TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:27:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Band Lives yet again!  (Read 147420 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »

When will Blair step out from under the shadow of his dad, or will he ride his coat tails forever?

That doesn't seem a very nice thing to say - who knows how their relationship works.

DW
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »

Just call them the New Albion Band and get on with it.

I agree andy and said it earlier in the thread
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »

Crikey. It's only rock n roll for gawd's sake.

I am because I think I am............ I think.
Can you have half a hole?
What happens if you get to the end of infinity?
Why does anyone care what a 'new' band is called?

Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »

The beauty of Descartes' famous claim, though, is that even your thinking that you're not proves that you are!

No. Though you can have one hole half the size of another.

No "if" about it; you can't!

I don't know, but apparently they do, to judge by the current thread. And I don't think it's so much a worry about what they're called, as about what they're claiming to be.

Sorry, I promise I'll shut up now, before you all come round with the hemlock!

NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »

The beauty of Descartes' famous claim, though, is that even your thinking that you're not proves that you are!

--Well, you can't have a whole without hole, so how could you have half without a whole hole in the word whole?  And why do they call doughnut holes doughnut holes when they are clearly doughnut solids?

--Unless, of course, the end and the beginning of infinity are the same and all of time is really one long chain of now that we
are just to narrow to perceive.

I don't know, but apparently they do, to judge by the current thread. And I don't think it's so much a worry about what they're called, as about what they're claiming to be.

--We use old names for new people all the time, but apparently it does raise some people's ire when one does that with a band.  As I noted earlier, if Rainbow Chasers is the best Ashley can come up with, and if his son isn't any better at coming up with band names, I'd rather they
just keep a decent band name and get on with making decent music.  Better than calling themselves Toenail Clippers or Nose Pickers, I reckon.

As I said before, this is quite entertaining.  Hopefully, the (new) Albion band will be at least as nice a diversion.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »

Well the last thing I expected was somebody comparing himself with Socrates, but I suppose you're the nearest thing we've got.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »

"now i'm getting older
And I find I've lost me pace,
My son who knows the figures
Will step in to take me place"
Ashley Hutchings, "Mr Trills Song" via Mr Fox and Grandson Of Morris On.

And so it came to pass.  Clearly Ashley's happy about it or it wouldn't have happened.  The folk process in action, really.

Also, what with the film and solo work, this is only part of Blair's activities anyway.  So no need for the impertinent, personal and probably jealous remarks occasionally surfacing here - by which I'm not referring to those expressing genuine concern in a mature fashion...

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »

Well the last thing I expected was somebody comparing himself with Socrates, but I suppose you're the nearest thing we've got.

Still a VERY long way off, though!!
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »

When will Blair step out from under the shadow of his dad, or will he ride his coat tails forever?

That doesn't seem a very nice thing to say - who knows how their relationship works.

DW

No, it's a horrible thing to say.

Blair on his own:
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLNi6yn3D2mc&h=FAQBPhwF2

I haven't posted here for quite a while but nothing changes - same negative thinking from all the usual suspects. I look forward to seeing The Albion Band and so should you.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2011, 07:26:11 PM »

DW

No, it's a horrible thing to say.

Blair on his own:
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLNi6yn3D2mc&h=FAQBPhwF2

I agree entirely. This was, other than Nic singing himself, my highlight of that gig. Blair was so much better when he didn't have his Dad playing along with him. He's a very good guitarist, he's got a great voice and he's not bad looking either. He also happens to be doing a similar thing to his Dad. So?

I think some people need to get off their high horses and just enjoy the music (man Tongue).

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »

And perhaps even go so far as to appreciate the fact you can see an Albion Band live at all!  Not one single line-up has ever made it to the southern hemisphere (though that *may* change with this one...)

So be grateful, that's all.

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2011, 08:16:06 PM »

Ah Hemlock.What a band they were. All children of the original members of Hemlock. Very derivative of Gryphon
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »

If the music's good, does it really matter what the band's moniker is?

MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2011, 01:19:43 AM »

If the music's good, does it really matter what the band's moniker is?

Nail. Head. Sorted.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2011, 07:58:46 AM »

I would think the name is only really a problem if there is intent to mislead, and that isn't the case here.
Anyone who is interested in the Albion Band will know what they are getting, and anyone who isn't interested won't go anyway. Or if they get dragged along to a gig by a friend, they will just enjoy it or not purely on the merits of the gig itself.

Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2011, 08:16:27 AM »

I would think the name is only really a problem if there is intent to mislead, and that isn't the case here.
Anyone who is interested in the Albion Band will know what they are getting, and anyone who isn't interested won't go anyway. Or if they get dragged along to a gig by a friend, they will just enjoy it or not purely on the merits of the gig itself.

As Fairport followers we are used to different configurations of a band and although we discuss the merits and skills of these different incarnations we understand that it is still Fairport...  Wink

Indeeed I would humbly suggest that no other band has had so many changes in line up in a long existance Cheesy

Why should it be any different for Albion Band??? What we need to be doing is looking to a new mix of music in the same tradition and taking  the opportunity to reflect and rejoice in the talants that are brought together and the way that  blend changes

Good luck to Blair , Ashley and other band members old new and yet to be unveiled Smiley

Dave P
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »

Good luck to Blair , Ashley and other band members old new and yet to be unveiled Smiley

Agreed, but, pace Mr Angry, the situation is unusual, and I think it's only fair for it to be discussed, in a discussion forum.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »

Agreed, but, pace Mr Angry, the situation is unusual, and I think it's only fair for it to be discussed, in a discussion forum.

And therein lies the point. I don't think anyone is angry, just a bit surprised that there should be a new line up of the Albion Band with no physical link to any previous incarnation. I think it looks like a great line up and I look forward to hearing them. I just have trouble thinking of them as the Albion Band. Now if they called themselves Sons of Albion (with all due respect to Katriona), that would be great. But as others have said, what's in a name?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »

Whilst I understand the criticism of the opinions of  those who, like me, who don't approve of this as currently described, I'd just like to try and clarify why I think what I think.

1) Intent to mislead isn't the point, if a punter sees "The Albion Band" with no qualifiers, then they'd be entitled to see at least some previous members (see (2). Also, intentional or not, using a band's name after it becomes defunct leads to all kinds of interesting points. Even worse is when multiple ex-members creat multiple bands with the old name (such as Bucks Fizz) but at least we're avoiding that particular nightmare.

2) As to the "original member" point about Fairport incarnations that haven't included one, the point was always that there were some common members between one incarnation and the next

3) The LSO argument doesn't apply because they won't be advertising themselves as such, they advertise the music - although the Berlin Philharmonic, for instance, has a good rep, I'd still not go to their performance if they're playing a piece that I know I won't like, such as Stockhausen  - can't stand the blighter's music. Even then, I've never heard of an orchestra which completely changed personnel all in one go. So there's still some continuity.

Now I know that we can agree to disagree, so rather than abreacting to those who don't agree with you here, let's try and confine the arguments to non-personal statements about TAW'ers or indeed the New Albion Band's membership.

As I've said before, my simple solution is to prefix the band name with the word "New". It implies a succession, even similar musical style, but does not imply that any band members were in the Albion Band we saw last year.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2011, 09:50:53 AM »

And therein lies the point. I don't think anyone is angry, just a bit surprised that there should be a new line up of the Albion Band with no physical link to any previous incarnation. I think it looks like a great line up and I look forward to hearing them. I just have trouble thinking of them as the Albion Band. Now if they called themselves Sons of Albion (with all due respect to Katriona), that would be great. But as others have said, what's in a name?
Sons of Albion is already taken mate. God knows what trouble that would cause, The Albion Band turn up with none of the same members playing completely different music. Actually till I looked it up I thought Sons of Albion was a slightly slow on the uptake terrorist organisation fighting against the Roman occupation.

While we're on the subj. , does anybody remember the Stretch/Fleetwood Mac affair? In the middle of a Mac meltdown, the only member willing and able to tour a set of US dates was Mick Fleetwood, so they recruited Stretch (one hit, the magnificent "Why did you do it?") to fill in for the brain-addled AOR combo. Unfortunately, Mick then dropped out as well, leaving the lads to an increasingly embarassing and protest-ridden progress round the Mid-west. Now that really was passing-off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: