TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:57:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2010  (Read 150009 times)
ian-c
n3wb

Loc: Waters of Tyne

« Reply #300 on: February 26, 2010, 10:32:49 PM »

Was at Gateshead Sage on Wednesday, having missed last year's Newcastle New Tyne Theatre gig because of work.

I wasn't worried about the chaps at all; having been a fairly recent convert to seeing them live (1997 first time), I've got used to the fabulous entertainment on offer on a yearly basis. No, it was that I was taking my partner to see them for the first time. Before we met 4 years ago (and a lot of time since then), she's viewed my love for folk music with something akin to contempt, followed by confusion & finally acceptance.

So, I bought her a ticket (Row B in the stalls!!) for the gig. Guess what? She loved it!! Having only known "Si Tu Dois Partir," "Hanging Song," and "Matty Groves" from the set, she was listening with fresh ears. We now have a convert!!!

You never know, there may be a Geordie & a Canadian pair of neophytes at Cropredy this year. Fingers crossed.....

"Very earnest, very worthy, in a patrician Social Democratic, Fabian sort of way. He could be the Sidney & Beatrice Webb of the 21st Century."
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #301 on: February 27, 2010, 07:17:14 AM »

Was at Gateshead Sage on Wednesday, having missed last year's Newcastle New Tyne Theatre gig because of work.

I wasn't worried about the chaps at all; having been a fairly recent convert to seeing them live (1997 first time), I've got used to the fabulous entertainment on offer on a yearly basis. No, it was that I was taking my partner to see them for the first time. Before we met 4 years ago (and a lot of time since then), she's viewed my love for folk music with something akin to contempt, followed by confusion & finally acceptance.

So, I bought her a ticket (Row B in the stalls!!) for the gig. Guess what? She loved it!! Having only known "Si Tu Dois Partir," "Hanging Song," and "Matty Groves" from the set, she was listening with fresh ears. We now have a convert!!!

You never know, there may be a Geordie & a Canadian pair of neophytes at Cropredy this year. Fingers crossed.....

Glad to hear it went well - I'm in a similar situation next Friday at Crosby Civic Hall. I'm taking my wife and two boys along. The boys are quite looking forward to it, but my wife is a reluctant attendee. She knows (and likes) MAtty Groves, but other than that, she doesn't rally 'get' Fairport. I'm hoping she too will be a convert this time next week.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #302 on: February 27, 2010, 02:06:09 PM »

Thety've added a second night (March 11) AT Whelan's in Ireland...

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #303 on: February 28, 2010, 08:17:14 PM »

Just heard from my sister that she is taking my Mum to the Crosby Civic Hall gig on Friday (we were both born within a few hundred yards of the venue) as part of her Mothering Sunday present.  Pity I can't make it as well.  

Mum's all-time favourite FC numbers are "The Hen's March/The 4-Poster Bed" and "Cell Song" from JBL.  So she'll be happy that the first is on the set list - pity the latter isn't.  (Though if Simon reads this, perhaps he could persuade the chaps to play it for her? Please?  Wink )

Flobbadob!
jamesiegang

Loc: Mirfield West Yorks

How Can You Dance With Two Left Feet?

« Reply #304 on: March 01, 2010, 02:21:37 AM »

Great night in Huddersfield on Saturday.A full house again and a great selection of 20 items from the history of the band.
Bookended by 'Si Tu Dois Partir' & 'Meet On The Ledge' with extra vocals from Flossie & Keith (an excellent opening duo),all the band produced some highlights.
We were accompanied by friends new to the Fairports and they were impressed with the near-3 hour show.

"A Man of the Earth ...A Man of the Soil"
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #305 on: March 01, 2010, 06:52:29 AM »

Finally booked for Birmingham. Any further back and I'd be outside!

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

Loc: Coal Aston, Dronfield - Nr. Sheffield

« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2010, 11:42:51 AM »

Really enjoyed the perfomance of Rising For The Moon with Chris on lead vocals.
Have FC recorded this song since Sandy's original which, much as I like it, is rather different to the "NEW" version ?

Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #307 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:02 PM »

Great night in Huddersfield on Saturday.A full house again and a great selection of 20 items from the history of the band.
Bookended by 'Si Tu Dois Partir' & 'Meet On The Ledge' with extra vocals from Flossie & Keith (an excellent opening duo),all the band produced some highlights.
We were accompanied by friends new to the Fairports and they were impressed with the near-3 hour show.

Couldn't agree more, and the Lawrence Batley Theatre is such a smashing venue - I really must venture over the border more often.  Wink

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
jamesiegang

Loc: Mirfield West Yorks

How Can You Dance With Two Left Feet?

« Reply #308 on: March 01, 2010, 07:01:01 PM »

Anyone have a current complete setlist?

Thanks
Mark

Here's a rough running order from Huddersfield:

Si Tu Dois Partir
The Happy Man
Rocky Road
Wouldn't Say No (Great Debut)
Jewel In The Crown
Rising For The Moon
Fame & Glory
The Hen's march et al
Ukulele Central (Dig that washboard)
The Festival Bell
Walk Awhile
Dirty Linen
John Gaudie
Bowman's Retreat
Dream Song (best vocals from the band)
Hanging Song
Danny Jack's Chase (How does Ric make it semm so easy?)
Who knows Where The Time Goes? (Simon's Highlight)
Matty Groves
Meet On The Ledge

Perhaps mr Penguin would add any I've missed?

"A Man of the Earth ...A Man of the Soil"
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #309 on: March 02, 2010, 12:13:05 PM »

Perhaps mr Penguin would add any I've missed?

Looks about to me!  Cool

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
fleetwood
n3wb

« Reply #310 on: March 03, 2010, 11:49:52 AM »

A year ago after seeing FC live for the very first time at the Theatre Royal Dumfries I wrote a short review for the eurotraders website which my good friend DavidMJS posted on this forum. Well last night I saw the Fairport’s for the second time, again at the Royal and I have to say they were even better.

No problems with the sound, Simon feeling and singing well after last year’s cold, his guitar well up in the mix and a great setlist all made for a highly enjoyable evening. Last year I said that I though Gerry’s drumming “plodded along”, I must apologies to the man for this rather disparaging statement because last night I realised just what a key player he is to the overall sound keeping the rhythm going alongside Dave’s great Bass playing.

Highlights of the night have to be the inclusion of Sandy’s “Who Knows Where The Time Goes”, “Dream Song > Hanging Song” and a storming “Matty Groves” which was dropped last year because of Simon’s illness.

Also worth a mention is the opening act of Keith Donnelly and Flossie Malavialle. Flossie has a beautiful voice and was quite mesmerising as she sang Keith’s well crafted songs. Their cd “Dark Horses” is well worth the £10 and having it signed by them at the interval was a bonus.

Finally I’d like to thank all of Fairport Convention for playing musical backwaters like Dumfries and I hope we long remain a stop off on future winter tours. The theatre might have been freezing cold but the warmth that they generated will keep these old bones going for quite a while.

Cheers, Phil.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #311 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »

Nice one Phil.  

I just wish they'd play backwaters like North Wales too  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
fleetwood
n3wb

« Reply #312 on: March 03, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »

Nice one Phil.  

Well if they play Dumfries next year grab your passport and you can stay with us.

Phil.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #313 on: March 03, 2010, 09:26:54 PM »

Nice one Phil.  

even fairport have some standards Roll Eyes
the odd gig in manchester is always appreciated

The Dude abides
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #314 on: March 05, 2010, 07:36:50 AM »

I'm getting excited now - Crosby Civic Hall tonight! Really looking forward to this one. Is anyone else going?
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #315 on: March 05, 2010, 08:03:22 AM »

I will apparently be at this tonight after a shakey moment of doubt earlier in the week, first winter tour gig in 15 years hope it meets my expectations,

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #316 on: March 05, 2010, 08:39:37 AM »

I will apparently be at this tonight after a shakey moment of doubt earlier in the week, first winter tour gig in 15 years hope it meets my expectations,

Are you not in Oregan today then Neil?

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #317 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47:43 AM »

No, he'll be in the Liver (as in bird, not offal) - the pub across the road from the venue.  

I won't be at the gig (or the pub), but I'll be represented by my Mum & sister.

Kid sister told me the other day that she won the female vocal "folk song" section in the Crosby Music Festival in the Civic Hall - ooh years ago.  She can't remember what she sang, though.  So the chaps and she will have trodden the same stage - OK decades apart, but that's got to be a virtual Pegg number for her, and a virtual Miriam number for the band!  Smiley

Neil & Shankly - hope you enjoy tonight at least as much as I enjoyed Tewkesbury...

Flobbadob!
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #318 on: March 05, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »

Kid sister told me the other day that she won the female vocal "folk song" section in the Crosby Music Festival in the Civic Hall - ooh years ago.  She can't remember what she sang, though.  So the chaps and she will have trodden the same stage - OK decades apart, but that's got to be a virtual Pegg number for her, and a virtual Miriam number for the band!  Smiley

Neil & Shankly - hope you enjoy tonight at least as much as I enjoyed Tewkesbury...

Ooh - do I get a Pegg number too? I've trod the boards, dropped my trousers and dressed as a woman at Crosby Civic Hall on many occasions when (in a previous life) I was in an amateur dramatic group.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I hope my wife (who is a reluctant attendee) comes away a fan!
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #319 on: March 05, 2010, 09:08:08 AM »

Are you not in Oregan today then Neil?

No I am in Liverpool today although I will be in Oregon on Sunday it really is a small world we live in. I may be in the Liver but the schedule is tight today and food must be consumed at some point.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: