TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:49:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WinTour 2013  (Read 91760 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 09:35:02 AM »

I only saw Jakeonce, in Mansfield.  But am so very glad that I did.. What an evening that was!

I am very much looking forward to seeing Fake too  Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 01:47:06 PM »

As stated in the last wintour programme, the support act doesn't get a share of the ticket price - the only income they get is from CD sales.

Really?  Is this common practice, seems a bit harsh.  I know its all about exposure and that but given the profit margin on CDs that's not a lot of money for a night's work.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

Loc: Coal Aston, Dronfield - Nr. Sheffield

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

To try and hit this as hard as possible, lets go for Jake as the extremist that he definately wasn't -
Take a listen to "One Of Them" which in his inimitable way turns out to be, arguably, the very finest and incredibly subtle anti racist song.
Or "The Remembrance" which grabs you by the seat of the pants and puts you right on the spot if in any way advocating war as a solution to anything.
I know John (Fake) can deliver both of these songs if it suits but pretty well the entire Thackray back catalogue is full of gems so he's spoilt for choice. Some of the songs, already mentioned here, are as controversial now as they were way back then and others are just sublime works of art, eg "Yan Tan Tetheran" and "Old Molly Metcalf" from the Yorkshire Dales,
"The Blacksmith" inspired from Laurie Lee's Cider with Rosie and "The Gorilla" (from the writings of George Brassens) both hilarious with their inplausible/bizarre tales of love (and OK yes, some bestiality) "The Jolly Captain" "The Bantam Cock" and of course his classic "Sister Josephine" ................. wonderful and as Billy mentions a sod to play, there are dozens of them.
I would suggest to anyone that John's performance could be just the thing to help offset the effect of current wrongs of our world. Sadly Jake didn't have the foresight to write about the bankers but it'd have been a gasser if he had !  

Not only do the support on the Wintour command no fee, they have to provide their own transport and cover any accomodation with CD sales as their only income - but they also get the next years Cropredy Thursday spot which if you were to ask Bob Fox for example, can turn out to be rather a good leg up for the career.

(Oh, sorry I should have made it clear - I am a dedicated Jake fan and am now well impressed with John's work as Fake.)

Jamie

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »

Sadly Jake didn't have the foresight to write about the bankers but it'd have been a gasser if he had !  

Well 'The Bull' isn't specifically about bankers but if the cap fits...
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »

Not only do the support on the Wintour command no fee, they have to provide their own transport and cover any accomodation with CD sales as their only income - but they also get the next years Cropredy Thursday spot which if you were to ask Bob Fox for example, can turn out to be rather a good leg up for the career.

Hmm, 30-odd gigs at an almost certain loss in the hope of bigger and better things in the future.  Probably best I don't say any more about this...

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »

Hmm, 30-odd gigs at an almost certain loss in the hope of bigger and better things in the future.  Probably best I don't say any more about this...

Opening acts are very rarely afforded any support I have always been given to understand. In fact, I have heard many the horror story from bands that were playing support, only to be treated terribly by the main act. Its only an "almost certain loss" if the support act treats it as a reason to go nuts, closing down the pub and staying in luxury hotels...just because they are support to somebody selling more CD's than them. If however, the support act treats it as one more gig in a full year of gigs travelling in the van, and eating **** food to save money, and staying with friends to save money, than how is it any different to any other gig they do throughout the year? In addition, Fairport Winter Tour openers have recently been lone singers with their guitars...or duos like Kat and Jamie. Not a lot of expenditure to run through for them as there is for a band. And I am willing to bet that no Fairport opener has ever slagged them off for treating them badly. Its an arrangement, and I'm sure its explained to them going into it.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
scarabus (Kevin)

Loc: Hertfordshire

Cutting wood whenever convenient

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2012, 07:13:35 AM »

You ask anyone of this parish whether they'd like to tour with Fairport, even at their own expense, and I bet 90% would say yes and 10% would live to regret saying no.

Loganberry jam is another kettle of fish
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »

After learning about the WinTour support, I decided to search out a little about the late Jake Thackray...I can vaguely remember his "That's Life" appearances on the telly when I was a small kid, and taking very little notice of him at the time...My loss !...

This is exquisite...and moved me to tears when I watched it last night... Cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXINuf5nbI&feature=related
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »

Prompted by this thread, I have just bought an MP3 download from Amazon of "Jake In A Box" EMI Recordings 1967-1976...A bargain at just £7.49 !

A really clever wordsmith, and some lovely tunes and fine guitar playing...Enjoying this a lot... Smiley
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »

Having now been educated by John's performance at the Moonbeams Festival, I can safely say that I'm looking forward to his support slot on the Wintour.

John is also a really nice chap - Came and apologised to us when we were waiting for him to start as the festival was running a little behind schedule and his performance had been delayed slightly.

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Fake Thackray(John W)
n3wb

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »

Really looking forward to Cropredy on Thursday - not playing so I can chill, chat and enjoy the glorious English summer - and watch the wonderful Kieran Goss, plus FC of course! Come and say hello.. or better still ... hello, would you like a beer......

Thanks for all the comments on here... well... MOST of the comments on here  Wink

John
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »

Did this years Cropredy programme have the wintour dates in it? If so, can anyone tell me if they are playing the union chapel?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 10:00:21 PM »

Yes they are. March 9th.

And St George's Church in Brighton which is a lovely venue. Feb 9th.  Smiley
Herts Claire

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 11:37:50 PM »

I can't wait - have just booked tickets for the WT at St Albans.
I've seen the Fake Thackrays several times and they are a delight, and most respectful to the great troubadour that was Jake Thackray.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »

Could any of you kind folk do me a big favour? I usually meet up with an old schoolmate for the weekend of the union chapel gig. However, next year it clashes with my favourite half marathon. I was wondering if anyone could post the wintour Friday/Saturday dates? I could then try and agree with friend (and get permission from our respective missus) for an alternate weekend rendezvous gig. I live south coast, he lives east coast. Might help me avoid making a difficult decision as to running or watching!
Thanks!
Adam
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »

Could any of you kind folk do me a big favour? I usually meet up with an old schoolmate for the weekend of the union chapel gig. However, next year it clashes with my favourite half marathon. I was wondering if anyone could post the wintour Friday/Saturday dates? I could then try and agree with friend (and get permission from our respective missus) for an alternate weekend rendezvous gig. I live south coast, he lives east coast. Might help me avoid making a difficult decision as to running or watching!
Thanks!
Adam

Just a few suggestions
Sat 9th Jan St Georges Church Brighton
Fri 1st Feb Apex Theatre Bury St Edmunds
Sat 2nd Feb West Cliff Theatre Clacton
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2012, 09:21:30 PM »

Thanks!
Adam

Just a few suggestions

I think those dates are a month out. They should be 9th Feb & 1st & 2nd March respectively.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »

Thanks!
Adam

Just a few suggestions

I can recommend The Apex as a venue. New concert hall, very nice building, and the sound is just superb.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Paul Mutum
n3wb

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »

Hello,

Does anyone know the date for:

St Albans
Stables - Milton Keynes
Wycombe Swan
Beck Theatre hayes

Aside from St Albans they do not go to the others automatically each year - but they often do.    Bit of pressure about St Albans as it will my 25th year consecutively so better book a day off from work in good time.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Mutum
n3wb

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »

Not sure how these boards work entirely - why am I a Lama? - how does it know I have a season ticket for Whisnade and London Zoo?

Paul
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: