TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:52:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport List  (Read 24400 times)
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2006, 04:12:20 PM »

It certainly has Donna.

Both andy Farquarson and Jane Smith has posted excellent comments to the list regarding the merits (and demerits!) of the FC list whilst both saying, rightly, that both the FC list and Talkawhile have their place in the FC family. If you don't like it there then please leave but I think that having a go at them from here is a bit of a cheap shot, as is having a go at us from the list.

I've been a member of the FC list for quite a few years and until very recently its been extremely quiet for the last few months. The recent debates have been largely fun, lots of them off topic and rightly people are saying they should be taken there but there has been a lot of activity which if you were new to the list could be a bit overwhelming. So, I would cut the list a bit of slack as they are largely doing to this board, (trying to avoid them and us comments  Grin) and remember we are all part of the extended Fairport family.

Now, anybody fancy a pint, I'm off to the arms as its been a long day already   Roll Eyes

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2006, 11:29:33 AM »

It certainly has Donna.

Both andy Farquarson and Jane Smith has posted excellent comments to the list regarding the merits (and demerits!) of the FC list whilst both saying, rightly, that both the FC list and Talkawhile have their place in the FC family. If you don't like it there then please leave but I think that having a go at them from here is a bit of a cheap shot, as is having a go at us from the list.

Well said that man.  Grin

Cheers,

Donna
xx
jvmerrick
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006, 09:12:42 PM »

At the risk of drawing out a prolonged thread.....
There's room for both approaches. I've been a member of the FC list since, I dunno, 1998? and have just joined this one. I like the style of this one better, I think, but as somebody said, if you take the digest, it's petty easy to skid past the dross.
If it gets really out of hand, I look at the list of topics at the front of the digest, and if there's nowt there, I don't go any further.
I'm not a prolific poster, I've been a fan of the band since 1969 (yeah, I'm old), and use the list for interesting info on related music.
It's also useful for getting advance notice on gigs in my areas (SF Bay area) so I can leap in and get good seats, rather than go "rats, I wish I'd known about that".
I plan to stay on both lists, it'll be interesting to see how I feel in a month.
John M
mikec
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2006, 10:43:53 PM »

Welcome John

I've been a member on the list for 5 or 6 years I think (maybe longer) and a lurker for many of those. I did post in the early days and then when this board appeared was against the format as it didn't arrive in my inbox, I actually had to go and search out what had been said  Shocked That said I soon got used to here and like it a lot. The list has been too quiet for a long time but has burst into life in the last few months and for me that is a great thing. OK if a lot is OT but from what has appeared in my OT inbox in the last day or so those discussions have been taken off list. Amazing what can be done with self moderation  Lips Sealed

I hope you are both here and there in a month's time.

welcome again

MikeC (welcome mod to new members)

AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2006, 06:59:37 AM »

Both TAW and The List have their pros and cons, group of common posters, and (I suspect) even larger group of lurkers. Both are friendly, provided the norms are observed. TAW is probably easier for people with lesser mail clients or skills to cope with, and is more ah, diverse, especially in the Corporation Arms. Though I have hopes that the recently revigorated Off Topic list will become equally entertaining.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »

Both TAW and The List have their pros and cons, group of common posters, and (I suspect) even larger group of lurkers. Both are friendly, provided the norms are observed. TAW is probably easier for people with lesser mail clients or skills to cope with, and is more ah, diverse, especially in the Corporation Arms. Though I have hopes that the recently revigorated Off Topic list will become equally entertaining.

Who are you calling "lesser", sunbeam!  Wink

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2006, 11:55:35 PM »

AND who are you calling "common', pal?  Grin

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
mikec
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2006, 12:18:26 AM »

joining in  Wink

who are you calling a con sunshine  Shocked I'm an upstanding pillar of the community.  Fez

AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2006, 03:07:47 AM »

Oh dear, my apologies, and there are more words in there to be misconstrued. It won't be long, I'm sure.

tarda: by "lesser" I meant that if  you or your mail client can't cope with upwards of 200 messages a day, you'll be struggling to stay afloat.

Anji: By "common posters" I meant "people who post to one or both the lists and Talkawhile". Dare I say that you are remarkably uncommon? Yes, I never did know when to stop digging.

mikec: Err, if the cap fits? (Ducks)

Until a week ago, I had thought that the List was a fairly quiet place with some gentle FC related conversation, and until a couple of days ago didn't know about the Off Topic list. Both are very lively at present, with reviews, musical discussions, vigorous disputes, while the off tic list has humour, serious debates, amazing personal revelations, and terminology which would have moderators' axes cutting  posts and topics (while wishing for necks). Both are greatly entertaining and hugely informative.

Sadly, just as all three places are bubbling away nicely, I find that I have too many other things that I have to do, and must cut back on all of them. One last trawl through Talkawhile, and then thats me off the air for a while.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: