51 PM »

Someone from an RT forum said the owner had retired and once remaining stock was sold, that was it. Worth an email to see if what you want is available  I guess.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #264 on: December 23, 2022, 07:32:21 AM »

Johnny Cash - Legend - 4 CD set - vgc - £5 from our local Games Exchange - normally, of course, I wouldn't go in, but...  Wink

All the CBS hits, so cracking value.

I already have the Rick Rubin "American" albums, but, having looked at reviews of the Legend set, I spotted there's another set of mainly unreleased tracks from those later sessions - "Unearthed" - and I've managed to find a copy in near mint condition for £35.

That's probably all the Cash albums I'll ever want.....

Flobbadob!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #265 on: December 27, 2022, 08:47:20 PM »

One of my favorite albums is Blood on the Tracks. Ryan Adams has recorded the whole album and it's free to download from his website ditto Nebraska.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #266 on: January 02, 2023, 12:04:33 PM »

One of my favorite albums is Blood on the Tracks. Ryan Adams has recorded the whole album and it's free to download from his website ditto Nebraska.

I can see Nebraska...can't see BotT?

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #267 on: January 02, 2023, 12:26:41 PM »

I know, it took me ages but my mate had found it after I told him so I persisted! In the end I googled Ryan Adams Blood on the Tracks and looked at articles about it. One had a link to it on his website . I still cant understand why because all the others were on the same page.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #268 on: January 02, 2023, 12:36:19 PM »

I know, it took me ages but my mate had found it after I told him so I persisted! In the end I googled Ryan Adams Blood on the Tracks and looked at articles about it. One had a link to it on his website . I still cant understand why because all the others were on the same page.
Its via the Music Radar site

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #269 on: January 02, 2023, 02:06:44 PM »

Thanks.  Here's the link for anybody interested https://paxam.shop/products/blood-on-the-tracks

My conclusion, for what it's worth, is that this is by quite some margin the very worst version of Tangled Up in Blue I've ever heard (and I speak as someone who has been a long time fan of Ryan).  I'm not entirely sure I'll get any further!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:21:20 PM by davidmjs » Logged

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #270 on: January 03, 2023, 02:08:30 PM »

Thanks.  Here's the link for anybody interested https://paxam.shop/products/blood-on-the-tracks

My conclusion, for what it's worth, is that this is by quite some margin the very worst version of Tangled Up in Blue I've ever heard (and I speak as someone who has been a long time fan of Ryan).  I'm not entirely sure I'll get any further!

You may want to re-visit this some of the tracks towards the end are jolly good particularly the extended acoustic jams.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2023, 04:24:36 PM »

You may want to re-visit this some of the tracks towards the end are jolly good particularly the extended acoustic jams.

Nebraska on the other hand is pants.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2023, 09:11:03 PM »

Any Dylan heads want the Fragments 5CD box from Amazon UK, you could pay the £106.48 that they're asking...or you *could* buy it from Amazon US and get it for a total of £41.48 delivered.  God knows what that will be after charges but it's still got to be cheaper, surely... https://www.amazon.com/Fragments-Time-Sessions-1996-1997-Bootleg/dp/B0BKR6V1ZV?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&linkCode=sl1&tag=superdeluxeed-20&linkId=55ab341378ab3538956921a512610ecc&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #273 on: April 01, 2023, 09:10:14 AM »

erm, not sure if this really IS a bargain, but...

I bought a tombola ticket at a recent event (50p), which turned out to be a winner - a limited choice of prizes left -  mostly cosmetics and the like, but there was a bottle of coconut liqueur, and a wrapped box of approx CD size marked "mystery music".  So I chose the latter...

On removing the wrapping paper, I discovered a sealed white box bearing the legend STUMM433...

It's a 5CD set of artists on or associated with the Mute label recording their interpretations of John Cage's 4'33" - at a stroke becoming the most bizarre inclusion in my collection.  Hours of (not quite) silence.

But, is it music? It's sound, maybe even noise...  [to quote the Floyd's groovy Pict "'ere, that's pretty avant-garde, isn't it?"]

Flobbadob!
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #274 on: April 01, 2023, 10:24:44 AM »

I bought a tombola ticket at a recent event (50p), which turned out to be a winner - a limited choice of prizes left -  mostly cosmetics and the like, but there was a bottle of coconut liqueur, and a wrapped box of approx CD size marked "mystery music".  So I chose the latter...

On removing the wrapping paper, I discovered a sealed white box bearing the legend STUMM433...

It's a 5CD set of artists on or associated with the Mute label recording their interpretations of John Cage's 4'33" - at a stroke becoming the most bizarre inclusion in my collection.  Hours of (not quite) silence.

But, is it music? It's sound, maybe even noise...  [to quote the Floyd's groovy Pict "'ere, that's pretty avant-garde, isn't it?"]

Ha Ha!..Now that could easily turn out to be bargain of the year! Smiley

Just a little bit of dedicated listening & patience now required... Grin
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #275 on: April 01, 2023, 10:38:57 AM »

It's a 5CD set of artists on or associated with the Mute label recording their interpretations of John Cage's 4'33" - at a stroke becoming the most bizarre inclusion in my collection.  Hours of (not quite) silence,

Haha. That's inspired!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #276 on: April 01, 2023, 10:42:09 AM »

April Fool

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2023, 05:02:28 PM »

Nope, tis true...

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #278 on: April 13, 2023, 09:45:25 PM »

Frank Zappa - the "Orchestral Favorites" 40th anniversary 3CD set for £10 at HMV.  Usually c.£30

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #279 on: April 14, 2023, 10:10:07 AM »

Christy Moore - The Early Years 1969-81[i/]. 2 CDs and a DVD for £5.99 from HMV

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)