TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:39:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being young, working and Cropredy...  (Read 23711 times)
top_gear_jess
n3wb

Loc: Oxford

« on: June 13, 2006, 05:07:32 AM »

Heya...

I'd better introduce myself... name's Jess and I'm a student at Wadham College, Oxford. I'm (shock horror) not a folk purist, but I do love Steeleye Span with a great deal of my heart.

But what's the point of this post I hear you cry?

Well...

I'm thinking of going to Cropredy this year, but am having difficulty finding somebody to join me. I was just wondering whether there's a 'yoof' audience out there who were thinking of going this year? (And if any person posts with a 'it doesn't matter, we're all young at heart' I shall stamp on them with one of So Solid Crew's trainers)

Also, just to put my mum's mind at rest... would y'all say that Cropredy provides an environment where it might be safe for a 19 year old female to attend alone, and make some friends on the way?

Finally... does anybody know how one might get work at Cropredy? Us poor students (ha!) find even Cropredy's very reasonable admission costs a tad steep. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from y'all.

This is a Reno Espace… probably the best of the people carriers. Not that that’s saying much. It’s like saying ‘Oh good, I’ve got syphilis… the best of the sexually transmitted diseases…’ - Clarkson
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 06:19:25 AM »

hello jess.
as responsible adults we are supposed to say 'no, dont go alone'..........even tho
a)cropredy is one of the safest festys i've ever been to and
 b) it would make me a hypocrite because i used to hitch to festies on my own when i was 19.........

as for work, i dont know what the deal is at crop, but i'm sure someone will be along presently who does - it may be too late tho if they use volunteers, and there's a fair chance they dont anyway.

so i would say - yes, come on your own, but you wont be on your own for too long i reckon!

abby (old and festival-worn) Tongue

(and tell your mum we'll look out for ya!)

it'll be fine.......
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:00:19 AM »

I don't know about stewarding at Cropredy I'm afraid ...

... but we could most likely find you a job stewarding at next year's Oxford Folk Festival  Cheesy

There's always room for a plug  Roll Eyes

Welcome to the board Jess

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:33:21 AM »

Hi Jess.. I'd guess that all the jobs are well and truly organised by now..

...but try contacting the Fairport office and ask/offer... you never know!

info@fairportconvention.com

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 09:07:16 AM »

I'm thinking of going to Cropredy this year, but am having difficulty finding somebody to join me. I was just wondering whether there's a 'yoof' audience out there who were thinking of going this year? 

Also, just to put my mum's mind at rest... would y'all say that Cropredy provides an environment where it might be safe for a 19 year old female to attend alone, and make some friends on the way?

Folkie must be about your age, I'm sure she'll be along soon to calm your nerves....

And if your Mum is happy for you to attend Wadham......nuff said!

Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:14:39 AM »

I'm thinking of going to Cropredy this year, but am having difficulty finding somebody to join me. I was just wondering whether there's a 'yoof' audience out there who were thinking of going this year? (And if any person posts with a 'it doesn't matter, we're all young at heart' I shall stamp on them with one of So Solid Crew's trainers)

Hi Jess, there is a considerable "Yoof" element to the crowd (unfortunately I can no longer claim to be one of them, although I do tend to behave like a child all weekend!) so you will have no trouble fitting in.

As for your mum's safety worries - I have seen rowdier crowds in an elevator. I think most people will agree that there are fewer friendlier, safer festivals anywhere in the world.

Mark

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
vikki rose
Sleeves rolled up

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 09:16:19 AM »

Hello Jess

Me & Kip (younger brother) shall be in attendance at Croperdy & you are more then welcome to hang about with us (23 & 21 respectively). It will be our first time at croperdy too & we are very excited!
Vikki xx

Friends of the Oxford Folk festival. F OFF in the nicest possible way......
www.oxfordfolkfestival.com
www.oxfolk.org.uk
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 09:46:53 AM »

Hi Jess

There are more Oxford university people at Cropredy than you would imagine.

There is always a contingent from Jesus College that contains a weird mix of students, staff and old members (well, old as in 25 or so). We can usually be found under our version of the College flag (substitute the stags rampant for grazing sheep and you get the picture) Grin

I won't claim to be young at heart. I am just as much the mad old tyrant at Cropredy as I am at College, holding no notice fire drills and random room (tent) inspections throughout the weekend. That is why so many of the students come with us Wink

If you spot us do come and say hello.

Sandra

Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 10:37:19 AM »

I won't claim to be young at heart. I am just as much the mad old tyrant at Cropredy as I am at College, holding no notice fire drills and random room (tent) inspections throughout the weekend.

You may think she's joking...but she isn't  Wink Grin.

Do watch out though Jess or you may find yourself sucked into the Oxford Folk Festival...why, all Vikki did was say Hi to someone at a Fairport gig and now she's thoroughly assimilated!. I digress...Cropredy is very safe indeed, nice things happen there, and you will be fine.. Cheesy

Cheers

Fi
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 10:42:55 AM »

I won't claim to be young at heart. I am just as much the mad old tyrant at Cropredy as I am at College, holding no notice fire drills and random room (tent) inspections throughout the weekend.

I digress...Cropredy is very safe indeed, nice things happen there, and you will be fine.. Cheesy

Cheers

Fi

and she woke with a fear and a voice in her ear said "have some mederia m' dear".

seriously, you will have a wonderful time and meet many eccentric people................and never be the same again
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 10:59:59 AM »

You have to come!

There will be two 17 year old Cropredy virgins with me (female students) and a former student of mine (19 years young, male, good looking) will be there for the third time. He knows a lot of young people in the audience.

I will introduce you to the kids if you want.

When Daniel, this handsome boy, came to Cropredy the first time on his own, he told his parents: "Don´t worry, Miss Hilger will be there to look after me." But he forgot to inform me.
So that Wednesday I sat backstage in the shadow of the stage having a pint when my mobile rang. It was Daniel. "Hello Miss Hilger, where are you?" Me: "Hi Daniel, I´m in England." Daniel: "Me too." Me: "Oh, where are you?" Daniel: "I´m sitting infront of the stage!" Me (in a senior moment): "Which stage?" Daniel: "The Cropredy stage of course."
Surprise, surprise. My favourite festival on the face of this planet and one of my students (German literature course) was there. Undecided
kascade

Loc: bedfordshire

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 03:12:46 PM »

I went to my first festival when I was 16,no way could you have described it as safe,there was a running battle between the Windsor Hells Angels and the police,thankfully,Cropredy will not be anything like that.....incidentally I befriended a charming Angel,who made sure I came to no harm all weekend....this was easily done,I offered him some cheese and crackers! Tiara

Don't try to understand me,just love me
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 03:38:42 PM »

incidentally I befriended a charming Angel,who made sure I came to no harm all weekend....this was easily done,I offered him some c****e and crackers! Tiara

Phew! Lucky he didn't claim to be "young at heart", isn't it?   Cool

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
top_gear_jess
n3wb

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 03:43:11 PM »

Hey guys, this is great news - thank you very much!

Pretty soon I'll try and get my pic on here, and then if you see me wandering around you can come over and say 'hi'. After all, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet! *groans at the cheesiness of previous line*

Look forward to meeting y'all...

JESS

This is a Reno Espace… probably the best of the people carriers. Not that that’s saying much. It’s like saying ‘Oh good, I’ve got syphilis… the best of the sexually transmitted diseases…’ - Clarkson
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 03:46:32 PM »

What on earth do all of you think you are doing!!!  Shocked

You do realise what will happen if you encourage these bloomin' students to attend Cropredy, don't you?  They'll drink all the 6X, eat all the Cajun spuds, and worst of all they will make the rest of us feel old.  I can just picture the conversation by the bar "I don't know about you darling, but I'm sure festival goers are getting younger".  Wink

Seriously though, you should definitely come along Jess!  If you haven't made arrangements (via Talkawhile) to meet up with a group of likeminded people at Cropredy before August comes around I'll be amazed.  It really is such a friendly & safe festival - Your mum needn't worry if you do decide to attend.

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
x

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 03:52:19 PM »

don't worry about the students eating all the cajun fries penguin. they won't be able to afford them!
£6 for a plate of glorified chip? Hey -ho, i'll still be in the queue at some point in the weekend
kascade

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 05:24:41 PM »

I went to my first festival when I was 16,no way could you have described it as safe,there was a running battle between the Windsor Hells Angels and the police,thankfully,Cropredy will not be anything like that.....incidentally I befriended a charming Angel,who made sure I came to no harm all weekend....this was easily done,! I offered him some c****e and crackers{:-)
I don't know what happened to my word there Huh but it's meant to say cheese!!

kascade

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »

I give up

Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »

It's just one of those words that the expletive editor edits. No idea of the reason, but I'm sure somebody will be along with some amusing history soon.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 05:28:34 PM »

The word cheese is one of the banned words from the forum. Don't ask why. The reasons are lost in the mists of time Shocked Shocked Shocked

There are others (I am surprised that C*******s has made it through so early. It is normally banned until D*******r).

Are you starting to get the drift? Smiley

S****a

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: