TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:57:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT Tour - any sightings?  (Read 4858 times)
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« on: February 12, 2010, 11:12:07 AM »

Did anyone out there in USA land go to the warm up gig for his band tour last night - if you're up yet Grin
jjjudy

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:01:58 AM »

Yes -- we did. I did not keep a set list, sorry to report. As advertised, the first half was roughly twelve new songs, all performed with accuracy and passion by the band. Many of them were serious; there were a couple of real rockers. My favorite was the one about a broken relationship called -- I think -- I'll Stumble On. The violinist did a spectacular job throughout and his inclusion was integral to the songs. Everyone played tightly together. Pete was more subdued than in previous band tours and seemed to play more strings than horns, although I did not keep a tally. The second half really rocked and was full of some very tight performances -- it opened with Time Will Show the Wiser and I also remember I'll Never Give It Up and One Door Opens as especially strong songs (I thought some of the set might have been chosen as having been played on the recent band tour in which Taras subbed for Danny Thompson). I think the new RT songs bear repeated listening and suspect the band will grow into them by playing them live over the next two weeks.

Teddy and Kami both played in the encores.

Strobe lights and blown speakers
Fireworks and hurricanes
StephenGiles

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 06:19:16 PM »

Many thanks, I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:02:25 AM »

Went to this show on the 16th at the Aladdin and realized how challenging it is to listen to 13 songs you have never heard before. I am terrible at set lists and don't take notes at shows but suffice to say there are songs about swans, serial killers, crime scenes, lost loves and broken hearts. The band were very studious for the first half with music stands and little lights fully employed. The new album will be a delight and definitely a return to an older sound but that may have been the fiddle.

The second half was a rocker with Thompson and band unleashing but with no real surprises although after the concentration and restraint of the first half it was good to see. The whole thing ended with with a great Bright Lights and the crowd baying for more as the house lights came on.

I nearly went back on the 17th but my wife had other plans.

The eight people I convinced to go had a good time and are waiting for the acoustic show in the future.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
StephenGiles

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:47:18 AM »

Many thanks for your report - don't let the folk bigots over at Mudcat know that they used music stands - perish the thought Shocked
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »

"Time Will Show The Wiser" resurrected by the RTB?  That's the kewl.
Tony F

Loc: Portland, OR USA

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:38:38 AM »

I was at the 16 Feb Aladdin show, as well.  Don't know if I saw you, Neil, but glad you were there.  Such a good vibe there.

Me and my homies felt that the first set ~ Richard sharing the recording of the new album with us (and when I say new, I mean so new he had a music stand with lyrics for reference ~ not that this came off as unprofessional in the slightest, merely intimate & fun Smiley) was the show, and the rest was the icing.  Every song was a treat.  Look out for the smokin' folk rockers "Devil In Her Dancing Shoes" and "Sidney Wells" (the folk-metal story of a serial killer in 9/8 time)...!  Dark-humored, both.  Late in the set, when he followed a bittersweet ballad to recently departed friends, "A Brother Slips Away" (was it a tear or just sweat that Richard wiped away just after it ended?), with the henpecked rocker "Bad Again," it seemed like a perfect adrenalin-drenched moment to leave the crowd to digest it all.  Not to be.  Instead, he performed what I thought to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written ~ an absolutely stunning song about the price, and worth, of love.  And as if it even needed anything more than the lovely little solo he played after an early verse, he brought it home with a staggeringly emotional (and long) guitar solo.  We were speechless afterwards.  Time and repeated future listenings will tell, but I know that my household can't wait to hear that song again.  The melody was in my head all the way up until the 2nd set rode over it with....

Time Will Show the Wiser!!  What a treat to hear him sing it, and at a venue small enough to actually see how he plays the riff.  Here's the 2nd set (almost):
Time Will Show the Wiser
Can't Win  (he played the neverending guitar solo of the night on this one)
unplugged one (didn't know it, sorry!  Featured the full band, but RT on acoustic)
Al Bowlly's In Heaven  (also "unplugged," same format)
I'll Never Give It Up (how does he sing this?  A 25-year-old would be gasping for breath)
Wall of Death
Tear-Stained Letter
encore:
Take Care the Road You Choose
I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

It being his first show, my brother Nick was a little disappointed not to see '52 Vincent Black Lightning.  But there were no solo acoustic songs, in fact, RT obviously really wanted to rock.  I've only seen him once before myself, on the Sweet Warrior tour with this same band, but I think he played even more lead guitar this time...live warrior, indeed.  I love Michael Jerome, can I just say.  And the fiddle player was a great addition to the chemistry.  

Neil, I know how you feel, I considered trying to return for Wednesday, too!  But I think I'm glad now that the experience of those new songs can remain new rather than be repeated so soon.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: