TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:01:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possibly opening a can of worms?  (Read 32940 times)
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 08:23:32 PM »

Been listening to GoG today in the car after reading this thread yesterday.  The one track I really like is track two, "Lay me down easy"? The others are pleasant enough.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 08:44:47 PM »

Y'know, i  bet lots of us have dug out Gottle and played it again after reading this thread.

Although my replay only confirmed my dislike - I might just try the old " have eight pints and listen through a fog of good will" trick. It usually works with the pub bore so here goes - off to the Corporation Arms...................

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 11:41:53 AM »

D'you know - I was going to give you my stock " Gottle " review - one word - four letters - starts with "s" and ends in"t", that's how strong peple feel about it.

As an album, it is quite ShorT, yes.  Hang on, that's 5 letters...

MH

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »

I think G o G is better than it´s acquired reputation. It´s not a "typical Fairport" album but if Swarb wanted to try another direction, why not. "When I first into this country" and "Lay me down easy" (any band´s anthem?) I truly enjoy and are better to my liking than other odd, not too good, Fairport tracks, like "Mr Lacey", a track I could never come to terms with.Especially interesting with the swirling organ sound on many G o G tracks (I´ve been out running this morning with G o G in my ears). Only album with that instrument, as far as I can remember  Roll Eyes! I do listen to G o G occasionally,  quite voluntarily actually. I regard it as yet another side of a very versatile band and their 37 year output. Is it possibly one of the more daring Fairport Convention musical projects to touch another thread?  Shocked The album seems at least to stir emotions  Wink
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
greglin (Gregg)
Folkcorp Guru

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 01:02:26 PM »

You know what they say - the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.........

This thread shows how many of us did buy GoG when it came out on CD - now, was that a first time buy, just to complete the FC collection, or because we hadn't heard it first ?

I say that 'cos i've just realised I knew I'd never get to like it when I had the album but still bought it on CD ! Strange........

NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 01:46:12 PM »

You know what they say - the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.........

This thread shows how many of us did buy GoG when it came out on CD - now, was that a first time buy, just to complete the FC collection, or because we hadn't heard it first ?

I say that 'cos i've just realised I knew I'd never get to like it when I had the album but still bought it on CD ! Strange........

It is interesting you would point that out (the repurchase of the G'oG album on CD), because I will fess up to having the same situation with the very first Fairport Convention album.  I'd listened to much of Fairport's output on my brother's vinyl collection, but the first, self-titled album was the first one I purchased for myself, knowing that I'd never seen it amongst my brother's albums.  I listened to it a few times, but never really quite felt that it gelled as a whole album, so I gave it to my
brother.  Then, years later, when I decided to get every FC album on CD, I repurchased it to try and give it another chance.  I like all of the songs that Judy did lead vocals on, but I once again took what I liked off of it and passed it along to my brother. 

Never even thought of giving up my CD of Gottle, so I guess I must be in a minority in preferring it to the first album.   I admit that is a short and slightly strange collection of things that don't have the weight of much of the band's output, but I think that I can enjoy the things that it has to offer.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 06:54:08 PM »

I thnk one of the reasons that I was never that enamoured with G o G was that Swarby, bless 'im, was never a great lyricist. "Rosie" worked, tho   Smiley
Am I alone in liking Limey's Lament?
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 07:14:22 PM »

Am I alone in liking Limey's Lament?

No, it's one of my favourites on the album as well (along with 'Don't Be Late', the tunes, 'When First'...).

It's also the one track from the album that actually outlived the Gottle touring line-up in the live set.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 07:59:17 PM »

I've heard of G O G but never seen it for sale anywhere. Any chance it'll be for sale at Cropredy, does anyone know or have influence in this area?

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 08:02:51 PM »

I got mine off Amazon, (or was it ebay?!)

Pleasant enough I reckon. Far from their best, but I'll still play it.

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2006, 10:37:39 PM »

I know GOG is hardly a classic, but please when compared to some of the dross the band have turned out (XXXV anyone?), at least it is original. Shocked

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2006, 11:23:04 PM »

well said that man

The Dude abides
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2006, 12:28:00 AM »

I know GOG is hardly a classic, but please when compared to some of the dross the band have turned out (XXXV anyone?), at least it is original. Shocked

Ok, ok, give me however many minutes, and I'll get back to you on this one... listening right now (first time, look I buy these cd's but don't always get round to playing them straight off Roll Eyes, I'm weird...that's fine Wink)

Back soon, but I have to say, first track nearly finished (Madeline) wow!!!! Brilliant!!!!

mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2006, 01:36:40 AM »

I'm back (didja miss me Wink)

Listened to XXXV all the way through now, err? woss supposed to be up with this one Huh Not packed with new stuff? Wasn't it an anniversary type of thingy release?
Lots of favourites of mine on there, The Happy Man, Portmeirion (not sure why it made me cry tonight though, doesn't usually), The Crowd (love that song) The Deserter (one of my all time favourites, can't possibly have too many recordings of that) etc...

New ones (to me) Madeline, *****, The Light of Day, *****, Everything But The Skirl, *****. (*****= 5/5 stars)
My Love Is In America, another one you can't have to many recordings of!

Nope, not convinced there's owt wrong with this one either Smiley  (You can keep trying though, what's next?) Wink

mic

Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2006, 09:22:56 AM »

I also rate XXXV.  But then again i think TWATW is a brilliant album.  It was TWATW tour that I first saw FC in concert and I thought they were brilliant and I have cursed myself for not taking any notice of them before, however I need to catch up further on early FC I have Angel Delight which has some great stuff on.

TWATW made me sit up and take notice of FC which then led me to Croppers!  NUff SAID! Grin

Not been for a while
greglin (Gregg)
Folkcorp Guru

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2006, 02:32:14 PM »

however I need to catch up further on early FC

oops - I'm gonna be Barry the Bore again, on my one man crusade ......................

Do listen to " Tippler's Tales" and " Bonny Bunch of Roses" if you want to go back the eariier stuff ( apart from the live albums which are alway a good compendium). TT and BBoR are perhaps two of the most immediate FC albums in terms of tunes etc, but I've never ever got tired of 'em. In fact, I'm gonna have another listen now.......................

Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2006, 04:33:34 PM »

I'm back (didja miss me Wink)

Listened to XXXV all the way through now, err? woss supposed to be up with this one Huh Not packed with new stuff? Wasn't it an anniversary type of thingy release?
Lots of favourites of mine on there, The Happy Man, Portmeirion (not sure why it made me cry tonight though, doesn't usually), The Crowd (love that song) The Deserter (one of my all time favourites, can't possibly have too many recordings of that) etc...

New ones (to me) Madeline, *****, The Light of Day, *****, Everything But The Skirl, *****. (*****= 5/5 stars)
My Love Is In America, another one you can't have to many recordings of!

Nope, not convinced there's owt wrong with this one either Smiley  (You can keep trying though, what's next?) Wink

mic

Which poses the question that should have been asked in the first place:

Mic,
Is there an album by Fairport that you DON'T like?
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2006, 10:14:24 PM »

Why wileytown.... I do believe you may be onto something there Grin Grin

but, I keep looking Wink Wink

mic

musiclover
Reporting from the colonies

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2006, 04:35:48 PM »

I was introduced to Fairport with their CD (XXXV) and simply loved it!!!  Roll Eyes

My favorite (My Love Is In America).  Kiss

I agree with you Mic ( on this one) I think it's good music. Smiley

Across the evening sky--all the birds are leaving.
How do they know--when it's time for them to go?
x

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2006, 04:48:44 PM »

I was introduced to Fairport with their CD (XXXV) and simply loved it!!!  Roll Eyes

My favorite (My Love Is In America).  Kiss

I agree with you Mic ( on this one) I think it's good music. Smiley

hi musiclover,
congrats on your good taste!!  uk's very own shirley collins is doing a concert tour at the moment with a show entitled 'america across the water'
i don't know if a cd will be issued but you can check it out on www.shirleycollins.com
i'm off to see her next weekend in hastings. i'll get some info if i can
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: