TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:57:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011  (Read 80055 times)
fleetwood
n3wb

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »

Very disappointed that there is no Dumfries show, the last two years at the Theatre Royal have been great shows. Very very few band venture up to SW Scotland or even up to Carlisle. Looks like it will have to be a long drive down to Morecombe.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 11:08:29 AM »

Very disappointed that there is no Dumfries show, the last two years at the Theatre Royal have been great shows. Very very few band venture up to SW Scotland or even up to Carlisle. Looks like it will have to be a long drive down to Morecombe.

It's a shame the quaint Dumfries Theatre Royal wont get a visit on the Wintour in 2011. Without the hard work and dedication of the folk who run the theatre, who are all volunteers, it's unlikely there would be a Theatre Royal in Dumfries.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2010, 11:16:22 AM »

That's a pity, Phil.

You could always start swimming to the Isle of Man....? Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
fleetwood
n3wb

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2010, 06:50:04 PM »

Thanks Dave, I knew I could rely on you to come up with a solution.

Martin is right though, the Theatre Royal is a lovely old, and in March very cold theatre, run by volunteers, shame the boys won't be playing there again next year.

How about a short spring tour, Kendal, Carlisle, Dumfries.  Wink
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2010, 07:07:09 PM »

Thanks Dave, I knew I could rely on you to come up with a solution.

Martin is right though, the Theatre Royal is a lovely old, and in March very cold theatre, run by volunteers, shame the boys won't be playing there again next year.

How about a short spring tour, Kendal, Carlisle, Dumfries.  Wink

Remember there's still a chance with the May 'acoustic' tour as well....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2010, 07:26:59 PM »

It's certainly possible the Dumfries Theatre Royal could appear more attractive and affordable to FC when they come to book the acoustic tour, Dumfries in May will also be warmer,.............................................won't it ?.  Roll Eyes
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »

Just booked front row seats for Crosby Civic Hall 3rd Feb 2011. Seems like a long time off at the moment.
Alan Ewart

Loc: Broadstone

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »

Rhetorical question!

Wht does noone I want to see ever seem to come to Bournemouth or poole anymore?
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2010, 03:03:55 PM »

Do they all go to Southampton? Better road links?
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »

Do they all go to Southampton? Better road links?

Not this year Peter :S
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2010, 03:08:39 PM »

The easy answer Alan, is because there isn't an audience, also finding the right size venue is a problem.
Another major issue is the parking restrictions and prices adopted in Bournemouth around the main venues like the Pavilion and the BIC. Poole has similar problems where the local council enforces ridiculous car parking charges, even in the winter months when the town is almost deserted. The Bournemouth Pavilion and BIC are both sadly too big for most folk acts, Mr Kyps is ok for small gigs not really suitable for audiences over 200. The Opera House in Southbourne is a nice venue but seems more interested in promoting club nights than putting on gigs, easier I suppose.
There is a folk club in Bournemouth http://www.bournemouthfolkclub.com/ They occasionally put on larger gigs at the Hub in Verwood where Ralph McTell is scheduled to appear later this year.
Wimborne also has a healthy folk music scene, check out Wessex Acoustic http://wimborne-acoustic.co.uk/  They have FC booked for May next year, so it's not all doom and gloom.
Alan Ewart

Loc: Broadstone

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2010, 03:17:35 PM »

The easy answer Alan, is because there isn't an audience, also finding the right size venue is a problem.
Another major issue is the parking restrictions and prices adopted in Bournemouth around the main venues like the Pavilion and the BIC. Poole has similar problems where the local council enforces ridiculous car parking charges, even in the winter months when the town is almost deserted. The Bournemouth Pavilion and BIC are both sadly too big for most folk acts, Mr Kyps is ok for small gigs not really suitable for audiences over 200. The Opera House in Southbourne is a nice venue but seems more interested in promoting club nights than putting on gigs, easier I suppose.
There is a folk club in Bournemouth http://www.bournemouthfolkclub.com/ They occasionally put on larger gigs at the Hub in Verwood where Ralph McTell is scheduled to appear later this year.
Wimborne also has a healthy folk music scene, check out Wessex Acoustic http://wimborne-acoustic.co.uk/  They have FC booked for May next year, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Martin, tell me about it!! Lol.  It is a nightmare.  The lighthouse at Poole has a nice small theatre where I have seen some very good jazz bands etc over the years but it probably only holds 200 at a push.  I knew about the folk club and will check out the wimborne acoustic, thanks for that one.

I know 3 daft monkeys are doing kyps in October and i have seen Jackie leven there a few times.  Thanks for the leads
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »

Loughborough on March 1st then.

Shame there isn't a date right in Leicester but Loughborough I guess is near enough (but not for driving!)).  I used to go to that venue years ago to see the "Old style" Level 42 when they were still mainly instrumental!!  Fez

The only place in Leicester that's really an option is the Y Theatre (I don't count the impending joy that is the O2 arena), where I think they've played before but not sure when.  Probably too small for the full tour though at 350 standing, 200-250 seated, but might be ok for the acoustic?

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »

I love that venue.Saw Sam Brown there a few years ago.Only problem was finding a way off the ring road to the centre took three attempts, but was worth it.

Well I never did..
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »

I was there when FC played that venue.. sitting above them I couldn't see Ric!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »

Compact and Bijou, Mostin,Compact and Bijou.

Well I never did..
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2010, 11:55:22 PM »

Loughborough on March 1st then.

Shame there isn't a date right in Leicester but Loughborough I guess is near enough (but not for driving!)).  I used to go to that venue years ago to see the "Old style" Level 42 when they were still mainly instrumental!!  Fez

The only place in Leicester that's really an option is the Y Theatre (I don't count the impending joy that is the O2 arena), where I think they've played before but not sure when.  Probably too small for the full tour though at 350 standing, 200-250 seated, but might be ok for the acoustic?

Last time i saw fairports in leics ,i guess 7/8 yrs ago, was at the Octagon theatre in market harborough, attached to Welland Park School. Interesting venue can be seated or all standing, saw Lau here this yr.Possibly Fairports were in the school hall and not the Octagon........  it's all gone very vague.........it's fading....it's fading.....
How silly would de Montfort Hall be? Wide catchment, Would be interesting to see if fairports can fill it. Steeleye were filling theatres that sort of size, eg Brum town hall last yr.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »

Johnny, Ewen, fancy a joint raiding party to this one?

Tempting, could get the train there and share a taxi back to Lessduh.

Ewen,happy to give you a lift back as i think Sheen and i will be there. I like the venue from when they used to do the folk fest.
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2010, 09:55:55 AM »

Cheers Hendo, there's likely to be more of us than will fit in a car, people carrier taxi needed.

I saw FC play the DeMontfort in, err, 1999(ish), I don't think it was a sell out but there were a lot of people there.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2010, 11:24:57 AM »

I'll probably drive to this one, so I could take a further three people.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: