TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:36:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour reviews and photos  (Read 119580 times)
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2006, 11:41:52 AM »

I think the highlight of the evening for me must have been the mandolin duet "The Swirling Pit" just before Matty.  Gonna have to track that one down now...

Your best bet for that's probably 'In Real Time', Anna. I don't think it's totally available but I have a feeling it's available as one of the "on demand" CDs that you can get from Woolie's or Mood Music (go for the latter if possible! Smiley).

'Swirling Pit' started off as one of Peggy's instrumental spots with Tull, then he recorded it on 'Cocktail Cowboy', but it really took shape as the first part of the Matty medley for the reformed Fairport in 1985. That Matty - 1985 to 1988-ish - still ranks as one of the best versions, along with the Metal/Pink Floyd-esque one from the early/mid-1990s.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2006, 11:53:24 AM »

Bumped into someone from here at the signfest - I didn't catch the name so a guess - Katy's Mum?  I'm usually mostly deaf after these gigs, so I do apologise.

Sorry Anna, that wasn't me, although I wish it had been - I'd have loved to have been there.  I don't go in for the signing thing - too shy to chat ( Embarrassed) and usually make a fairly quick exit afterwards.
Ethans Granny (Carolyn)
going off to join the circus

Loc: Banbury

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2006, 12:39:38 PM »

Anna, I was at the Stables last night - sorry I didn't see your post yesterday.  I was 3 seats away from the sound desk (Left Door), back row.  Which side were you?  I met Kascade, and apparently Delfini was there but I haven't met her before.  I hardly know anybody.

I said hello to Peggy and Gerry, but was too shy to ask for my programme to be signed, but not too shy to ask PJ.  We had a chat about wrinkles and sheds   Smiley

I had a lovely time, and it was sooooper to hear TamLin.

Carolyn
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2006, 01:09:52 PM »

Is no one else going to the Lincoln gig tonight???

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2006, 01:38:31 PM »

the best song of the night was "I'm already there",

I like their live interpretation of that song too

but is it only me who thinks it sounds like Martha's Harbour by All About Eve?

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2006, 04:05:38 PM »

No it's not Nick.  I thought it had strains of another song in it but I couldn't think what is was.  Thanks for telling me what is was. Kiss

Not been for a while
kaylakins

Loc: Birmingham

"Charmingly witty. Quietly wise."

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2006, 07:06:35 PM »

Anyone going to the Leeds gig on Monday??

Not read through all eth pages of the thread...sorry if it's been mentioned before...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

~ Dr. Seuss
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2006, 10:44:52 PM »

the best song of the night was "I'm already there",

You are so right.. it was positively spine-tingling and had a very weird effect on me..  quite emotional.. its a wondrous, massive song..

Issy

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2006, 10:50:28 PM »

Bumped into someone from here at the signfest - I didn't catch the name so a guess - Katy's Mum?  I'm usually mostly deaf after these gigs, so I do apologise.

It was me Anna, but apologies, I was even more incoherent than usual after an FC gig Embarrassed.

That was because I'd taken 'The Gift'  with the intention of getting Chris to sign it for me and I was delighted when Ric said Beryl Marriott was there - and even more so when I saw her as I walked out so I had a brief chat and got her to sign it Cheesy Cheesy. When I got into the foyer and walked into Simon and you, I couldn't talk straight and my 'joke' to Simon merely elicited a somewhat bemused smile Embarrassed  Duh!

I was in the second row, so the sound was great, but visibility wasn't so good as the tall person in front was a bit of a fidgetter and kept moving around.  I love watching how they respond to each other and the serious expressions on all their faces when they were concentrating on playing was great as was the grinning (usually Chris and Ric duelling) I found it impossible not to respond by sitting grinning myself.

Having seen Richard Thompson last week it was interesting to compare the versions of 'Crazy Man Michael' - I like the chaps version best. Great to hear Sir Patrick Spens again and all in all it was an excellent evening - they rocked. Smiley And good to speak to them all afterwards.

Oh, and i think I may have encouraged the couple next to me to go to Cropredy as well. They'd seen FC several times and never been - I think I probably told them they hadn't lived..........oops.

Now looking forward to Saturday and meeting up with the Boardsters going to Cambridge.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2006, 08:17:11 AM »

Another fantastic night last night in Lincoln... what can I add to the above.. not a lot really.. except to say again that they really ROCKED!!

Each was well on form (despite Chris' cold) and it was brilliant to see Peggy again. There was a slight technical problem with Simon's guitar at the start..  when it was sorted Simon plucked a string to confirm...  'Well one string works' said Peggy!

The Drill Hall in Lincoln is an excellent venue..  there are a DOZEN ladies toilet cubicles.. so queues were fast moving.. always a plus there!! I met a couple of friends there from Grimsby and chatted with a woman on her own who goes to Cropredy.  There were NO TALKAWHILERS there which seemed strange as recently there are at least some everywhere I go!!!!

I sat there thinking just how lucky I am to be able to be there wrapped up in this great institution... thanks chaps... see you in Chesterfield!

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2006, 09:22:56 AM »

Anyone going to the Leeds gig on Monday??

Not read through all eth pages of the thread...sorry if it's been mentioned before...

I will be there. Seat A1 by some fluke!
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2006, 02:58:16 PM »

Delfini, you did seem a bit flustered! Smiley  I wasn't quick enough to get a seat on the ground floor, but the view from the balcony was great.  Ideal for the newbies although the sound wasn't as crisp as I might have liked up there.  That's life, it's probably nearly impossible to get perfect sound everywhere in an auditorium.

Ethan's Granny, I was just the other side of the mixing desk from you! If only we'd known, we could have really wound Rob Braviner up by talking across it...  I've met a few boardsters, at Cropredy and so on, but to be honest I'd have trouble recognising them again.  That's why I always try to wear the yellow sweater, it's bound to be unique, which makes it easier for people to identify me and introduce themselves.  Even if I've met people once before I struggle to introduce myself just in case I've got it wrong...

I wish I was going to see them again on this tour, but I'll just have to wait until Cropredy I suppose...

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2006, 05:44:10 PM »

Each was well on form (despite Chris' cold)

Oh dear - chris has it already?.....Gerry started it by going down with it at Exeter on Tuesday! Rob did expect it to go round the tour bus quickly....

peterryb

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2006, 01:22:57 AM »

Just got back from great gig at Cambridge Corn Exchange -very nice to meet other boardsters there; Gower Flower, Mix, Delfine, Pastie Boy, Adrian and others. Corn Exchange, although not sold out, was a lot fuller than winter tour of last year.May be the "Folk Britannia" and "Folk Awards" effect. Great set, good sound, all performed with usual musical  acomplishment. I did think Simon looked knckered, but then Lincoln, Yeovil and Cambridge all in 2-3 days, is some travelling. I was totally knocked out by Ashley Hutchings Rainbow Chasers. Incredible music- all swirling, powerfull violins and viola with profound and reflective lyrics. Bought the CD and it made the journey back up the A11 much more enjoyable! Hope you boarsders who were there have/have had a smooth journey back home.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2006, 09:36:54 AM »

anyone going to be at Leamington tonight.

I was going to give this tour a miss but the reviews have swayed me.

Jackdaw
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2006, 10:42:52 AM »

I will be at Leamington tonight.  I'm looking forward to it.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2006, 10:45:52 AM »

I'll be there too.....definitely looking forward to it.

Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »

Tis midnight--- I`m driving past the Alconburys with Mave The Rave by my side when it happened.  --- The twelfth chime . A blood curdling scream of a banshee and then BOOM its happened--- its over  .  Mave the Rave has re-metamorphosised back into plain old Pastiemum (Not a pretty sight). Boy did she/we  have a BALL that night in Cambridge . The only person she diddnt hug and kiss was the mayor of Oxford  -----unless I missed that . What a great night  . What great company . Truly ,many thanks  all there for making Mave the Rave happiest woman on the planet .
Got her home only to find she has lost a shoe Wink------She is praying Rik Sanders  will turn up with it ASAP. Now----THAT WOULD BE A FAIRY TALE ENDING . ---Fab just bloody fab . Fez----The Gig was`nt bad either Grin

You are what you eat !!!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2006, 02:00:48 PM »

So pleased Mave the Rave had a great night.. and the rest of you... she's lovely!!!

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2006, 04:24:44 PM »

Tis midnight--- I`m driving past the Alconburys with Mave The Rave by my side when it happened.  --- The twelfth chime . ..........

It wasn't me - I wasn't home then Wink

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: