TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:51:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FC's Hanging Song on YouTube  (Read 9163 times)
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« on: June 25, 2006, 07:49:03 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNlWD-YoVAg&search=Fairport

Sound and picture seem to be a bit out of synch, which can happen a bit with the YouTube videos, but here's the clip of the Swarbrick/Pegg/Hill/Mattacks line-up performing "Hanging Song" on OGWT 1972.  DM looking terribly disinterested...

MH

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
kascade

Loc: bedfordshire

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 09:48:14 AM »

Brilliant Grin

Don't try to understand me,just love me
Thor-Rune

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 09:54:32 AM »

DM obviously not in the best of moods that day. Miming was probably never his favourite pastime. But it was a thrill to watch anyway, as we so rarely get to see Fairport clips from the 60's and 70's. A million thanks to whoever made this clip available. In fact, I think I'll have a listen to Babbacombe Lee right now, as it's been quite a while since I last heard it.

Thor-Rune
x

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »

Thanks fstix. i liked sandy doing 'north star grassman and the ravens' as well.
       as for the hanging song, i must have blinked, but at which point did simon change from acoustic to electric? Damn fast wasn't he!! Grin
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 10:01:17 AM »

as for the hanging song, i must have blinked, but at which point did simon change from acoustic to electric? Damn fast wasn't he!! Grin

At which point did Simon change into Roger Hill, that's what I want to know...  Wink

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 10:03:36 AM »

At which point did Simon change into Roger Hill, that's what I want to know...  Wink

Sometime in late '71 from memory, but he changed back to himself a few years later...

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
x

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 10:06:47 AM »

....D'oh
kascade

Loc: bedfordshire

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 10:11:45 AM »

My 11 year old son pointed out to me that it was Roger Hill not Simon Nicol Embarrassed....thanks son,I stand corrected
                            Kas xx

Don't try to understand me,just love me
x

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 10:14:37 AM »

Phew, i wasn't the only one then!!!
   It was a long time ago though. Isn't that altzheimers disease a darned nuisance!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 10:45:37 AM »

Okay, who the flip is Roger Hill? Sorry! I knew it wasn't Simon, but was totally stumped as to the geetar player's indentity.

Thanks for the clip fstix. Fabulous to see a young Swarb doing his thing Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
johnthegonne

Loc: West Kent

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 11:01:22 AM »

Roger Hill, old Brummie mate of Peggy I believe. Fairport also had a drummer called Tom Farnell for a short while at this time. Turbulent times for Fairport, leading one music paper to announce the shock news that Fairport hadn't changed their line up that week!

I used to be a Secondspur
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 11:02:35 AM »

Roger Hill, old Brummie mate of Peggy I believe. Fairport also had a drummer called Tom Farnell for a short while at this time. Turbulent times for Fairport, leading one music paper to announce the shock news that Fairport hadn't changed their line up that week!

Thanks for that John! I thought I had got to grips will all the line-up changes, but you live and learn Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 11:30:46 AM »

i think DM is keeping his head down to hide that ill advised moustache
 piss poor miming chaps

The Dude abides
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 11:31:09 AM »

Hi there,
              sorry to sound like a helpless prat (more than usual, I mean), but I can't seem to access this video; all I get is a message saying that I don't have the latest Flash player (which I do) or that Javascript is turned off. I don't know how to access Javascript, but as far as I'm aware it's not been turned off.
   I'm logged in to Youtube, and have turned off my firewall and the pop-up blocker, but no video; can anyone help, please?  Cry

Many thanks, Ian  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 02:19:16 PM »

Remerkable. Whoever's playing mandolin must ahve been out of shot for the whole thing!

And none of them look stoned, do they?
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 09:34:04 PM »

I had always thought that they appeared live on OGWT. Interested in the magically changing guitar  Grin.

The electric version seems quite an unusual Strat. It was a cheap version thet Fender produced in the 70s with only 2 pickups, and a flush mounted jack socket, rather than the recessed one normally fitted.

Paul

Ian FM

Loc: Lurking hereabouts

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 03:44:50 AM »

...and it's signed by Eric Clapton. You can only make it out on the original full-size video, though.

BTW It's a myth that everyone who appeared on OGWT performed live.

The shows would usually be transmitted live, and generally feature studio appearances from two acts, one of whom would play live in the studio, whilst the other act would have been recorded at an earlier time or date (due to the studio being barely larger than the average living room).

Apparently, in the early days it was not uncommon for the pre-recorded section to be mimed, as there wasn't always time to set up the gear and do sound checks, BBC not wanting to use too much precious video tape on re-takes, etc. Plus some of the recording sessions took place early in the morning, which may account for why everyone looks half asleep on this clip (DM's presumably not an "AM person" Grin)
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 11:00:33 AM »

fantastic- Thanks to whoever put this up! Its great to see Grin Grin isn't Swarb a handsome young man.. so smart in his suit Wink

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: