TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:26:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD  (Read 182488 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #300 on: March 06, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »

I ordered my copy from the website on the 23rd, and it hasn't turned up yet.  Should I be concerned yet?

I had a little snafu on mine-ordered maybe the first week of February, and got confirmation via Paypal, but waited 3 weeks with no sign of it. Contacted Gareth at the office who immediately took care of it, and I got my copy on Friday. Being in the UK yourself, I think it is worth inquiring about.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #301 on: March 09, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »

Dropped him a line today as it still hadn't arrived, after two weeks, and he said that Paypal hadn't forwarded the order to him, but that a copy will be in the post today.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #302 on: March 09, 2017, 04:12:26 PM »

Basically what happened to me too. Glad you got it sorted. I hated to bother him but he was very helpful and took care of it right away so he gets a huge thumbs up for that.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #303 on: March 09, 2017, 06:47:20 PM »

We'll, Robin Denselow likes it...4 star review in the Grauniad.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Greg E

« Reply #304 on: March 10, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »

Can anyone tell for sure if Chris is playing a 5 string banjo on the 'Lady Of Carlisle' ? (does it say in the liner notes? - I'm listening on Spotify)  I'm pretty sure he is playing more of a clawhammer style on this track but I have only ever seen Chris play a Tenor (4 string) Banjo before. I'm interested as I'm learning it at the moment.
cheers

Best 'new' track on the album by the way Smiley
I wish they would do more trad arr.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #305 on: March 10, 2017, 04:17:28 PM »

Sleeve notes credit Chris with "banjo" - no further detail, I'm afraid.

Flobbadob!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #306 on: March 10, 2017, 10:29:32 PM »

Listened now on Spotify and my thoughts:

As far  the new songs are concerned Lady Eleanor's Dream is ok but forgettable, Step by Step typical Chris whimsy and the track with Jacqui is pretty good but doesn't really go,anywhere. Otherwise the new additions are uniformly dreadful - Devils Work, Our Bus and Summer by the Cherwell are all very poor and whilst one can accept on such novelty track on an album to have three is very poor decision making by FC, are these really the best they could come up with?

Thankfully the live stuff is much stronger and represents a good selection of the back catalogue but as they did their "favourites" album a few years ago with the 45 cd no real surprises are forthcoming, and probably not expected.

I understand this is what Fairport is now in terms of instrumental  style and gentle approach - and that is fine, I am a big fan of Chris Leslie - but that does not mean they should let the standard of song slip as badly as they have on this, a celebration of the 50th anniversary. Once again one cannot fault the musicianship on show, the production is as good as any recent album but the material is a real let down.

DW

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #307 on: March 16, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »

Repeat after me...'Nicol', 'Sanders'... http://theafterword.co.uk/fairport-convention-505050/  Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #308 on: March 16, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »

Repeat after me...'Nicol', 'Sanders'... http://theafterword.co.uk/fairport-convention-505050/  Fez

By any stretch of the imagination that is dreadful writing.

DW
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #309 on: March 17, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »

It took me quite a few listens before I noticed that The Lady of Carlisle is fundamentally the same story as the Lady with a Fan section of the Grateful Dead's Terrapin Station.
PJayBe

« Reply #310 on: March 17, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »

It took me quite a few listens before I noticed that The Lady of Carlisle is fundamentally the same story as the Lady with a Fan section of the Grateful Dead's Terrapin Station.

Robert Hunter did Lady Of Carlisle on his Jack O'Roses album which featured his version of the full Terrapin Suite. Great song.

Box Of Rain (Hunter/Lesh)
Reuben And Cerise (Garcia/Hunter)
Talkin' Money Tree (Hunter)
Friend Of The Devil (Dawson/Garcia/Hunter)
Delia DeLyon And Stagger Lee (Hunter)
Lady Of Carlisle (Traditional)
Book Of Daniel (Hunter / Freiberg)
Terrapin :
     i) Lady With A Fan (Garcia/Hunter)
     ii) Terrapin Station (Garcia/Hunter)
     iii) Ivory Wheels/Rosewood Track (Hunter)
     iv) Jack O' Roses (Hunter)
Prodigal Town (Hunter)
Bernie

« Reply #311 on: March 20, 2017, 02:11:04 AM »

Goodness Me!  The bus rolls on. A bit of light entertainment.  Even the Beatles did it with Yellow Submarine.  For goodness sake they have to a  bit of a break from thr hard core   We remember Sandy  crowd.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #312 on: March 20, 2017, 07:13:32 AM »

Goodness Me!  The bus rolls on. A bit of light entertainment.  Even the Beatles did it with Yellow Submarine.  For goodness sake they have to a  bit of a break from thr hard core   We remember Sandy  crowd.

Have a 'bit of a break from the hardcore' by all means, but just don't record and release it.
The 'Cherwell' one is equally dire too.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:31:26 AM by Henry Tompkins (Pete) » Logged

No Left Turn Unstoned
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »

But when the new album is dominated by "light entertainment" it becomes a problem.

DW
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »

IMHO I just think you are all being hyper critical. That is all

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »

And someone said they thought The Dead were too niche to do a poll on this forum. I'm guessing not!
We all know Ric enjoys wearing his Dead tee's with pride. Nice to see a bit of other influences creeping in.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »

You don't have to buy it.....

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »

As we are entitled to be. And it is not just the "we miss Sandy" brigade. I never saw or consciously heard the band until 1989 and there are a number of songs from that era that I regard as below par alongside many which I love but there has never been an album that contained quite such an overwhelming whiff of novelty, jocular, lightweight songs amongst the new material. It has no substance, which in the year of such a significant anniversary is a very strange decision. That was not the case with the previous two albums imho. They were flawed as the recent TAW poll reflects but I liked at least two thirds of each of them.

With the new album, take away the live material (which I will concede is enjoyable but unremarkable), one song sounds authentic but is unmemorable, one is pretty, one is a stodgy instrumental remake,  three are as discussed above, which leaves two to make their impact through the guests vocalists, which they do reasonably successfully but it is a poor return on investment, financial or emotional, overall.

I actually would be quite happy at this point for Fairport to never make another album but just to continue as a live unit, which is surely the primary source of their income. I suspect that they probably feel the same.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2017, 11:34:04 AM »

And someone said they thought The Dead were too niche to do a poll on this forum. I'm guessing not!

Set one up and find out.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »

As we are entitled to be. And it is not just the "we miss Sandy" brigade. I never saw or consciously heard the band until 1989 and there are a number of songs from that era that I regard as below par alongside many which I love but there has never been an album that contained quite such an overwhelming whiff of novelty, jocular, lightweight songs amongst the new material. It has no substance, which in the year of such a significant anniversary is a very strange decision. That was not the case with the previous two albums imho. They were flawed as the recent TAW poll reflects but I liked at least two thirds of each of them.

With the new album, take away the live material (which I will concede is enjoyable but unremarkable), one song sounds authentic but is unmemorable, one is pretty, one is a stodgy instrumental remake,  three are as discussed above, which leaves two to make their impact through the guests vocalists, which they do reasonably successfully but it is a poor return on investment, financial or emotional, overall.no

I actually would be quite happy at this point for Fairport to never make another album but just to continue as a live unit, which is surely the primary source of their income. I suspect that they probably feel the same.

Wise words

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: