TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:42:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Althea From Prison Along The Pilgrim's Way  (Read 4481 times)
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« on: August 24, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »

I've finally purchased a copy of Nine and so have heard Althea for the first time. When I first heard this, I thought the track had been mislabeled and what was actually going to be played was Along The Pilgrim's Way,  which appeared on the Albion Band's Demi-Paradise album. It wasn't till Swarb started singing that the Althea separated itself from Pilgrim.

So what's the story, were both songs based on a traditional tune? If so, what was it?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:03:53 PM »

Bob,

To Althea was originally a poem by Richard Lovelace for which Swarb composed the tune heard on Nine - whether he based any of it on a trad tune I don't know.

I haven't heard "Along" - as far as I remember - but seems like I'd better check it out...

Flobbadob!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »

Blimey, it is very similar isn't it. I've just taken a listen. The writing credit on Along The Pilgrim's Way is Ashley Hutchings so it is a bit of a mystery.
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »

On the recording Swarb missed out one Lovelace verse which was decidedly Royalist - does this out him as a Cromwellian?

(I deliberately didn't type "Puritan" because that would be somewhat improbable) Grin

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:15:28 PM »

On the recording Swarb missed out one Lovelace verse which was decidedly Royalist

For those who are unfamiliar: Richard Lovelace was one of the Cavalier Poets who was imprisoned for speaking out against Parliament and while he was there he wrote this poem.  However, it is usually interpreted as a more general comment on liberty.  Some good information here:

http://www.cummingsstudyguides.net/Guides3/Althea.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:31:34 PM by Katys Mum (Janet) » Logged
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »

Mmmmm the Fairport that performed the Liege & Lief stuff at the Barbican was really an Albion Band Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: