TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:25:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too Much Of A Good Thing?  (Read 6816 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: April 17, 2007, 10:52:48 PM »

I too have had the pre order email from Amazon regarding On The Ledge, mentioned elsewhere. Does anyone think there are now too many live albums emerging taken from a relatively short and recent span of the band's career. Some seem to be much of a muchness. There is a lot of 74/75 era live stuff too (notwithstanding the fact that Before The Moon is seriously GREAT!)

Or perhaps that there is too much product appearing in too quick succession, sales of which are likely to undermine each other? Already this year we've had SoO, Live At The BBC, three reissued Island/Vertigo studio albums, On The Ledge & some Woodworm era re-releases. Something similar happened with RT through late 05/early 06.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:56:20 PM »

I know...it's really annoying. Don't have enough money to buy them, and then I feel like I'm missing something when you lot are talking about them on here Sad But i am DEFINATELY getting a Box of Peggs, even if it's the last thing I do!!!!

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 11:11:26 PM »

Hmmm, not sure about the need for lots of live albums. I can sort of understand completists, in a train-spotterish kind of way, but for me, unless it's something really different or exceptional quality then I'm more than happy to pass. My former Director had about 30 live U2 bootlegs on his iPod, and he couldn't really say why.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 11:12:05 PM »

But i am DEFINATELY getting a Box of Peggs, even if it's the last thing I do!!!!

Well, I hope it is not Ollie. Because still to come this year are the new RT studio album, Richard & Linda Live in 1975, Linda's new album and Excalibur II live CD & DVD to name but a few! (Actually I forgot about Excalibur II, that came out this year too!  Roll Eyes)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 11:13:59 PM »

But i am DEFINATELY getting a Box of Peggs, even if it's the last thing I do!!!!

Well, I hope it is not Ollie. Because still to come this year are the new RT studio album, Richard & Linda Live in 1975, Linda's new album and Excalibur II live CD & DVD to name but a few! (Actually I forgot about Excalibur II, that came out this year too!  Roll Eyes)

I don't know much about the various Excalibur projects. Are they worth listening too?

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 11:20:47 PM »

I like them. The new one is very good. A lot of the first one is in French but the live album/DVD & Excalibur II feature Fairport as the backing band throughout and as main performers on a couple of tracks. Excalibur II also features Maddy Prior, Jackie McShee, Martin Barre & Justin Hayward amongst others.

We are drifting off topic...!
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 01:19:25 AM »

Drifting ... I liked Excalibur II even more than I.

Back on topic: I suppose there is a degree of jumping on the bandwagon / getting it while the goings good on the part of the labels. Bad news for poor completists, probably good news for average buyers (more choice) and the artists (publicity, royalties). I think I prefer this situation to one alternative of close to nothing being available. Other than Peggy in a box, I'll probably have to restrain myself to just the new releases.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 01:10:54 PM »

Blimey! - and then there's Fotheringay 2 due in the autumn.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »

I haven´t seen tha tracklisting for OTL, which I take is a reissue of the 2002 gig with the undertitle "Another Gig;Another Palindrome..." but my feeling is that the bulk of songs on these live albums seems to be old favourites and seldom rarely played songs. So it´s more of the same for the completists, but - as has been pointed out- nice for newcomers to the band who get to know what the band sounded like not too long ago. Even though they on this album went through their musical history to a large extent.
I´m not quite sure of my opinion though with all other Fairport-related -goodies flooding the 2007 market (well....), I think I´ll hold my horses for a while....
I´m picking up the box on Friday so I have CD:s to spin....
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 04:37:03 PM »

I think OTL will be the XXXV DVD audio  Huh

Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:04:34 PM »

I think it is great to have so many choices. I just picked up woodworm archive 1 (1975) and a Fotheringay boot. It is so fun to hear variations and how songs evolve. I would like to see more releases. Not everything has to sell millions to be successful. I would like to see a Tippler's era cd with Yee Mariners all, a 1996 Maart era set with Spanish Main, a 1971 era with Lord Marlborough (Simon is underated in this era, he is playing great, even if his voice hasn't matured yet)  Of cource Fotheringay 2 sounds exciting. I can't wait for a boxful of Pegg, but I wonder what will be on it. I think the more the better, so no I don't think it is too much of a good thing.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Nic O
Grandad takes a trip

Loc: North Wales

Propaganda, all is phoney

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 08:36:02 PM »

I think it is great to have so many choices. I just picked up woodworm archive 1 (1975) and a Fotheringay boot. It is so fun to hear variations and how songs evolve. I would like to see more releases. Not everything has to sell millions to be successful. I would like to see a Tippler's era cd with Yee Mariners all, a 1996 Maart era set with Spanish Main, a 1971 era with Lord Marlborough (Simon is underated in this era, he is playing great, even if his voice hasn't matured yet)  Of cource Fotheringay 2 sounds exciting. I can't wait for a boxful of Pegg, but I wonder what will be on it. I think the more the better, so no I don't think it is too much of a good thing.

Greedy, greedy, greedy!!!!

Seriously I agree 100%. Have a massive collection of live Dylan (too much maybe) but it not only gives you options for listening and enjoyment, but also you discover so many hidden secrets.
Have been listening to a lot of love FP recently from the 1983-1997 period and is is wonderful to hear the progression and sheer joy of the music over this time.

Through the mad mystic hammering of the wild ripping hail
The sky cracked its poems in naked wonder
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »

I think OTL will be the XXXV DVD audio  Huh

THat's the one, Olly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print