TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:16:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Acoustic Convention - Spring Tour 2008  (Read 68333 times)
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2008, 01:06:25 PM »

Great pictures, thank you Tamlyn!  I can't believe you're really called that and you're into Fairport...

You should meet her friend Michael. He's crazy, man.
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2008, 06:18:35 PM »

Great pictures, thank you Tamlyn!  I can't believe you're really called that and you're into Fairport...

You should meet her friend Michael. He's crazy, man.

Grin Grin Grin

Imponderable Joy
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2008, 11:33:29 PM »

My mandola's called Eric Smiley

Are all your instruments called Eric? Smiley
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2008, 08:46:23 AM »

My mandola's called Eric Smiley

Are all your instruments called Eric? Smiley

Yes.  Apart from Sam & Audrey.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Bernie

« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »

Any reviews from the last gig of the tour at Chipping Norton Huh  There must have been some people there from the board, but nothing has been posted........ Should have been the best night of the tour, but then if Blackburn was anything to go by..it would be hard to top that.....excellent show....love them guys me !!!

Bernie (Southport)
Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2008, 03:09:31 PM »

Any reviews from the last gig of the tour at Chipping Norton? Huh  

Hi Bernie,
Sorry, I meant to post a quick review when we got back but sadly failed.Yeah,it was a great show to end the tour. A lovely theatre serving great Hooky in a lovely town next to a super pub on a lovely spring Saturday.Can't go wrong really! The three of us were staying at the recommended Crown and Cushion up the hill a bit from the theatre and we popped down to the Chequers next door about an hour before the show where it was nice to meet the chaps outside having,variously, a few pints of Landlord and some chips. Chris suggested we visit the nearby Rollright standing stones on the Sunday,which we did.Peggy told us to expect a "mellow" show as he gave us the impression he'd had a few.If he had,however,it certainly wasn't apparent on stage as the band were incredibly tight throughout.Same set as the rest of the tour and no guests but great acoustic versions of Lancashire Hills,Portmerion and Hiring Fair to name three that particularly stood out-with some great vocal delay from Simon on the latter.Overall,the audience were a little reserved-I suspect a large number of tickets are sold to "friends" of the theatre who might not,necessarily, be mad Fairport nuts-but they all seemed to enjoy it. The chaps were on good form afterwards and Ric was slipping away to Spain for a few days the day after to do some recording with Vo.Even managed, along with Simon, to get a quick one in at the Chequers afterwards. All in all a lovely weekend and a great show to end the acoustic tour.I suspect the next time we see the chaps it'll be within a stones throw of Chipping Norton but in slightly less intimate circumstances!
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »

Any reviews from the last gig of the tour at Chipping Norton? Huh  

Overall,the audience were a little reserved-I suspect a large number of tickets are sold to "friends" of the theatre who might not,necessarily, be mad Fairport nuts-but they all seemed to enjoy it.

We were there as well and can't really add much to Neil's excellent review except to say that we didn't think the audience was particularly reserved. The one thing that strikes you about Chippy is how noisy people are before the show and during the interval - perhaps because they all know each other! Totally agree that standing outside the Theatre on a warm spring evening with a glass in one's hand looking across the rooftops towards the Cotswolds is the perfect complement to a great Fairport Convention gig.

S&J
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: