TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:12:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour reviews  (Read 60584 times)
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2008, 09:44:28 AM »

Thanks for that JJ - can't wait for tonight! Grin

Simon practising his Welsh, eh? That should be interesting. Cool

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2008, 10:50:17 AM »

Well, this was my 4th Wintour and it was by far the best. AJC was OK, but not really my cup of tea. Very funny tho!

Fairport were amazing. Cheesy  Faultless performance (apart from the sound was very muddy at the beginning, but that's the Corn Exhange's fault) and all the band were on top form. Great banter between them. Simon seemed to be away with the faeries! He did a very long intro to one song, and when we thought he'd finished, he forgot how it started, and had a bit of a ramble again. The look on Ric's face was priceless  Grin Chris was in fine voice, the best I've heard him. I'll post a better review in the spoilers, as I can mention song names. If you haven't got tickets yet, GET THEM NOW. You won't be disappointed.

Ollie

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2008, 10:55:48 AM »

I'll be there on Monday. I'm worried about being disappointed in the band. I'm worried about them being disappointed in us!  Undecided
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2008, 10:07:14 AM »

Pontardawe last night was extremely enjoyable. Wendy, me, Pippa and Pippa's friend Becky joined Gower Flower and daughter-of, plus PauleD of these parts in the downstairs (unseated) part of the hall.  Whilst those seated in the gallery no doubt had a great time, our position was somewhat better, IMHO.

A lovely chat with simon started our evening, he is a gracious and unpretentious man whose talent makes his demeanour all the more suprising to the usually cynical amongst us.

Anthony John Clark was very amusing and his songs were highly entertaining. We met and chatted with him and wife Julia later on, another unjustifiably modest man.

The chaps setlist was much as before, albeit with some drunken fool shouting out for Matty Groves (the only song that the chaps sing everynight, after all) from almost the first moment. Ric dealt kindly with him, as did Simon. Later on more audience entertainment ensued, which I will leave Shirley to describe Grin

Wendy and I prefer the folk-rolk numbers to the slow stuff which predominated the first set, the Babbacombe Lee songs were great to hear and when Simon gets going on his geetar, there ain't no stopping everyone from getting into that groove.

Peggy was on top form, too. And Simon told a new "joke", which he asked to be written down. No, Simon, just put it down and don't pick it up again! Grin

Gerry was on fine form too behind his bright red kit (is that new? Don't remember seeing it at Cropredy), Chris weighed in with his usual terrific contribution and all-in-all, a great time was had by all.

In a quick chat I asked Simon about the possible return of the screen at Cropredy. He said that a lot depends upon ticket sales (March 1st, ladies and gents) but if it does reappear this year it may only be for back projection of films, as live camera work requires live cameramen - who don't work for free! He also said that costs are really kept as low as possible in order to live within a budget - so if we want screens, be prepared for another £1 on the ticket next year. I also enquired as to the mystery Irish guest and he was kind enough to confirm that it isn't the Corrs! Grin

Thanks chaps, the DVD will get played tonight.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2008, 10:33:04 AM »

I also enquired as to the mystery Irish guest and he was kind enough to confirm that it isn't the Corrs! Grin

Such a pity. I am always impressed by their talent.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2008, 10:52:59 AM »

I'll be there on Monday. I'm worried about being disappointed in the band. I'm worried about them being disappointed in us!  Undecided

I've just noticed a rather glaring error in my comment above. It should have been "I'm not worried about being disappointed in the band. I'm worried about them being disappointed in us!" Oops.  Embarrassed
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2008, 01:15:49 PM »

I've just noticed a rather glaring error in my comment above. It should have been "I'm not worried about being disappointed in the band. I'm worried about them being disappointed in us!" Oops.  Embarrassed

I did wonder about that, GubGub: I was worried that you were worrying a bit too much!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2008, 02:15:28 PM »

I did wonder about that, GubGub: I was worried that you were worrying a bit too much!

Grin Sounds like me!
angie j
n3wb

Loc: Ynyswen Powys

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »

Hi to everyone. Im a newcomer to the site but not a newcomer to Fairport Im pleased to say.

Just wanted to say a big thank you again to the band for a tremendous set at Pontardawe last night! Thouroughly enjoyed every second of the concert and having been to Cropredy several times (which in itself is a fantastic experience) it was equally fantastic to be able to get up so "close and personal" to the band  in what turned out to be (in my opinion) a most excellent and truly intimate venue.

My only fear and worry is that I may have been the drunken idiot Andy (Leslie) refers to! I hope I wasn't but if it was a blonde bespectacled drunk then please accept my apologies - although I hope my enthusiasm (albeit alcohol induced!) for the tune in question can be forgiven this once, since  it is not only one of my all time favourites but also one which got me hooked me on the band and their music in the first place.

Looking forward to Cropredy and gald to be counting the days! Wink

ffwrdd a ni i cropredy - with our picnic  blanket! but far from us to make a fuss,  as to where we plant it...!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2008, 08:29:22 PM »

Well that was a jolly good night out!

A wonderful time was had by all at the Arts Centre last night. Fairport deservedly received rapturous applause.

It was very pleasant to chat with Simon before the gig. He was interested to hear what we thought of the Cropredy line-up. Good of him to take such an interest. We also chatted about the DVD. “I’ve spent two hours in the office this morning, sending them out” he said. Blimey! The rock-star life, eh? Wink

The evening kicked off with an amusing set by Anthony John Clarke.  Very early on he said “So, the rugby went well then?” This was met by roars of approval from the audience. He had them in the palm of his hand.

An interesting and innovative set was presented as Fairport trawled through the back catalogue.

I won’t post set list details – it’s all there in the Spoilers Thread. Chris Leslie thrilled with a rendition of a Fairport classic which I have not heard him sing before. Some songs not heard live in many a year were in place, and of course some more recent material from the latest CD was included.

The musicianship was of the highest order, the humour was well-worn (the rugby remark was repeated, to more roars of approval)

The Chaps looked to be having a thoroughly good time too – let’s hope they come back.

On a personal note, this wonderful evening was just what I needed after a very difficult week. Music eh? What would we do without it?

“Long may you keep it live, and always play it well.”

Thanks Chaps. Kiss

(p.s. thank you Peggy for the dedication!)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 08:40:31 PM by gower flower » Logged

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »

My only fear and worry is that I may have been the drunken idiot Andy (Leslie) refers to! I hope I wasn't

Are you referring to this?
The chaps setlist was much as before, albeit with some drunken fool shouting out for Matty Groves (the only song that the chaps sing everynight, after all) from almost the first moment.

If so, let this lay your fears to rest:
Ric dealt kindly with him, as did Simon.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2008, 08:41:11 PM »

Just wanted to say a big thank you again to the band for a tremendous set at Pontardawe last night! Thouroughly enjoyed
My only fear and worry is that I may have been the drunken idiot Andy (Leslie) refers to!

Not at all, unless you're a burly bloke who kept on shouting out "Matty Groves!" between every song. Which you're not. Obviously. Welcome to the board and please stick around - we're a friendly bunch....

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2008, 08:41:25 PM »

Angie - are you the lady who insisted on dancing with me and Amy? LOL!

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2008, 08:41:43 PM »

Globbits  Angry
Can't get to Worthing tomorrow. It will have to be Croydon.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »

I almost forgot that we met up with Martin Driver too, nice to see you again, mate.

Banger

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2008, 09:35:09 PM »

not me gower flower! must have been another drunken blonde!
Banger

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2008, 09:45:28 PM »

Whoops my wife has posted on my user name.  Embarrassed Angie j was the drunken blonde - not me.... and if anyone was wondering I wasn't the drunken burley bloke calling for Matty Groves. He was steading behind me - he had a head like an egg.  

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2008, 11:41:11 PM »

Worthing review posted on the Wintour spoilers thread because I wanted to mention specific songs. If you don't want to know the answers, look away now..... Smiley
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2008, 03:35:24 PM »

Fairport review Wellingborough 13/2/08

Why do we do it?

Why did we drive almost 90 miles each way to see this band?

Why did we set off later than we should have, thinking that two hours would give us plenty of time.. only to find the traffic on the M1 was crawling along for miles and miles.. and then to be enveloped in fog!

What is there about this time of year that gets us all excited and determined to put ourselves through this to see our favourite band?

It could have been worse.. the weather might been snowy or windy or rainy or icy.. but it was just foggy.. yuk!  At least we got there.. the Tomtom (John Cleese) was very useful.. we found The Castle (venue) and slipped into our seats just as Ric finished introducing Anthony John Clarke.. never been that late before! And it was at that moment that I knew why we travel for Fairport!  They always deliver.. as simple as that.. they are magic!  AJC was an excellent choice of support.. very relaxed, his set was well worth a second sitting.

Then the band came on and here we were.. enthralled again as we have been so many times before..  I will mention set highlights in the Spoilers thread.. but wow.. there were some stunners!

During the interval we looked around to play ‘spot the TAWer’.. there was only one that we knew (Chris Bates) .. so we had a chat.  We met the lovely Vo Fletcher too and talked re the RSG gigs.  Our seats on the second row gave us a superb view.. pity we didn’t have the camera with us!

After the show we chatted to each of the chaps.. Chris was delighted when I told him that the Aggies had won the Best Live Act Hancock.. I hope he knew what I was talking about! Ric asked when he is next playing for us.. and I told him the wrong date!  Simon said they would have to alter the set list for the Chesterfield gig as that’s where we will be!

The programme has some interesting items within its pages..  the countdown to Cropredy 07 is fascinating.  What a nightmare those floods caused Gareth Williams and the rest of the organisation.. but good to be reassured that they had viable contingency plans all in place!

Then as ever, all too soon we were out again into the night for the long foggy drive home… 90 miles went by sans hitch and the cats shot out of the house as soon as we opened the door at 1am. Safely home with a very memorable evening behind us.. and two more to come on this tour!!  Thanks Chaps!

Grin Kiss Grin Kiss Grin Kiss

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2008, 02:02:56 AM »

We had a great night at Canterbury tonight.  It was very different to Tunbridge Wells - different set list, different sound, different jokes and a different atmosphere altogether.  I loved every song and and every tune. Cool
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: