TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:29:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To buyor not to buy ........the reisued L & L  (Read 5625 times)
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« on: August 26, 2007, 11:43:02 PM »

Y'know I had looked forward to this reissue for quite a while.

And then went to HMV, had a good look at the packaging and the track listing etc...............and decided not to buy it.

I have it on vinyl, on cassette and on CD already, and it stands as it was - a great complete album - I can't really see why I'd want out takes and other bits, or indeed a second CD in addition to the original album at all, and having thought that, reckoned there was no real point in forkin out for it...it was not a decision based on the cost, by the way.

want to argue I was wrong???...........convince me.................

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:45:56 PM »

I have just bought the previous reissue which is a massive improvement over the original CD release in terms of sound quality. Not sure which version you have but it might be worth it for that if you only have the pressing from the late 80s. Like you though, I couldn't see much to entice me further with this latest revamp, especially if you already have the BBC Sessions box set.
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »

want to argue I was wrong???...........convince me.................

No, I think you were right. A friend bought the latest version and I had a look at it. Here's what you get for your money:

One unreleased track (not listed on the back cover!): 2' 21", unremarkable run-through of "Fly Me to the Moon". Mattacks (piano), Nicol (drums?), Hutchings (bass). Not sure anyone else is on there.

Nice selection of Eric Hayes photos from Farley Chamberlayne.

Reproduction of the Rolling Stone cover with Sandy making the tea.

Solid essay by David Suff on history of the album. No new revelations (to this reader anyway).

The whole thing smacks of opportunism to me (tie-in with Fairport's 40th, L&L at Cropredy) and over-hasty preparation. The sources of bonus tracks are not identified, and a new error is introduced. Against the two versions of "Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" it says (p19): "produced by Trevor Lucas with strings arranged by Harry Robinson". In 1969? I don't think so.

I'd stick with the 2002 reissue. Anyone who cares about FC, Sandy etc, will want to collect the other albums on which the bonus tracks have already appeared.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:20:21 AM »

The whole thing smacks of opportunism to me (tie-in with Fairport's 40th, L&L at Cropredy) and over-hasty preparation. The sources of bonus tracks are not identified, and a new error is introduced. Against the two versions of "Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" it says (p19): "produced by Trevor Lucas with strings arranged by Harry Robinson". In 1969? I don't think so.

What are you saying is the error here?  The Harry Robinson bit or the Trevor Lucas bit?  I don't know anything about Harry Robinson, so assume that...cos the Trevor Lucas bit is right.

One man's opportunism is another's good business sense.  I don't need this reissue, but if other people buy it for the first time, then that's great as far as I'm concerned...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 01:58:27 PM »

What are you saying is the error here?  The Harry Robinson bit or the Trevor Lucas bit?  I don't know anything about Harry Robinson, so assume that...cos the Trevor Lucas bit is right.

I'm happy to stand corrected by a FolkCorp guru, but what's your source, please? Take 4 previously appeared on the first Sandy Denny boxset, "compiled and produced by Trevor Lucas and Joe Boyd". Credited musicians are Denny/Thompson/Swarbrick/Mattacks. The track is "produced by Joe Boyd". Take 1 previously appeared on the 2002 reissue. No mention of Trevor as producer there either. I don't hear any added strings on either version.  

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 02:08:27 PM »

I'm happy to stand corrected by a FolkCorp guru, but what's your source, please? Take 4 previously appeared on the first Sandy Denny boxset, "compiled and produced by Trevor Lucas and Joe Boyd". Credited musicians are Denny/Thompson/Swarbrick/Mattacks. "Produced by Joe Boyd". Take 1 previously appeared on the 2002 reissue. No mention of Trevor as producer there either. I don't hear any added strings on either version.  

Hmmmmm.  I'll probably make a tactical withdrawal.......and let others more knowledgeable than I fight it out.  The answer to your question is, I can't actually remember - but I think from the Sandy box.... Hmmmm again...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »

Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" it says (p19): "produced by Trevor Lucas with strings arranged by Harry Robinson". In 1969? I don't think so.

That credit must be wrong but it probably comes from a cursory glance at the credits for the 1972 'Sandy' album on which 'Quiet Joys of Brotherhood' appeared.  That album was indeed produced by Trevor & I beilieve Harry Robinson did some arrangements but not for Quiet Joys of Brotherhood where the only 'strings' to be heard come courtesy of Swarb's magnificent fiddle solo.

In any case the version of 'Quiet Joys' released then is a vastly different beast from the L&L outtakes which first surfaced on the Sandy box-set 'Who Knows Where the Time Goes' & then on the last edition of L&L.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 11:44:34 AM »

I'm happy to stand corrected by a FolkCorp guru...

As a general note, the classifications given to members of Talkawhile reflect their propensity to post.

There is no guarentee of any connection between verbosity and wisdom  Wink

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 12:22:36 PM »

bought it,having 4 other copies of it,it seemed rude not to
but theres not really a lot to buy it for,fly me to the moon apart