TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour reviews and photos  (Read 119541 times)
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2006, 10:37:01 AM »

I'm not sure about the black  studs (!!), but he's wearing red plastic or rubber (very comfoirtable, he says) sandals - which would explain the vision of his toes.

I'll ask him tonight, if I get a chance....

I'd always assumed that the red sandals were part of the effects pedal setup - not just footwear.

Steve
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2006, 12:07:36 PM »

I get a bit frustrated at seated gigs sometimes because it would be good to dance 

I don't normally feel like that but I certainly did the other evening at Tunbridge Wells.  I guess I wasn't the only one.  At one point our row of seats was rocking so much I thought the poor woman on the end was in danger of being bounced into the aisle!  Shocked

From what I remember, downstairs at the Corn Exchange in Cambridge is unseated.

As I didn't especially want to spend £20 on a very nice T shirt which would only be useful as nightwear for an urangutan, I passed

I presume you were considering the long-sleeve version as the ordinary t-shirts were £15 at TW.  I think a fitted t-shirt would be the answer for most women.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it though.   Smiley

KM
(Normal transmission has resumed - I have at last come down from my HIGH!)  Grin
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »

In my role as Imelda Marcos wannabe (I currently have something in the region of 60 pairs of shoes) and shoe-inspector to the stars, I managed to get hold of Ric's aforementioned footwear after the High Wycombe gig last night (I pulled them off his feet in the foyer!).  They are red, rubber and extremely lightweight. The black is not studs - they are holes in the shoes where you can see his socks.   Ric informs me that they are extremely comfortable to wear and it feels like "walking on air".  I did give them back to him after I'd inspected them and I will take his word for it on the comfort front. 

The gig itself was excellent.  I just wish somebody would teach PJ Wright the words to "Meet On The Ledge" though as I've seen the show twice now and he's fluffed it on both occasions.  I'm very happy with the show - choice of songs and the way that they are played. 

As for Peggy and co looking miserable, I am afraid that I have to disagree.  He looks like Peggy concentrating.  I went back and inspected photographs I've taken over the last couple of years and he looks like that in the majority of them.  To me it is an expression of concentration and I can't see any misery etc there at all.  In fact, I'd say that the fellas are more "together" this year than they have been in previous years.  I think that some of you may be reading far more into one photograph than is necessary; I could redress the balance by posting a picture of a smiling Peggy from the show last night and see what the reaction is. Wink

I would hazard a guess that Tewkesbury was a nerve-wracking gig for them: first night of the tour, a different set, first night nerves and so they are bound to be concentrating more whilst they perform.  Again, I think too much is being read into it.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2006, 02:18:20 PM »

I would hazard a guess that Tewkesbury was a nerve-wracking gig for them: first night of the tour, a different set, first night nerves and so they are bound to be concentrating more whilst they perform.  Again, I think too much is being read into it.

Couldn't agree more. We've managed to catch the chaps on first nights, and then later, in a few tours and there is a  noticable relaxation as things come together - each gig is great in its own way, but different.............

I suspect(from a throwaway remark at the post-Tewkesbury signfest and the fact that he played from a seated postion quite a bit) that Peggy may have a bit of a back issue - but that's entirely his business and certainly didn't take from a superb performance.

Steve
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2006, 03:21:26 PM »

A question, for the observant who have already been to a gig...

Does Peggy play his gorgeous blue bass guitar at all?  I notice from the photo earlier that he's got a new wooden-looking one...  Also, does anyone know what make/model that one is?

I'm dragging a bassist friend along and he's got a Crafter 5-string very similar-looking to the blue one, which is why I was hoping it'd be on display...

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2006, 03:36:34 PM »

Anna, I think that is the Crafter 5 string that was presented to him by Crafter at Cropredy last year.  (But I could be wrong of course)

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2006, 03:44:58 PM »

I suspect(from a throwaway remark at the post-Tewkesbury signfest and the fact that he played from a seated postion quite a bit) that Peggy may have a bit of a back issue - .

Steve

Having a heavy bass slung over your shoulders nearly every day for nearly forty years sounds enough to give anyone back trouble Smiley
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2006, 05:52:40 PM »

Peggy did mention back trouble to a group of us after the show last night.  He was talking about his new bass as well.  I think Bluebottle will have to fill you in on the technical spec of it as bass-talk tends to whoosh right over my head.

Anna: he has a lovely two-tone coloured pine bass.  I think it was the one presented at Cropredy last year but I'm also sure I counted six strings on it. I will consult my photographs and let you know.
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2006, 07:40:03 PM »

No one appears to have mentioned the new Chris Leslie song 'Edge of the World' ?  Well, I'm no clever music reviewer worsdmith, but I can just say I thought it was great!! Looking forward to it appearing on a recording one day.    All in all, the Wycombe Swan gig last night was a lovely evening, both PJ and the lads performed great. Nice to meet a few 'Talkawhilers' too, great photos Chris on the CD and in the programme.   cheers, Joss
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2006, 10:35:03 PM »

I'm not sure about the black  studs (!!), but he's wearing red plastic or rubber (very comfoirtable, he says) sandals - which would explain the vision of his toes.

The black is not studs - they are holes in the shoes where you can see his socks.

Sandals and socks - a true folkie then!  Wink    Smiley
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2006, 07:23:02 AM »

I could redress the balance by posting a picture of a smiling Peggy from the show last night and see what the reaction is

Go on then!

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2006, 11:11:43 PM »

Okay peeps...

CAMBRIDGE FC GIG

Anyone interested in a meet-up prior to the gig, please IM with suggestions.

I know that Mic, Delfini, Martin Driver, Adrian and Pastieboy and Pastiemum will be there. Any others interested?

Get in touch and we can finalise details Grin

Gower Flower

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2006, 11:13:34 PM »

Is that Pastiemum or Pastiegirl GF...  both are lovely laydeeeeeezzzz....

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »

Okay peeps...

CAMBRIDGE FC GIG

Anyone interested in a meet-up prior to the gig, please IM with suggestions.

I know that Mic, Delfini, Martin Driver, Adrian and Pastieboy and Pastiemum will be there. Any others interested?

Get in touch and we can finalise details Grin

Gower Flower

How about 6ish at the Eagle???

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2006, 11:41:02 PM »

6 ish at The Eagle sounds good to me Grin

err.... where's The Eagle please?   come to that, where's Cambridge Shocked Shocked

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2006, 05:34:56 AM »

1800 at The Eagle, Cambridge it is then. I'll probably have a severe nostalgia attack. If it is the pub I think it to be, I used to eat and drink there in 1969.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
peterryb

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2006, 07:09:11 AM »

6 ish at The Eagle sounds good to me Grin

err.... where's The Eagle please?   come to that, where's Cambridge Shocked Shocked

Mic
Mix and all who are going- the Eeagle is in the centre of Cambridge, across the road and on a corner from the main University Colleges; the famous Kings is about 3 minutes walk away. Interestingly, the pub is actually owned by one of the colleges. Although it is very much on the tourist trail now, I don't think the pub itself has changed very much since the 60's. Has a non-smoking room and also a very poingant ceiling in one of the other bars, decorated with lipstick and candle wax messages from American airmen based in the area in WW2, who were about to fly off on bombing missions, some never to return. The Corn Exchange (great venue in itself) is about 5-10 minutes walk away away from the pub and college,s towards the market square. Hopefully I will also be there.
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2006, 09:08:39 AM »

Speaking of which...  The Stables, Wavendon, Milton Keynes.  Tonight.  Who's going?

I've lost my flashing badge (Cropredy tardis accident) but will wear the now-standard bright YELLOW Buell sweatshirt and glittery headgear of some sort although not a proper tiara...

See ya there!

Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »

Mave the Rave  Angry and myself  Fez will be at the Eagle  pub 1800hrs  Fez dusted  and ready . Fez Pastiegirl cant make it due to face painting duties at our god daughters birthday party  Sad .

You are what you eat !!!
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2006, 10:53:15 AM »

Smiley  Well, a successful night at the Stables last night.  Two newbies said they enjoyed themselves. Smiley  Some more autographs garnered in my Songbooks.

The set was solid, everyone seemed to be having fun.  Not much to add to the reviews above really (unlike me I know).  Peggy was mostly sitting down when he had to do flash harmonics things on the bass and needed to turn it a bit flatter to do so.  He seemed lively enough the rest of the time.  Ric & Chris put in some marvellous fiddle duetting, which the newbies really loved.  And according to them, the best song of the night was "I'm already there", apparently it sent shivers up the spine and goose-pimples on the arms - in a good way.

From our particular seats in the Stables the vocals and song introductions were a bit garbled which was a shame.  We were right next to the mixing desk too.  Still, I guess you can't have perfect sound everywhere in an auditorium.  And I'm probably just being picky because I so much wanted my newbies to have a perfect evening.  I could hear fine, but then I mostly knew what everyone was going to say anyway.

It was good to hear some stuff live that hadn't been out for a time.  I still don't really get on with the Early stuff, although Simon put in a marvellous effort on Who Knows Where The Time Goes.  That could be worth sticking on a live album sometime...  Ah, they've just released one of those...  Oh well.  No Hiring Fair, so I played that from the CD on the way home so we didn't miss out...  Red And Gold was fab.

I think the highlight of the evening for me must have been the mandolin duet "The Swirling Pit" just before Matty.  Gonna have to track that one down now...

Bumped into someone from here at the signfest - I didn't catch the name so a guess - Katy's Mum?  I'm usually mostly deaf after these gigs, so I do apologise.

Must try to get to a standing up venue next time out...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: