TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:01:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD 2014?  (Read 163983 times)
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »

His beef, as he explained a couple of weeks earlier than this latest facebook post, was that there was no need to try and copy the Full House album artwork - which he loves - with an embarrassingly dreadful new version. He never mentioned music, people etc. Just the artwork. Why rip it off?

And whilst we're on the subject - when was the last decent bit of album artwork from Fairport? Probably was Full House...!

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »

And whilst we're on the subject - when was the last decent bit of album artwork from Fairport? Probably was Full House...!

That question was already raised (by me).  I may well be in agreement with your initial suggestion.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »

As much as I love Swarb as a great fiddler and all round musician and for his part in Fairport's history (as well as the history of folk rock generally) his recent slagging off of anything that's come from Fairport has been childish and unnecessary. This is a very sad state of affairs that seems to be based on some perceived insult over the 'Fairport by Fairport' book. Get over it and move on. There are plenty of people who love Fairport past AND present, including myself, who are thoroughly cheesed off with all this.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »

As much as I love Swarb as a great fiddler and all round musician and for his part in Fairport's history (as well as the history of folk rock generally) his recent slagging off of anything that's come from Fairport has been childish and unnecessary. This is a very sad state of affairs that seems to be based on some perceived insult over the 'Fairport by Fairport' book. Get over it and move on. There are plenty of people who love Fairport past AND present, including myself, who are thoroughly cheesed off with all this.

Completely agree Mick. That's how I feel too.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2015, 05:52:38 PM »

Completely agree Mick. That's how I feel too.

With you both on that

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2015, 08:27:45 PM »

Yup - with great sadness, me too.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »

This is a very sad state of affairs that seems to be based on some perceived insult over the 'Fairport by Fairport' book.

I think it goes a bit deeper than that.  Remember the Barbican in 2009 as well....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »

I think it goes a bit deeper than that.  Remember the Barbican in 2009 as well....

No - what happened there?

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2015, 08:44:42 PM »

No - what happened there?

Jules

Swarb was lined up to play but then pulled out at the last minute citing lack of rehearsal time/communication problems etc.  Leslie sat in on the Swarb material (and did a bloody good job too).  Problems have been brewing for years, I think...long before that excremental 'biography' finished things off.  But yeah, it is very sad...but then families have their ups and their downs....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2015, 09:01:54 PM »

Swarb was lined up to play but then pulled out at the last minute citing lack of rehearsal time/communication problems etc.  Leslie sat in on the Swarb material (and did a bloody good job too).  Problems have been brewing for years, I think...long before that excremental 'biography' finished things off.  But yeah, it is very sad...but then families have their ups and their downs....

Ah, yes, it's coming back to me now.  Ta for the reminder.

Jules

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »

The Barbican was a Joe Boyd curated thing, wasn't it? I get the impression there's another character he feels slighted by.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »

The Barbican was a Joe Boyd curated thing, wasn't it? I get the impression there's another character he feels slighted by.

Indeed.  I think Swarb talked about Joe when we was a TAW guest, didn't he?

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2015, 09:43:51 PM »

Although, funnily enough, he said something rather positive about him on FB not long ago, I think...I remember being quite surprised by it (although I can't find it now).

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2015, 01:55:36 AM »

Wonder what he thinks about Glyn Johns all these years later. He had much to say about him too over the years about Rising For The Moon. Maybe that wound has healed, I'm not entirely sure.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2015, 10:21:06 PM »

This is a very sad state of affairs that seems to be based on some perceived insult over the 'Fairport by Fairport' book.

And the Cropredy 2007 DVD. Some of the best bits of that gig were missed off because Swarb refused to appear on it (quibble over money, I think).

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2015, 12:01:17 AM »

And the Cropredy 2007 DVD. Some of the best bits of that gig were missed off because Swarb refused to appear on it (quibble over money, I think).

He implied he wanted to be paid and this wasn't available. I wasn't actually there to hear what was said, I have no idea. Only a few people will actually know. You could always ask him.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #196 on: January 20, 2015, 09:33:24 AM »

How sad.  Sad

However, discontent seems to have first reared its head as long ago as 1985 - see pages 19/20 of The Woodworm Era.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2015, 10:04:51 AM »

How sad.  Sad

However, discontent seems to have first reared its head as long ago as 1985 - see pages 19/20 of The Woodworm Era.

Oh aye...from what I've read/heard, he wanted to focus on Whippersnapper...and wanted Fairport as more of the same (as per '79-'84)...a bit of a tour and Cropredy.  'They' (Simon, Swarb and now, I suppose, DM after Bruce left) wanted a permanent and commercially viable outfit.  They got what they wanted.  It's never nice to see it all out there though, is it...  Undecided

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2015, 10:53:17 AM »

He implied he wanted to be paid and this wasn't available. I wasn't actually there to hear what was said, I have no idea. Only a few people will actually know. You could always ask him.

Maybe there wasn't enough 'rehearsal time' available?  Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2015, 03:52:33 PM »

30 second previews of all the songs available here.  Good luck.  I lasted until Track 8.  

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SFB3V1Q/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00SFB3V1Q&linkCode=as2&tag=propemusicd05-21&linkId=ZT6PQKVKCZKY24GE

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: