TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:18:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mattacks and the US tour  (Read 9905 times)
Keith E Rice

Loc: Harrogate

"It's alright...it's only witchcraft!"

« on: June 21, 2006, 11:20:37 AM »

Great to see that photo on the FC site of DM with Ric and Simon in Cambridge, Mass, everyone looking relaxed and comfortable with each other.

Given the speculation over the years that DM and FC parted on bad terms - with next to no official comment either by DM or the band on the matter` - presumably time has made grievances seem less immediate and fond memories more important.

One thing that has always endeared me to FC - as say, compared to my other longstanding passionate musical love, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, whose intraband sniping and bitternesses towards each other are legendary - is that mostly there has been a real bonhommie amongst FC. It seems rare for musicians of this calibre to be genuine mates.

Of course, we know there have been intraband grievances. Jude being dumped without warning. Matthews being edged out even during the recording of 'HOLIDAYS'. Simon's retreat from the US tour after the others criticised his production of 'BABBACOMBE'. Jerry effectively pressing the self-destruct button for the 'MOON' line-up. Swarb's self-imposed exile from Cropredy after the release of 'GLADYS'. Maart's grumbles prior to departure. But all these grievances have seemed to have worn themselves out pretty quickly...perhaps because there was real friendship amongst the musicians.

If the rumour bill was to be believed - and probably there have been massive exaggerations! - DM was the one wound that seemed reluctant to heal.

So what a pleasure to see DM and the guys at ease with each other again.

In the dynamics of the Peggy Problems of the past couple of years, that photo sends me an incredibly reassuring and heartwarming message.

DM for Cropredy guest 2007? I certainly hope. He himself never surrendered his drum stool to guest Bruce - not once as far as I know. But I'm sure Gerry would let DM have a little play!

INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED!
'KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU: an Integrated SocioPsychology Guide to Personal Fulfilment & Better Relationships'  ISBN 1-4120-8291-9 (Trafford Publishing, 2006)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 11:22:54 AM »

DM drums for Feast of Fiddles... they are playing Cropps this year...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 11:43:04 AM »

DM drums for Feast of Fiddles... they are playing Cropps this year...

D'you know.I knew that but for some strange reason it hadn't computed !!! I simply hadn't realised until now that DM would be at Cropredy. Would be churlish of him not to thump a few tubs with FC ??

Actually as a fellow tub thumper, 'twould be great if FC could do a Steeleye and have TWO drummers for part of the set. Now that would be worth seeing - DM and Gerry belting away side by side - a drum heavy Matty perhaps..............you must excuse me, I'm having a moment or premature anticipation.......... Embarrassed Shocked

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:07:15 PM »

I'm sure I've seen them at Cropredy with two drummers in the past. . .I don't think I'm misremembering, but I'm sure someone out there will know for sure.
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 12:23:25 PM »

You're right, PLW. Every year from 1980 to 1985 I think. And the two in question were Bruce Rowland and DM.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 12:27:24 PM »

and wonderful it was

The Dude abides
Alex Lyons

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 12:31:21 PM »

It was an all Jim. One of the things that makes something like the 1982 video so good. Very different but complementary styles. Similar to the twin drums with the late 70s Albions, notably on 'Rise Up' and occasionally live. As Simon once said, "you wonder why every band doesn't play with two drummers...probably cos it sounds like this when we play a tender Dave Swarbrick love song!"

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 04:02:48 PM »

There you are then.

if it ain't been done since 1985 - when I was too young to be allowed to travel to Cropredy on my own  Wink - and if DM is going to be there already - then it's about time it happened again.

Anyway, given his penchant for changing things, I'm sure DM has had a new kit / cymbal setup / sticks / technique / hands / haircut  ( ok - not the haircut)  since he last played with FC so 'twould be good to hear if he'd any fresh takes on old songs.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 05:44:28 PM »

i seem to remember someone posting that Feast of fiddles were booked elsewhere for the saturday night
 is this right?cos if it is then no DM for saturday
 maybe he's testing the water out for next year

The Dude abides
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 05:50:02 PM »

Your right Jim, they're playing at Broadstairs Folk Festival on saturday night, almost on my doorstep and we shall be at Cropredy!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 11:05:59 PM »

Possibly a trial run for a reunion in 2007?......

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 07:34:38 AM »

Isn't Chris Leslie in FOF? He'll have trouble on Saturday night!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 08:46:05 AM »

I think he was missing for most of this year's tour anyway.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 11:22:34 AM »

Chris was at the FoF gig in Lichfield.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 11:41:18 AM »

And at Worcester.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 11:57:54 AM »

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=16582.0

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 01:03:48 PM »

You're right, PLW. Every year from 1980 to 1985 I think. And the two in question were Bruce Rowland and DM.

But that was Bruce - who was then the full time drummer in FC - letting DM drum.  Once DM regained control of the chair in '85 he only ever let poor old Bruce bang a tambourine.  That's always struck me as unfair.  I've always thought Woodstock veterans deserved a bit more respect  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 10:53:57 PM »

But that was Bruce - who was then the full time drummer in FC - letting DM drum.  Once DM regained control of the chair in '85 he only ever let poor old Bruce bang a tambourine.  That's always struck me as unfair.  I've always thought Woodstock veterans deserved a bit more respect  Wink

All kidding aside - what was really going on there?  I had read somewhere that Bruce became Mr. Tambourine Man due to the fact that he cannot drum anymore.  Tendinitis or something?  I know that DM could often be on the moody side, but I find it hard to believe that he had an issue with Bruce guest drumming.  Can anybody clear me up on this one?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 11:06:58 PM »

Gerry played on the occasional number at Cropredy when DM was still in the band.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alex Lyons

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 11:15:09 PM »

He did indeed Nick - usually/always (?) 'Who Knows...' as DM's keys were integral to the arrangement.

Bruce's sudden disappearance and subsequent tambourine-only duties was basically just due to him retiring from drumming after leaving Fairport - he was farming in Denmark in his final year or two with Fairport & that became a full-time thing. Also with DM in the band full-time for the first time in a decade, there wasn't really a need for a second drummer any more. It was great with the "old" stuff at those early 80s Cropredies, but perhaps it wouldn't really have suited the new material. Would have been nice (albeit a lot of work) to have a second kit for something like 'Dirty Linen' though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: