TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:52:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTB "Dream Attics" UK tour dates.  (Read 50286 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2011, 11:48:23 AM »

Row J's ok with the aisle in front of you.....now you can book online & choose your seats it's ok if you get in quick.

Maart
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Northwest Wales

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »

Yes, it's a fair cop. We were at the gig in Salford Lowry on Saturday night with our friends Desi and Julie Friel (Anna's mam and dad). Somehow Desi and Julie have managed to miss RT live until now, but they were knocked out. Desi almost literally backstage when he tripped over a clothes rail sustaining a very nasty wrist sprain which necessitated a visit to A&E the next day.

Quite the best guitar gig I have EVER seen, and Pete Zorn was a total star too. They were all great. Standing ovation at the end. Still buzzing and I'll have to go see it again. Recommended.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »

Found a review of Friday night's gig. Can't say I agree with all of it but it looks like a web site where anyone can post.

http://www.thepublicreviews.com/the-richard-thompson-band-%E2%80%93-the-lowry-salford/

No-one has mentioned Joel Zifkin's contribution which, being an occasional fiddle player, I enjoyed. Only slight criticism is that there were times when both he and Pete were playing identical melodies which I didn't think worked too well. I'm trying to think if RT has toured with a fiddler player before. Certainly not that I've seen in the last 20 years. Only seen him and Swarb on stage at Cropredy.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »

Yes, it's a fair cop. We were at the gig in Salford Lowry on Saturday night with our friends Desi and Julie Friel (Anna's mam and dad). Somehow Desi and Julie have managed to miss RT live until now, but they were knocked out. Desi almost literally backstage when he tripped over a clothes rail sustaining a very nasty wrist sprain which necessitated a visit to A&E the next day.

Quite the best guitar gig I have EVER seen, and Pete Zorn was a total star too. They were all great. Standing ovation at the end. Still buzzing and I'll have to go see it again. Recommended.

Can't get a better endorsement than that...excitement is mounting for February 1st !
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »

Can't get a better endorsement than that...excitement is mounting for February 1st !

And 3rd!
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »

I noticed he's playing Carnegie Hall so I had a look round the site. Found this interesting video of how they assemble the seating and stage he's playing on.

http://www.carnegiehall.org/SiteCode/Media/MediaPlayer.aspx?itemtoplay=zankel_lrg&xmlfilename=/media/zankel/zankelXML.xml&playlist=zankel

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2011, 08:22:42 PM »

And 3rd!

And tomorrow! Just hoping that whatever has knocked my work colleagues out spares me for 24 hours. First thing I did this evening when getting was to get the tickets out of the official ticket drawer.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »

Review of Friday at the Lowry. I went on Saturday and agree with Maart, and everyone else who has commented, RT was outstanding. I've seen RTB a handful of times but I've never been quite as blown away as on Saturday.

http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2011/01/review-the-richard-thompson-band-salford-lowry/
Tertonmike

Loc: Dublin

Still At It...

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 10:10:02 PM »

Coming over for the Bristol gig on 22nd as RT is not favouring us poor bog-trotting Paddies with his august presence this time.  Anyone else attending on Saturday...?

"Music is the antidote
To the world of pain and sorrow"
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »

Outstanding gig last night - played all bar one track of the new album in a 75 minute first-half. On great form, both guitar-wise & humour-wise. Sat just 5 feet from him in the front row.....astounding finger-work.

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:14 AM »

Dammit! Should have gone on Friday. Would have much preferred to have heard Bright Lights Tonight than Man In Need. I felt the latter was a strange one to end on and left things feeling a bit flat at the end. Oh well, can't win 'em all!

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2011, 10:04:56 AM »

I wonder whether Bright Lights got dropped because of the request for Al Bowlly?
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »

I think Al Bowlly was in the set anyway. I heard someone a few rows in front of me shout out "he played it last night". As he was doing 2 nights at the same venue he was perhaps just trying out different songs in the encore to see which went down better.

I know it's not heckling but he must be tempted sometimes to say, "Do I come to your place of work and shout things at you?"  Grin

spooley (Simon)

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »

Coming over for the Bristol gig on 22nd ....  Anyone else attending on Saturday...?

Yes: I'll be there with a couple of chums.  Front row, middle of the left hand side.

I'm disappointed to hear that Crimescene from the new album is a possible omission from the first part of the set (as reported from one of the earlier gigs) ... I love the way the solo bursts out somehow unexpectedly from the end of the chorus, a verse or two after the chorus with a first crescendo that would normally say: "Here comes the solo"!

Still, he can't leave out both Crimescene and Sidney Wells, so I'll still have at least one great favourite to anticipate.

Simon.
DaviD J (was geriatrix)

Loc: Bucks

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 02:52:24 PM »

Amazing gig at Aylesbury, really tight little band.

Sadly couldn't get much of a look at the astonishing Michael Jerome drumming, cos some old bloke in black with a light blue guitar was in the way. :-)

Really nice fiddling from a chap who looks just like Mr O'Reilly (the incompetent builder) from Fawlty Towers. Matching him at the other side of the stage was a Mr Pastry look-alike :-)

Makes a change to have an RT gig without either Vincent or Beeswing - hope he keeps on with Al Bowly though, it gives the bandmembers a good chance to stretch out (and show off!) Lovely new theatre, great sound from where we were sitting (row G) Would have liked a longer encore though...
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »

Another superlative show last night in London - and he finally played Crime Scene, while dropping Here Comes Geordie from the first set. So I've heard the whole album live on stage....that band is, I think, the tightest and best RT Band ever! Mike Jerome & Taras Prodaniuk were having a ball behind RT all night....

Mike Jerome is a complete beast on that drum-kit - just watching the beads of sweat form and start running during a serious work-out during Sidney Wells was just amazing....

This band Rocks! If you like your Folk-Rock more on the rock side of folk, just don't miss this tour as I'm not sure they'll be around again for a while (* but see below)

Managed to retrieve a set-list from a crew member last night (thanks Bobby!), here's what's printed on it....

Set 1
All tracks in CD running order
(he's been leaving at least one out each night)

Set 2
Time will Show the Wiser (with Bobby Eichorn on acoustic guitar last night)
Can't Win
One Door Opens
Al Bowlly
Never Give it Up
Wall of Death
Tear Stained Letter

Encores
Take Care the Road you Choose
Bright Lights Tonight
Man in Need

Generally, he perms any 2 from 3 for an encore - we got the first two last night, ably supported by Kami T on Bright Lights....

I've got tickets to two more shows on this tour - seriously considering a fifth night, it's just so good!

Dave Pegg was in the audience last night - here's hoping he takes some ideas on rocking it up back to Fairport....

* Nancy Covey had some postcards on the merch desk advertising a FestTours trip back to Cropredy 2012, the 45th anniversary. Including a side-trip to the Summer Olympics too....so get your warm-up tickets early next year, folks, or risk a sell-out!

So that's a shoe-In for RT next year then....let's just HOPE he brings this band with him. Please.

Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »

It was amazingly good at the RFH last night, as Chris says. Really nothing else to add - except that I thought we had The Angels Took My Racehorse Away - hence his comment about Warner Bros lowest selling album.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »

We did. It wasn't on that set-list.....sorry

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2011, 05:18:25 PM »

Set 2
Time will Show the Wiser

Oh this is getting depressing now. I would have LOVED to have heard than one!

Sad

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2011, 06:49:51 PM »

On the plus side it's great to have Dream Attic to listen to after the gig. How often do you have a live recording of what you've just heard in concert? Haul Me Up was another highlight and one you really want to be on your feet for. One for the 'RT Rocks' compilation.

It was interesting to learn that Burning Man was inspired by the Burning Man festival (is that right?) in the States. I'd love to see the wheel of sin!

Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: