TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:17:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joe Boyd autobiography  (Read 13510 times)
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« on: May 14, 2006, 03:38:48 PM »

His autobiography is called White Bicycles - Making music in the 1960's is available through Telegraph Books 0870  428 4112. Yesterday's DT colour mag had the obligatory picture of FC on TOTP with the roadie playing along - lots of stuff re Nick Drake.

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 03:42:38 PM »

And a CD to go with it from Fledg'ling records

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
johnthegonne

Loc: West Kent

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 06:40:10 PM »

There is also a great review in the Observer. Lots of good comments about the Fairports and Sandy.

I used to be a Secondspur
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 07:54:49 PM »

Another music group I am involved with are trying to set up a talk and signing session with Joe in Central London - if this comes off I will post an invite here.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 03:41:47 PM »

I strongly recommend Joe's book. He writes very well, tells some great stories and manages to remain urbanely polite even when you can see he's being downright provocative. I have a problem with his claim that "Sandy couldn't relate to Nick" because of class differences between them, she being "suburban middle class" and he being "rural/colonial upper middle". Got a feeling that at least one of Sandy's (female) friends would fall into the "rural/colonial upper middle" bracket (if we're going to start typing people by class, which is a pretty bad idea anyway). 

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 06:36:09 PM »

Just ordered it from Guardian Unlimited after trying TWICE to find it in B*rders ("Yes it's in but it must be on a trolley somewhere").

I loved the Observer review too - see  http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/biography/0,,1773820,00.html   . And there's a great big chunk of the book in Froots this month. Norma Waterson - 1965 - ooer missus!!

On the earlier point, I'd say Sandy was slightly upper middle class judging by the photo on the front of Unhalfbricking. And she came from Wimbledon. But she swore rather more than most of the Brit upper middles....(I speak as a working class git who got pitchforked into a public day school at age 11, for those unused to the minutiae of the British class system) 

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Malcolm
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 10:51:16 AM »

Just got the book through the post. Picture of Nick Drake studying an FC album sleeve!

Also just got Fledg'lings flyer. Got to have the CDas it has Ribbon Bow which is missing from my collection.

Long live nostalgia Smiley
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 10:58:02 AM »

Bought it last night, finished it at 1am this morning not bad  Smiley

Happy mainly.
Malcolm
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 01:45:56 PM »

Just listening to playback of Thursday 18th's Radio 4 Front Row prog which includes interview with JB re the book
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 04:22:25 PM »

It's a great read, full of wonderful gems of information and insight. I loved it. makes you feel you were there. Respect, Joe.

One tiny point of pedantry: "No two Fairport Convention records have ever featured the same line-up." That isn't true is it? Even relatively early on, Angel Delight was followed by Babbacombe Lee, which have the same line up. Unless he means of those he produced, which is of course true.
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 09:34:24 PM »

Dropped on the mat this morning - I made myself late for work reading it.

Absolutely excellent, very well worth the money, he really comes across as a good bloke. Don't know if Swarb would agree though - remember the questionnaire in a Cropredy programme from years ago? "Favourite drink - Boyd's blood!"

Joes's descriptions of running tours with people like Muddy Waters, Rev. Gary Davies and Sister Rosetta Tharpe are priceless. Reminded me of tales of the immortal Alexis Korner's household, where it was all to easy to fall over a sleeping elderly bluesman at 3 a.m.

And I loved the anecdote about Joe pointing out to Alan Lomax that after all, what Alan did collecting songs for posterity was really just a commercial activity like being a record producer, and Lomax offering Joe a knuckle sandwich in return  Shocked.

And of course it will keep the N*ck Dr*ke cult going. Splendid stuff - suppose we all get the book signed at Croppers 2007 then?

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 02:57:05 PM »

There's a report pn the FC website about the launch party that Peggy, Simon & Swarb attended....

Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 10:44:58 PM »

Must be enough material for a "what Joe did next" Volume 2. All the Hannibal/ World music stuff that he did and I think he produced one of REMs early albums.

Happy mainly.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 11:37:40 PM »

fables of the reconstruction, i think

The Dude abides
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 11:07:10 AM »

Spot on Jim, well done bonny lad  Smiley

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 12:07:56 PM »

Spot on Jim, well done bonny lad  Smiley

It probably doesn't matter much - but am I the only one who hasn't got a clue what this is all about?

Confused of Stratford.
Alex Lyons

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 12:38:54 PM »

It probably doesn't matter much - but am I the only one who hasn't got a clue what this is all about?

Confused of Stratford.

Sorry Steve.... "Dad Volt" said Joe Boyd produced an early REM title, Jim came up with the right one. I think they'd specifically asked for Boyd after being longtime fans of his Fairport etc work but I don't think the sessions went that well and he wasn't asked back for the next album.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 02:10:30 PM »

Thanks Alex.

Obviously need to brush up on my early REM.

So little time....so much to do.

Steve
Malcolm
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 11:25:33 AM »

Just received the CD. Thanks, Jude, for posting re its existence.

Ribbon Bow credits someone called Tristram Fry as a member of FC on vibraphone. Never heard of him.  Jude, any recollections?

Malcolm
Alex Lyons

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 11:35:55 AM »

Ribbon Bow credits someone called Tristram Fry as a member of FC on vibraphone. Never heard of him.  Jude, any recollections?

He did a lot of session work - Nick Drake, John Martyn probably the closest to Fairport - and was the drummer in Sky I think (John Williams etc). I think it's actually Tristan Fry but seemingly nobody can decide how to spell it...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: