TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:46:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possibly opening a can of worms?  (Read 32944 times)
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« on: April 15, 2006, 05:02:45 PM »

I seen posts, in the past, that speak negatively of Gottle of Gear. Couldn't comment, because I'd never heard it, however, I am now the proud owner of the aforesaid CD...
What is there not to like Huh  I've now listened 2 or 3 times, I think it's great!!!  Am I missing something Undecided

mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 06:27:43 PM »

i think that the thing with Gottle when it came out was how different it was from the preceeding lp's
a lot of people were disappointed at the time, and i didnt listen to it for years until as a sad completist b*****d i bought it on cd
and was pleasantly surprised at how well it had aged, i dont hate it anymore, its still not a fave but im quite fond of "fairport's" only cd

The Dude abides
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 10:40:37 AM »

I like Frog Up The Pump. Grin

And why did they decide to call themselves Fairport and not Fairport Convention? Huh
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 03:03:36 PM »

i was going to say something terribly rude, but my better judgement has prevailed
i think at the time Swarb and peggy were struggling with the fairport name seeing as simon had
gone and was becoming a star producer and guitarist in'th albions
 they were ,i believe, at one point consdering a name change to the furry freak brothers
but i think there was a legal problem with that name, so to compromise they dropped the "convention"
well eveyone just calls them fairport in any case

The Dude abides
Ian FM

Loc: Lurking hereabouts

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 08:32:30 PM »

I seem to remember once reading somewhere that GOG was originally intended as a Swarb solo album (hence the one-off lineup), but although FC had more or less split up after "Rising For The Moon", they were still under contract to produce one more album for Island Records, and Peggy & Swarb being unsure as to whether or not to carry on with the band, released the album under the name of "Fairport", as a way of fulfilling their obligation to Island, whose relationship with the band was, apparently, somewhat less than cosy by this time...

By the way, Hello everyone and roll on August 10th!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:36:11 PM »

that sounds about right

The Dude abides
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 08:38:34 PM »

Hi Angus and welcome!

Something happening in August then? Oh yes, so there is!! Grin

Jude (new person welcomer and helloeeer) Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 09:14:02 PM »

I seem to remember once reading somewhere that GOG was originally intended as a Swarb solo album

That's a familiar bit of information, (I've cone across it in two or three places) but it's always struck me as a bit of an odd Swarb album as well. It doesn't sit easily with the rest of his solo work.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 10:17:16 PM »

I think I recall Swarb saying something in Melody Maker along the lines of "It was an experiment.  It didn't work.  It was my fault"  I think there may be something in Humphries tome about it, but neither of my copies are to hand.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 10:36:57 PM »

I seem to remember once reading somewhere that GOG was originally intended as a Swarb solo album (hence the one-off lineup), but although FC had more or less split up after "Rising For The Moon", they were still under contract to produce one more album for Island Records, and Peggy & Swarb being unsure as to whether or not to carry on with the band, released the album under the name of "Fairport", as a way of fulfilling their obligation to Island, whose relationship with the band was, apparently, somewhat less than cosy by this time...

By the way, Hello everyone and roll on August 10th!

hello angus prune, fantastic name!

it'll be fine.......
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 10:50:47 PM »

I think Humphrey's biography hit it right on the nose.  It was like ROSIE all over again, only this time w/o Trevor & Jerry (or Richard & Sandy for that matter) to rescue it.  I recall seeing it for the first time in a used record store when I was actively pursuing Fairport's back catalog in the early 80s (before the Hannibal reissues).  Even back then, I thought, "naw, better pass on this one."  It happened that a friend bought it later, and upon listening, felt very pleased with my instincts!  I do own it on disc now, but only after encountering it at a reasonable enough price to justify never having to listen to it. Cheesy
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 10:59:05 PM »

Nope, you haven't convinced me Wink
Still think it's great Grin Grin

mic

Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 11:11:34 PM »

mic

Cheers! Smiley
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 11:13:13 PM »

Oh yes, Rosie?   Lurve that album Grin Grin Yet another can of worms perhaps Wink

mic

greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 12:15:33 AM »

mic

D'you know - I was going to give you my stock " Gottle " review - one word - four letters - starts with "s" and ends in"t", that's how strong peple feel about it. HOWEVER - I dug it out of the lead lined box, took off the childproof cover - removed the "dangerous" sicker, and gave it a quick spin.....................................................after another ( mercifully quick ) listen, my considered opinion is still s**t. It's just not a Fairport album. The songs are not geat - the production is lacklustre and the whole feel lacks heart - back into the box with a " Do Not Open Until Accrington Stanley win the premiership2 sticker............................sorry Mix

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 12:23:03 AM »

Apologies unecessary greglin Grin Each to their own, if we all liked the same things etc etc...
I'm just interested to know what it is that folks don't like about it. It's not your typical Fairport, yep, I'll agree with that. But that alone doesn't make it bad.
 I can't help it, people have been telling me for years that I'm weird (and other not so complimentary things), but I really really like it Roll Eyes

mic Cheesy

greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 10:12:28 AM »

Anyway.......................

Mix, to get back to Gottle - I have tried to listen to it a number of times over the years - even to the point of tying my wrists to the chair so I can't take it off until it's been played right through. And I still don't like it. It falls into a sort of nowhere land - and I have to be honest and say that I never did really identify with that version of FC at all anyway - too West Coast for my liking.

Probably understand where I'm coming from when I say that Rosie is my next "least favourite " album - and that I only very occasionally go back to "Holdays" and / or Unhalfbricking.

We could try a cCropredy experiment - havd Gottle playing for a prolongd period of time in an area of the field and see if it atracts or drives eople aay

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 10:37:11 AM »

I think that G o G has to be the only FC disc that has never had any of its tracks performed at Cropredy.

Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »

I think that G o G has to be the only FC disc that has never had any of its tracks performed at Cropredy.

That's shame Wink Roll Eyes Wink

Anyway.......................

Mix, to get back to Gottle - I have tried to listen to it a number of times over the years - even to the point of tying my wrists to the chair so I can't take it off until it's been played right through. And I still don't like it. It falls into a sort of nowhere land - and I have to be honest and say that I never did really identify with that version of FC at all anyway - too West Coast for my liking.

Probably understand where I'm coming from when I say that Rosie is my next "least favourite " album - and that I only very occasionally go back to "Holdays" and / or Unhalfbricking.

We could try a cCropredy experiment - havd Gottle playing for a prolongd period of time in an area of the field and see if it atracts or drives eople aay

Well if nowt else it would get me a space all to myself on the field Grin Grin

mic

Marky

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent

Back Wom

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 07:32:30 PM »

I thnk one of the reasons that I was never that enamoured with G o G was that Swarby, bless 'im, was never a great lyricist. "Rosie" worked, tho   Smiley

Keep your glow on...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: