TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:31:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT's (guitar,vocal)  (Read 3238 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« on: September 03, 2008, 10:37:38 AM »

Much to my complete and utter amazement, I found a copy of Richard Thompson's (guitar,vocal) album at the weekend. I was on holiday up in Fife and a friend suggested we go into a record shop in St Andrews called Unknown Pleasures. It has the best selection of vinyl I've seen in years and it was like going back in time browsing through the LPs.

I wasn't really looking for anything in particular but was flicking thru the folk section when I found (guitar,vocal) for a mere £10. I assumed it would be a well worn 2nd hand copy but it is in very good condition. I was then paranoid about it getting damaged on the journey home but it survived and it's great to hear the boogie version of Mr Lacey and the studio version of Poor Will & the JH. Plus of course Flee As A Bird. Lovely track.

I can't quite believe I finally found a copy. I keep looking at it to check I'm not dreaming.  Grin

Oh, and in the Scottish/Irish section I found an LP on the Beltona label. Sadly not Jimmy Shand but an Irish group called the Gallowglass Ceili Band. It's from 1963 and quite possibly the sort of thing played in the Thompson household when RT was growing up.

"Finest label in the land
They don't make em like that anymore"

Cool

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: