TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:04:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 160007 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2007, 09:59:35 AM »

According to the US agent's website, it's the trio (plus Rob B)

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 11:44:50 AM »

'We were never fashionable folk'

Marky

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent

Back Wom

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2007, 07:47:34 AM »

Picked up a couple of tickets for the Brum gig on good ole Ebay last night, front row stalls. Seeyaz there!  Cheesy

Keep your glow on...
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2007, 11:27:41 AM »

Seems to me that several dates into the tour there have been precious few reviews or comments about the gigs themselves. I wonder why this is, have talkawhilers not been to the early gigs, or is it simply that there isn't much to say?

Jackdaw
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »

Good point jackdaw.
Come on folks, how are the numbers off the new CD sounding live?
Are TTL as good as those of us who saw them at Cropredy remember them?
Did anyone buy Ric a new joke book for Christmas (he says hopefully).

Lets hear from you then please.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2007, 12:09:35 PM »

I'm seeing them next week in Lincoln.. I will let you know...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2007, 12:34:25 PM »

I went to the Tunbridge Wells at the Assembly Hall gig last night so here are a few thoughts.   I always find that venue so hot ,

Tiny Tin Ladies were pretty amazing for such youngsters - quite cheeky too  – I have seen them before at Cropredy and was always impressed by the ferocity of such little ladies strumming so hard. A highlight for me was when the youngest -Tiny Tin Lady Beth (I think) announced they were going to do a number that she had written for her GCSE music course work! What a great opportunity for a bunch of talented young musicians .

The chaps were in good form – looking pretty relaxed – Ric as always wearing the tour t shirt (brown)  however Peggy had amp problems which generated a sort of interesting drone (strangely in tune with the song)  all through the opening numbers Widow of Westmorland and Sir Patrick .

Not being the biggest fan of some of Chris’s compositions (you can all shoot me now if you want) I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed his  “Keep on Turning the Wheel” which was a upbeat song about VW camper vans.   it also gave an opportunity for a bit of “who here owns a camper van” banter with the audience  while Peggy’s amp probs were fixed.

Ric’s two compositions f the new CD were both beautiful “Your Heart and Mine” and the “The Bowman's Return” - a great fiddle duel with Chris punctuated by some percussive interjections from Gerry.

New song “Untouchable” gave the usual opportunity for Gerry to emerge from behind the drum kit and nervously do some introductory waffling – as always warmly received from the audience.

All in all a very enjoyable evening with a fabulous encore singing the harmonious Steve Ashley composition “Best Wishes” a big surprise there  finished off with Meet on the Ledge joined by the Tiny Tin Ladies and the tiniest one singing a verse beautifully.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2007, 01:32:32 PM »

The tour T comes in short & long sleeves. The short-sleeved has the dates on the backm the long-sleeved doesn't. I think the short is £14 & the long £20 (ouch!) they are both t-shirt material, the long is not a sweatshirt.

The long is a dasrker brown than the the short. No other new merch, except the FC album, obviously.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2007, 01:33:54 PM »

The tour T comes in short & long sleeves. The short-sleeved has the dates on the backm the long-sleeved doesn't. I think the short is £14 & the long £20 (ouch!) they are both t-shirt material, the long is not a sweatshirt.

The long is a dasrker brown than the the short. No other new merch, except the FC album, obviously.

So what do they have on the front then, Chris?!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »

The 40th Anniversary design, if I remember.....you can tell that I'm not sure whether I want one, can't you.....!

Off to Leamington tonight, I understand that it's snowing again.....

Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2007, 02:03:33 PM »

It just says 40 glorious years on the front of the T's with a gig list on back.  I didn't bother getting one but I stocked up on a 3rd 2006 Cropredy shirt for just a fiver!!  WHOOOHOOO!! (sadly for anyone who is a bit skinny only available in XL - who said beer drinking is bad for your wealth?)
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2007, 04:55:02 PM »

BROWN!!!!! Lips Sealed Sad......s'pose thats to hide the curry stains.....
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2007, 05:09:24 PM »

Hi, I'm new here but certainly not new to Fairport or to Cropredy.

You were looking for tour reviews so I thought I'd chip in. I went to the Worthing gig on Tuesday, the night after the Folk Awards so Simon kindly brought the Who Knows... award to show us. I think there were a couple of sore heads on stage from the night before.

TTL were great and always impress live, though I am less convinced by their album which I have had for about a year. Similarly I am unsure about the new Fairport disc though it certainly has some highlights. Keep On Turning The Wheel doesn't seem to work on record or live but both Edge of the World & Hawkwood's Army fit right in to the repertoire with the former being considerably more powerful live than the studio version. The Glenn Tilbrook song, Untouchable was nice too.

The Worthing audience is always a bit reserved and the show took a while to warm up but the second half got the blood pumping. The new arrangement of Matty is a partial and effective return to the Maart years with Simon on electric guitar. I always like to see that as I sometimes think the rock aspect of Fairport's folk rock has gone missing in recent years but Simon played more electric on Tuesday than I have seen in a long time. I always enjoy any rendition of Polly On The Shore & Sir Patrick Spens, highlights both for me.

Inevitably a lot of favourites were sacrificed to the new material but that is understandable. There are perhaps stronger songs on the album than a couple of the ones chosen but it takes a while to find the audience's favourites. The additional voices of TTL allowed Simon to really flex his vocal chords on Meet On The Ledge.

A good gig then, especially for so early in the tour and after the previous night's celebrations. Anyone picking up the tour later on will I am sure enjoy it but we always do don't we? Even if it is not the set list we might have chosen.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »

The new arrangement of Matty is a partial and effective return to the Maart years with Simon on electric guitar. I always like to see that as I sometimes think the rock aspect of Fairport's folk rock has gone missing in recent years but Simon played more electric on Tuesday than I have seen in a long time. I always enjoy any rendition of Polly On The Shore & Sir Patrick Spens, highlights both for me.

Thanks for the review...and welcome!  The above certainly constitutes good news as far as I am concerned.  I agree with you (and many others) about the need to get a little 'rock' back into that folk-rock equation.  Simon's a much underrated (including by himself) electric guitarist...he should do more more of it...  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2007, 08:01:51 PM »

So what do they have on the front then, Chris?!

Here Gareth and Francis are seen modelling the tour Tshirts,  the darker one worn by Francis is long sleeved @ £20 Gareth's short sleeved T is priced @ £15

[attachment deleted by admin]
Stationary M25 Traveller

Loc: Not quite over the hill, Kent

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2007, 08:12:25 PM »

I'm glad the electric guitar is out again - really looking forward to Sunday in Canterbury now !!

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2007, 10:36:16 PM »

Anyone else going to the Stables at Wavendon on Wednesday???

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2007, 12:26:42 AM »

Don't think "brown", think "chocolate"  Smiley Smiley

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2007, 10:29:53 AM »

MMMmmm... Galaxy...  yumyum...  Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2007, 11:29:06 AM »

Don't think "brown", think "chocolate"  Smiley Smiley

I always think chocolate, though I try not to wear it! Wink Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: