TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:26:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tipplers Tales/Bonny Bunch  (Read 19117 times)
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« on: August 20, 2006, 12:42:38 AM »

These two are great albums. Unfortunately, my CD is scratched and won't play.

Any plans afoot to get them released, remastered and regurgitated? (With bonus tracks, liner notes, photographs and lyrics)!

I mean, even Gottle O'Grim is available.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:30:40 AM »

You could try here:

http://www.moodmusic.co.uk/

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 10:10:06 AM »

There is a copy of Tippler's Tales in "Ar Bed Keltiek" in Quimper, Brittany. (I saw it there last week)

If you e-mail him, he may sell it to you.  It was €25.00

http://www.arbedkeltiek.com/bonjour.htm

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
PhilB

Loc: Preston , Lancs

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 04:19:44 PM »

The Bonny Bunch of Roses CD is available for £8.99 from www.woolworths.co.uk
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 04:40:27 PM »

Thanks guys, but I was hoping that someone had done an "Island" on these and remastered them... with bonus tracks... I've got the Mp3s from my CD that no longer plays, so I'm not overly fussed about getting the same thing again...

Front Row Nik

Loc: Marchwiel, N Wales.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 05:03:18 PM »

Pardon me, Gottle is NOT grim, IMHO!

Nic X

Careful with that axe, Eugene.
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 05:31:13 PM »

I was hoping that someone had done an "Island" on these and remastered them... with bonus tracks...

Unfortunately it's unlikely as they're not Island recordings. The best way to find them is secondhand copies of the two albums on one CD release from 1992, which comes up on Ebay occasionally. It tends to go for quire a bit, so if you've got the MP3's you might not want to bother.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 07:31:50 PM »

Pardon me, Gottle is NOT grim, IMHO!

Nic X

LOL, Freudian Slip.

It's not grim - but it's not an album I can listen to all the way through, which is odd, as it's about 25 minutes long! Smiley

steve c

Loc: Surrey UK

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 07:53:33 PM »

Both here

http://www.moodmusic.co.uk/products.asp?pg=2

it is only music it will not harm you
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 10:17:18 PM »

Gosh, "In Real Time" - the first Fairport albuim I heard in the 1990s when I was a student (Got it the same day as Liege and Lief! Thanks to my mum and (late) dad when they came down to visit me.) Heh.

I never knew it was fake then - does that invalidate it?

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »

Hi all

Has anyone here bought either of the recent "CD On Demand" versions of Bonny Bunch Of Roses or Tippler's Tales?  If so, am I right in thinking that these are printed onto CDRs rather than CDs?

If so that seems a bit dodgy.  Selling what are basically CDRs with printed off sleeves for 8-10 quid!  And yet I am sorely tempted to go for it, as these two albums are very noticeable by their absence in my collection and I'm dying to hear them.

Alternatively, if anyone out there has a copy of the 1990s "twofer" that they want to sell to me, I'd happily go up to £15 or so.  Please let me know if you can oblige.

Best wishes,

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 12:05:07 PM »

Technically speaking, all music CD's are CDR's. What do you consider dodgy? As long as the artist gets their dues...

As to waht you buy, well, it's your money and you choose to buy what you want. Like the 30-minute "Ooh La-La" album I once bought from the Faces.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 12:17:47 PM »

Technically speaking, all music CD's are CDR's. What do you consider dodgy?

CDRs have a much shorter lifespan than silver CDs, and also aren't compatible with all players.  In a way CD On Demand are legitimising the sale of cheapo copies.  I understand that the reason may be that whoever owns the rights to these two albums doesn't think they'd sell enough to warrant a 'proper' reissue, but when you look at what else is available on everyone's back catalogues these days, it does seem a bit penny pinching of them.

Jules

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 12:28:39 PM »

I find your statement that CDR's have shorter lifespans contradicts my own experience. What's your souce for this?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 12:33:39 PM »

I find your statement that CDR's have shorter lifespans contradicts my own experience. What's your source for this?

I admit it's heresay only, from various online music collector forums.  Are you suggesting that CDRs are better than silver discs?  Surely then they'd be the industry standard?  As it is CDRs must be a heck of a lot cheaper to manufacture than silver discs?

Jules

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 01:23:22 PM »

The dual disc that Mood Music sells is manufactured by Sonapress in Birmingham, I believe. No CDRs there....

steve c

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 01:32:14 PM »

Hi All
Can I just correct Chris by saying the link with sonopress was altered some time back and the discs in question are manufactured under the term CDO authorised by Universal records.
Reprinted below is a posting I made some while back on the active section regarding CDO.

Steve

The term on demand can be used for the CDO format but that does not accurately describe the product.
Yes the disc is made to order but is of a quality that in some cases is better technically than mass produced items. Just because a disc is mass produced does not mean it is automatically superior to other products, there are some very poor quality CD producers out there taking good money from struggling up and coming artists.
The quality of the disc inserts and content thereof is really down to the commissioning owner of the content. Take the Universal archive Bonny Bunch product mentioned this is indeed minimal in content and information but that is only because the record company have ordered it that way and is part of a huge back catalogue re-issue.. The idea behind a lot of CDO content is to make old, unavailable and deleted stock once again available on disc at a reasonable price.
IMHO the important part is the music, kept to its original form without the rip off of dubious quality bonus track added to justify a price hike.
You pay your money and take your choice.
CDO can be used and indeed is being used to create product for new bands or to re-issue product as required, see the recent re-issue of “Tipplers Tales”, but again I come back to the amount of sleeve content being the decision of the commissioning owner.
Products are available with multiple page booklets printed to retail quality and shrink wrapped prior to dispatch. It is only because the disc is declared that it is a CDO format that anyone would know the difference.
Another advantage to this system is that other items such as a PC operating data pack can be added with all sorts of other extras, see the pack on the “One for Jonah” disc.
I don’t wish to use this posting as an unmerciful plug for our own products but I will be happy to continue this discussion with anyone who wants more info.

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 01:35:50 PM »

But that doesn't answer the question, Steve....

Are the blanks of CD or CDR quality?....

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 01:41:56 PM »

The dual disc that Mood Music sells is manufactured by Sonapress in Birmingham, I believe. No CDRs there....

I can't think that there will be more than one version of the discs available at this time, so all sellers must be selling the CD On Demand version.  I've done a little searching on the web and have found the following blurb.  It seems that they do use CDRs, but they are 'silver coloured' ones.  Quite what the difference between a 'silver coloured' CDR and a regular CD is, I don't know.  And I quote:-

"CDs - ON DEMAND! During the last 20 years, while CDs have remained the public's music format of choice, manufacturing technology has advanced to the point where professional pressings can be made to order. This is great news for the many old classics, rarities, and titles that you may only have on vinyl - albums thought to be lost to the archives forever, now available again through CD On Demand.

CD On Demand is an officially manufactured product; the re-released albums are exact copies of the music from the original recordings and have the same cover artwork. Packaging is kept to a basic generic format, using booklet cover artwork. While it is a simplified version of the original pressing, it has passed all the record companies' quality checks for audio content and artwork reproduction

HOW DOES IT WORK? The music is digitised and manufactured to the CD without audio compression, i.e. "Red Book" standard. The CD's physical specifications, tracks, and sampling are as per the original masters. This ensures the listener is hearing the music in its full recording quality.

The processes used for the manufacture of CD On Demand takes CDR technology to a new dimension. The CDs are an audio-optimised CDR media with a true silver coloured surface. The CDRs we are using are fully compatible with any CD-Audio or CD-ROM player."

So it sounds respectable enough, but it's still basically a CDR in a jewel case with very basic artwork.  I'm still hoping to find a copy of the 1992 "twofer" edition myself.

Jules

steve c

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 01:44:03 PM »

The technical spec as required by Universal is equivalent to that found on the best CD production.
I emphasise "best"; as I mentioned before some mass manufacture is very much less in quality than "best"
One of the delaying factors in getting the CDO thing off the ground was the quality issue.
I am not sure of the exact figures and they are probably under some kind of confidentiality clause anyway but as I understand it out of the thousands of discs produced so far there have been almost no returns for reasons of quality.

Steve

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: