TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:55:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tipplers Tales/Bonny Bunch  (Read 19113 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 01:52:57 PM »

Many thanks for enlightening me - I certainly wasn't expecting anyone involved in CDO to be a poster on this forum!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »

but as I understand it out of the thousands of discs produced so far there have been almost no returns for reasons of quality.

Steve

I don't know why, but this made me laugh. So, just to clarify, there have been some returns for reasons of quality then...  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 02:36:39 PM »

Many thanks for enlightening me - I certainly wasn't expecting anyone involved in CDO to be a poster on this forum!

Jules
The whole world is here mate, you would suprised at what level of strange and mysterious beasts hang around this corner of th'interweb!  Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
steve c

Loc: Surrey UK

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 08:37:41 PM »

"I don't know why, but this made me laugh. So, just to clarify, there have been some returns for reasons of quality then"

Sorry I haven't yet figured out the quote box.

In regard to returns the rate is less than so called normally produced Cd's which by the way we also retail  Lips Sealed sorry no plug meant here

The important bit is the music and the fact that it is available again.

Steve

it is only music it will not harm you
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 10:03:20 AM »

Technically speaking, all music CD's are CDR's. What do you consider dodgy? As long as the artist gets their dues...

As to waht you buy, well, it's your money and you choose to buy what you want. Like the 30-minute "Ooh La-La" album I once bought from the Faces.

CDRs and "normal" CDs are different - normal CDs are pressed, whereas a CDO is burnt using a CDR with a layer of dye.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 10:44:50 AM »

So, to summarise, CDR's and CDO are the same, so-called traditional CD's are different.

But there's no appreciable differnce in terms of returns / quality / longevity acoording to the manufacturer.

Is that right?

By the way, every CD I buy is immediately backed up in lossless format on my server. This, after long experience of CD's going missing, being eaten by the hippos etc. So I have insurance against their theft by my kids, faults developing, etc. And yes my server is backed up.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 10:53:30 AM »

So, to summarise, CDR's and CDO are the same, so-called traditional CD's are different.

. This, after long experience of CD's going missing, being eaten by the hippos etc.

can i suggest robert Johnsons 32/20 blues, .............................blow her half in two!!
that should deal with the hippos
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 09:30:16 AM »

CDRs and "normal" CDs are different - normal CDs are pressed, whereas a CDO is burnt using a CDR with a layer of dye.

Are you sure? LPs were pressed, I can't see how you can press a digital format...

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 10:51:14 AM »

The metal layer inside a CD is pressed to create a pattern of indentations/holes that correspond to the ones and noughts of the digital signal. The reading laser is then affected by the pattern of pits in the surface, so reading the digital data stream.

In a CDR the metal layer is replaced by a dye-based layer which is burned by a writing laser. The burning causes pits to appear in the surface that appear to the reading laser to have a similar effect as the metal layer. So CD players can read CDRs in the same way that they read CDs.

The CDR burning process only gives a 'similar' effect to a CD surface though and the tolerances on what constitutes a 1 or a 0 are different. This can mean that some CD players cannot read some CDRs.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 11:37:01 AM »

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up